cutting out - carole
Just checking, you understand, but my beloved Xsara (!) is cutting out again and, as usual, nothing showed when the garage put it on the machine. They've had it for a week now, running it around to see if it will do it for them. It won't, of course. And why they think they'll be lucky enough for it to happen within the space of the few days they've had it, when it can go weeks without even so much as faltering I don't know. (That's the exciting thing about intermittent electrical faults.) Anyway, some bright spark in the back says he thinks he knows what it might be - an oil sensor connected to the power steering: when braking and turning at the same time (that's when it usually happens) he reckons it puts such a load on the battery that it cuts out. Now, is this just a tale to get me off their back or could it be that after two years my problems could finally be over? (It's also had to have a new alarm sensor recently because it kept going off - isn't that sometimes battery related? And since it was fitted the car doesn't beep when it's locked. Strange.)

Anyway - they're fitting the part, on the basis that they've nothing to lose, and I expect Citroen to stump up the £16 it costs. But it's going to take them a fortnight to deliver the part, so I'll have it back in the meantime - and what's the betting the thing cuts out the minute I pick it up?

Oh, and if it doesn't work does anyone want to buy a nice Xsara VTR?
Re: cutting out - Roger k.
I had a similar problem of irregular cutting out.

It turned out to be the printed circuit fuse box.
(Very difficult to diagnose when most of the time everything works fine)

Good luck!
Re: cutting out - Stephen Rodrigues
My Peugeot 405 also has crappy French engineering - although it's now got nearly 130,000 miles to show for it. It's cutting out problem was traced to a pinhole in a coolant hose which was causing steam to condense on the HT leads and cause weak spark. This wouldn't show on any diagnostics machines or anything, but once the hose actually blew and was changed, the coolant level stopped mysteriously going down and the intermittent stalling problem ceased.
Re: cutting out - Trevor Potter
Try japanese!
Re: cutting out - Tony
My japanese car bought in 1992 at 9months old a nissan primera I , had a problem of cutting out when cold and stopping a roundabouts a very dangorous event , now i'm an electrician so i know all about intermitant faults , they are extremly difficult to locate and sometimes i have had three faults at once , not just the one so be understanding with the garage , they don't have the high tech systems i have to problem solve in modern industry. As mr potter suggests japanese are generally more reliable than any french or german car (british are just rubbish) but do still have problems , after the initial problem solved over 5 weeks the car never let me down over 4 years , the ECU was changed , one of many things that could be the problem , good luck.
Re: cutting out - crazed
sure it wasnt built in sunderland ?
Re: cutting out - Flat in Fifth
Hey up Carole, how is Coles car park these days?

Stuart