Volvo S40 Diesel - LinuxGeek
I'll might start annoying some of you on this board but I'm just curious and expanding my choice of cars. I'm taking my time to buy one for myself because I want a car that I'll keep for sometime so I'm not in any rush. Last night while talking to a mechanic friend he suggested me to check out Volvo S40 diesels. I've checked the prices on autotrader and I'll be able to get R/S reg within my budget. I've got no idea of how good Volvos are and how good their diesels are. I would like the opinions of you experts. I really would like to know how reliable are they and are they economical. I read on Parkers that these cars have got Renault Diesel engines, any thoughts on that?
Volvo S40 Diesel - barney100
I've had a couple of Volvo petrol cars and thet are anexcellent long term bet...see the Volvo owners site high mileage club. A mechanic who used to sercvice my daughters 340 years ago said the Renault engine used was built to Volvo specifications, this may apply to the diesel too.
Volvo S40 Diesel - SjB {P}
I have Volvo to my core but consider the S/V40 diesels of this vintage to be horrid contraptions.
Slow, noisy, unrefined, not especially economical, and some are plagued with niggling faults.
You can do much better.
Volvo S40 Diesel - Brian Tryzers
Real Volvos are great, if you like comfort, space and solidity, as I do. But the old S40 doesn't really qualify: it has proper Volvo seats but, to me at least, not much else to commend it. I was given (a petrol) one as courtesy car once while my S60 was being serviced, and I thought it was horrible - noisy, slow, rough-riding and short of space. (It was a revolting shade of metallic yellow too, but I don't think that's compulsory.)

I don't know your budget but if you're considering a nine-year-old car, I can't help thinking you'd be far better off with a more recent Focus.
Thanks for your replies. My budget is £2k. The reason I've started to look at bigger diesel cars is, they tend to be cheaper than the hatchbacks and have better kit like remote central locking, air con, abs etc... I'm also thinking about Passat, Avensis and Primera all diesels though!
Volvo S40 Diesel - stunorthants26
The diesel isnt what you would call advanced, so many who are used to modern diesels wouldnt like it, but in my experience of Renault engined Volvos, they are usually very reliable IF they have been properly serviced by a Volvo dealer. Look at the petrols though as they are also quite frugal.

If your friend suggested checking them out, Im sure he is for a reason from a mechanics point of view. The S40 has always had a shine in terms of the way its designed - whenever ive driven and cleaned them, ive always come away thinking id like one.

I owned a 460 1.8 which had a Renault engine - mine was 12 years old but had full Volvo history and was utterly reliable. It was also one of those cars that was thoughtfully designed if dated - everything made sense and worked! I still hanker after it.
Volvo S40 Diesel - SjB {P}
Indeed they are nicely designed, and look super. There are some nice engines, too, with the 2.0T as the pick of the bunch; smooth, punchy, economical, and without the T4's ability to overwhelm the chassis. The diesels though are horrid.

Regarding the 460 comment; Mum has a 1989 440 with 1.7 Renault engine that she's owned from new. It too has been totally, utterly, dependably reliable despite sitting outside in all weathers and receiving a minimum of TLC. Chronic squeaks and rattles, and the engine always moans like a demented cow on startup, but everything works, the engine pulls hard, and belying the Volvo reputation in place at the time, it handles like a go kart.
Volvo S40 Diesel - PW
Would also not recommend this car. Dad had an R reg 2.0 petrol that I drove quite a bit. Only good thing can say was that it was better than the C180 it replaced, and was reasonably comfortable.

The interior felt cheap and not very well built, I hated the power steering as felt very artificial and the car was thirsty. When buying it Dad talked to the salesman about the 1.8 and the Diesel and was advised to stick to the 2.0. Was even given a back to back test drive between the 1.8 and 2.0 to prove the point. Someone I worked with at the time had the diesel- wasn't very complimentary about it either.

He bought the car to keep for a whilst, but got rid within a couple of years.

Perversely though I would recommend a later facelifted model with the VAG engines. Friend had one of these for a bit and really liked it. Steering was improved and the new engine seemed to be a big improvement over the Renault units. And for some reason, even though dash design was the same, the quality and feel were much better than I remembered on Dads.
Volvo S40 Diesel - Collos25
Made by Renault in the old Dutch Daf factory using mainly Renault parts the heater control is a weak spot and cost about as much to replace as the cars will be worth.
Volvo S40 Diesel - rogue-trooper
I thought it was made alongside Mitsubishi and had nowt to do with Renault.
Might be now but he is looking at an R reg.
Appologies angelman just done a google to refresh my old tired mind bought by Volvo in 1971 then a massive government subsidy to keep it afloat followed by a joint venture with mitsubishi in 1991 due to close in 2009 or drastic production cuts when the colt production finishes.
Volvo S40 Diesel - Happy Blue!
Yes but used the Renault engines as in the 440 I think.

A friend had one and it was unreliable. Avoid.
Thanks for all your feedbacks so far. Would you guys recommend around R place Passat and or Avensis? Diesel of course!
Or how about Primera?
Volvo S40 Diesel - PW
Avensis is OK so long as you are a gentle driver- handles like a beached whale. Rear visibility on the hatch is pretty awful. The 1.8 petrol is also fairly economical but not very quick. Personally, I didn't like the 1.8 I drove as thought it was extremely boring, but would probably make a good m-way commuter.

Not driven Passat or Primera so cant comment, but known a few people with Primeras and have always rated them highly.
Volvo S40 Diesel - Ed V
Is your expected mileage enough to merit a diesel? Oil changes every 5,000 miles.

Volvo choice is safer than many since most owners tend to be cautious drivers and flush enough to spend on proper care of the car.

Car Gaint tells me you can get a 6 year old Mondeo 1.8, a 5 year old 1.7 diesel Corsa (82,000) or a 4 year old Laguna 1.8. I'd take the Renault meself, depending on miles. Younger is better than low miles in my view.
Even though I'm 28 I drive like people in 40s/50s and I'm not the one who goes after fast flashy cars.
I'll be doing 80+ miles commuting daily from next week and most of it is motorway journey so ideally I want a diesel which is economical, reliable and comfy if possible.
Volvo S40 Diesel - PW
Looking at Autotrader don't think you would get a diesel Avensis under 100K miles. You should be able to pick up a 1.8 though- which should give near diesel levels of economy. Alternatively the facelifted Vectra 1.8 is also meant to be a good economical car- so could be something to consider.

From your own description the Avensis may be quite a suitable car for your needs.
Volvo S40 Diesel - Happy Blue!
Just going to say that the Avensis petrol 1.8 is a very good motorway cruiser and very very economical. Probably better looking for a good example of that one, of which there will be many more out there.
I've bought an S plate S40 2.0TD today with 114k on the clock. Its got full service history until 100k. It needs service now and I'm also planning to change the gearbox oil because it doesn't seem to be very smooth. I haven't got a lot of experience with Volvos so I would like to know what engine and gearbox oil should I get. Also shall I get the service parts from Volvos or parts from GSF or Eurocarparts would do the job. I'm quite happy with the way it drives and the sound of engine because its really quiet compared to Peugeot engines of the same age.
Volvo S40 Diesel - stunorthants26
Personally I would use Volvo parts. My old 460 had full Volvo history and despite much documentation regarding the unreliability of these cars, it didnt ring true with my car as it had been properly looked after and was utterly reliable all the time i owned it.

It never hurts to go through any older car just bought, to change all service items and give it a through check over and using Volvo parts cant do any harm at all. If anything, my Volvo was proof if any that correct servicing was the key.
Volvo S40 Diesel - andymc {P}
Well done LM, I know it can be hard making a choice on a limited budget and the number of choices makes pros & cons hard to weigh up. Enjoy it!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Thanks mate, It wasn't an easy choice but when I looked at the car and drove it, I really liked it, its very smooth even though it needs servicing, quiet for a diesel and has got good pick up too. Gearbox is a bit stiff and the guy I bought it from told me it needed oil changed. The car is as dirty as you can imagine because I bought it from someone who lives in a farm so tomorrow I'll be busy giving it a good clean, t-shirt and or polish and then a friend is giving me a hand with service!
Volvo S40 Diesel - PW
Congratulations on new car and hope you enjoy the new car.
Volvo S40 Diesel - barchettaman
It´ll have to be a big T shirt to fit over the car.....
Congrats, hope it proves a reliable work horse (or should that be ´elk?´)
Thanks!
sorry mate, I meant to say T-Cut!!! :)