VW Passat Steering Problems - Robes
I am experiencing some problems with the steering on my 2001 diesel Passatt. A couple of days ago I noticed a pulsing on the wheel on full lock whilst parking. It then developed a knocking noise whilst driving that seemed to come and go. I have just topped up the steering pump reservoir which was on Min. The noise was still there so I have removed the engine cover and whilst ticking over I have noticed that the knocking noise is coming from the alternator/steering pump drive belt tensioner which seems to be vibrating badly and the belt is whipping. I have just removed the belt and the idler wheel bearing seems ok and the pump spins freely.

I am wondering if somehow air has gotten into the steering system causing the pump to judder?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Robes
VW Passat Steering Problems - Robes
Just as an update if anyone is interested, on further investigation I have found that the belt flapping and vibration is not continuous but seems to start when the steering wheel is locked over and then it doesnt go away even when the wheel is straightened until the engine is shut off. Since the original posting, I have had a lot of different advice; the belt tensioner, the steering pump wheel, the Vibration Dampner on the flywheel and most recently the free wheel pulley on the alternator. I'm in the process of stripping the front of the car down to get access to these parts. Any more advice would be welcome!

Robes
VW Passat Steering Problems - Number_Cruncher
>>I have just topped up the steering pump reservoir which was on Min.

Not being a strong believer in co-incidence, perhaps it might be worth checking where the PAS fluid had gone to. PAS systems don't usually use oil.

If the PAS pump has ever run without enough oil in, or with a clogged filter, then it is possible that the PAS pump may be damaged, either by lack of oil, or by cavitation, and the PAS system may be full of shards of failed pump. As a quick (and cheap!) check, if there's a filter in the base of the reservoir, or pump inlet, is it clean and clear?

If you have air in the PAS system, then, usually, this can be bled out by running the engine, and slowly cycling the steering between extremes of lock, holding it for a while at each extremity. All the while, of course, make sure that the reservoir remains topped up, to avoid entraining more air.

Number_Cruncher
VW Passat Steering Problems - Hamsafar
Did you use the special green PAS fluid?
It is much thinner than normal ATF.
If air is drawn in, it usually aeriates the fluid and makes it look cloudy and makes a grinding sound like an electric blender or whisk.

Here are some other forums where you can search the archives, if you haven't already!

www.passatworld.com/forums/
www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11