Mondeo ST220 rust - smoke
Guys I really need some advice, as i am pretty stuck.
On 27 August 2006 I bought a 21000 mile 53 plate Mondeo ST220 from a car supermarket - {edit by DD} (the car was almost 3 years old and should have had 2 services but only had one at 18 months and 13500 miles, at time of purchase. For this reason I got an independent mechanical warranty on the car on purchase, and promptly had a manufacturers major service done on the car).
On acquiring the car in September, I noticed that on both rear doors and the front offside door, rust had started to appear at the seam where inner door joins the outer skin. In October, I duly contacted my local ford approved bodyshop who assessed the doors and stated that the nearside rear door needed replacement, the offside front and rear could be repaired.
A warranty claim was sent to ford, and I awaited the result. To my amazement Ford said that they would repair the offside front and rear door, but would not touch the nearside door as the car did not have a full paintwork inspection stamps in the service book, and thus the perforation warranty was void. I reapproached ford via the dealer explaining that the car service book did not have a paintwork inspection section in it, and after a month of wranglings in early January ford agreed to repair all the doors but replace none. The dealer are not happy to do this as they feel that one of the doors was beyond repair, and thus if it was repaired rust would reappear and the onus would be down to them to replace the door. They also asked to reassess the vehicle and in early February 2007 they have declared that both rear doors now need replacement. I have recontacted Ford by letter, and dispite many promises of ringbacks, I have received nothing.

I am really frustrated, since firstly my service book ( a photocopy of which ford has) does not have a paintwork stamp section in it yet ford are claiming that this has to filled for a bodywork warranty to be accepted, and secondly the fact that ford advertise a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty which they are not willing to honour on a well known fault in manufacture . I have tried to contact Ford directly by letter and by phone and am getting nowhere.

I don't know where to go from here as the car is becoming increasingly worthless.

cheers
Sid
Mondeo ST220 rust - Round The Bend
Sid, you seem to have a good case here. Tell them that you will take legal action if necessary and will expect them to pick up the tab.
Mondeo ST220 rust - stunorthants26
With my Suzuki, the dealer does the rust inspection as part of the annual service.

In your case however, its worth noting that if a service was missed, then your car may have fallen foul of terms and conditions of the warranty and an inspection missed.
It is also often the case that if you read the small print on anti-corrosion warranties, you often have to pay a charge for the inspection, although in my experience, many manufacturers turn a blind eye to this and repair cars out of goodwill.

Ford is a little short on goodwill.
Mondeo ST220 rust - oilrag
You could tell Ford that you`re going to put a placard on a roof rack saying " This Ford is Rusty" then invite the media.
Say it will be with their Ford name sign in view outside the factory....
perhaps its best though to get the doors repaired anyway they will do it and then part exchange it for something thats galvanised.

I once had multiple faults on a Maestro and you will perhaps remember, Rover never put their name badge on it.

I very nearly had a sign writer paint " Rover" on the left of the boot lid which was blank, then "Dog" under the maestro name.
IMHO this would have looked good in red on metallic stone grey :)

Mondeo ST220 rust - wantone
Ford is a little short on goodwill.

From my past dealings with ford on anti corrosion work and looking on focus website's,ford a little short on goodwill is a biig understatement.
Hands over ears and hum, la la la we cant hear you la la?
"From my past dealings with ford on anti corrosion work"

I can`t understand how these big Fords with the 12yr warranty can seemingly rust doors to beyond repair in less than 4 yrs?
I heard something about sealer on the doors, but surely if its galvanised that wouldnt matter?

I`ve seen the KA with its 1970s style rust scabs developing from small paint chips and just assumed that its not galvanised, but larger Fords?
Mondeo ST220 rust - nick
Is there any sign of accident repairs? I thought serious rust was a thing of the past.
Mondeo ST220 rust - Red Baron
oilrag

From my understanding, the sealant used was simply of the incorrect type for the wet environment at the inside-bottom of the doors. I would guess that the composition of the sealant released chemical species that would promote corrosion, even of galvanized areas. Galvanization (zinc) is also prone to corrosion, but obviously much less so than steel. Once the protective layer has been compromized, crevice corrosion sets in. This is a fast type of corrosion that will, once it begins, quickly manifest itself as blisters.
I totally sympathize with smoke.

I have exactly the same problem.

My March 03 Mondeo got its first rusty doors in Jan 05 (both nearside). These were merely repaired under warranty. I was wise enough to get the paintwork checks done. Rust returned to both of the repairs in Jan 07. The rust on the repaired doors has also migrated up the vertical seams. Also, both offside doors have rust and blisters at the bottom seams.

I currently await Fords decision (six weeks and counting). The bodyshop (Allen Ford, Northampton) has been most helpful in chasing the matter.

Apparently, to repair all four doors costs a mere £500. To replace all of them and respray the quarter pannels costs £2000. So one can understand why Ford first attempt the repair.

However, people with any knowledge of rust prevention and cure, would know that in this instance a repair is doomed to failure.

Unfortunately, I must await Fords decision before I can make any representations.

Yes, threaten to publicize your dilemma.
There is no evidence of accident damage and paint thickness is equal all over the car. Noramlly i would not buy a car with one missed service, but this car was very straight no evidence of overspray or respray, had only done 21000 miles, and had a service at the 13000 miles (approx correct milage) but at 18 months (which checked out with the dealership when phoned), and drove beautifully. I therfore bought a decent independant warranty and had a major service done on week of purchase, but did not expect this sort of problem on a ford (i expected a little bit of goodwill especially since we have had fords in the family for over 30 years).
"From my understanding, the sealant used was simply of the incorrect type for the wet environment at the inside-bottom of the doors"

Hi Redbaron, thanks,
Is that sealer you mention inside the actual door bottom its self, or on the bottom inside lip of the door?
Cheers
There are two types of sealant used to this part of the door. One is the bead of sealant that can be seen from the outside (that is, once the door is open) and traces the door skin join all the way around the door. The second type is the sealant that sits inside the bottom of the door and, I guess, is also partly sandwiched between the door skin and the frame. It is the latter one that causes the problem.
Mondeo ST220 rust - paulb {P}
It is the latter one that causes the problem.

That, and the fact that there is a rubber seal along the bottom of the door aperture (I'd assumed this was for soundproofing purposes) which can't exactly help drainage.
Mondeo ST220 rust - cheddar
There are two types of sealant used to this part of
the door. One is the bead of sealant that can
be seen from the outside (that is, once the door is
open) and traces the door skin join all the way around
the door. The second type is the sealant that sits
inside the bottom of the door and, I guess, is also
partly sandwiched between the door skin and the frame. It
is the latter one that causes the problem.

No, it is the former, it hardens and comes away slightly from the door allowing moisture to get to the metal. I looked inside the effected doors on my car and there was a liberal application of a waxoyl type sealer so no way moisture could come through from the inside.
Mondeo ST220 rust - 659FBE
As owners of Mercedes Benz cars made within the last 10 or so years will know, there is no "fix" for rust. Proper galvanising is surprisingly effective - I look after an unloved Peugeot 106, now 9 years old and had occaision to go inside the driver's door recently to replace the check strap. Not a hint or a sniff of rust - anywhere - and the car is white(ish).

There is no excuse nowadays for rust. There are enough properly galvanised cars on the market now to provide a fair choice - vote with your cheque book.

Mondeo ST220 rust - Aprilia
There are loads of these rusty Fords about. If you go to a car auction you will see traders peering at the bottom of the doors to see if they are bubbling. I gather the sealant that they used is hygroscopic and so promotes corrosion.
There is no long-term solution to this problem other than replacement of the door - a repair will just delay the inevitable.
I suspect that Ford are inundated with claims and so are applying their terms and conditions very rigorously to limit their costs.

It is a pity that Ford don't pay more attention to their paintwork and rust protection. They now have a decent line-up of models, but they are often poorly painted. I have seen recent Fords with dirt under the paint and minimal paint under the car and under door cases etc - many only have a layer of primer underneath...
Mondeo ST220 rust - The Lawman
Aprilia, if this is right, then i suppose it is possible that there is a policy in place to put barriers in the way of warranty claims, but it might also be true that a determined customer who makes enough fuss will eventually get satisfaction.

i suppose the ultimate solution would be to pay for replacement doors , and then sue ford for the cost. If it is less than 5k it will be in the small claims court, and ford might settle rather than pay a solicitor to fight it (they wouldn't get the costs back)
Mondeo ST220 rust - Aprilia
Could one go down the 'fit for purpose' route - i.e. not fit for purpose if its rusting in just over three years?
I`m surprised that Ford aren`t worried that some owners will do nothing.
I mean let the doors rot and drive around as normal in the cars.

It would be seemingly easy for them under these circumstances to get a name linked with rust, as did Fiat in the seventies.
That would be the ultimate payback, keep it longterm and let the rusting show, patching it up roughly with filler and fibreglass........

Written `tongue in cheek` of course, but If I were a manufacturer I would be worried about image in case owners just left it alone.
Mondeo ST220 rust - The Lawman
It is very difficult (and consequentially extremely rare) for a product to be found to be unfit for purpose / of unstasifactory quality as a result of a design or materials defect. This is opposed to cases where the car is an individual lemon.

The only case I can recall is a Honda motorcycle engine (If i recll correctly) that kept self destructing. I think it was a chain cam engine.

For a rusty Mondeo, to argue that the car is of unsatsifactory quality because it has started rusting after three years would be tricky, but I couldn't say that a district judge might not find for a buyer in these circumstances (particularly if the DJ has had a good lunch..)
Mondeo ST220 rust - jc2
Ford would not pay a solicitor-they have a whole legal department!!!
Mondeo ST220 rust - TheOilBurner
I'm really interested in these reports of rust on the doors of Mk3 Mondeos.

I had a 1995 Mondeo I bought back in 2001 with rust blistering all along the bottom edge of the nearside front door.

I took it up with the dealer (only bought the car a couple of months before, no signs of rust then) and neither them nor Ford wanted to know. Everyone was content to blame it on a poor accident repair done years ago and therefore wash their hands of it.

Interestingly, some time later when SWMBO drove it into her work place, she was accosted by a colleague who was amazed to see his old car pull up next to him! It turns out he had the car from new and swears blind that he never had an accident in it.

Still Ford did not want to know.

I'm very disappointed to learn that the problem still exists and Ford are still in denial.
Ford have had a problem with corrosion around the inner edge of the doors, this is caused by faulty sealer that hardens and comes away exposing the metal underneath to moisture, it is not a matter of the sealer itself absorbing moisture. Apparently the doors effected were all made within a few months though were fitted to cars over about 18months or so.

The two rear doors on my 2002 Mondeo were effected, the sealer on these doors was very hard to touch where as on the front doors, hatch etc it was soft to the extent that you could make an indentation in it with your finger nail.

Have a look at the following thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=38759&...f

Ford and the dealer could not have handled it better IMO.
Mondeo ST220 rust - craig-pd130
I had two early Mk 1 Mondeos (both 1993 cars) and both were well rust protected ... the first one had paint scraped to the metal on the rear wheel arch thanks to my wife's reversing problems but it steadfastly refused to rust!
Mondeo ST220 rust - DP
My 2000 mk2 is completely rust free, even though the paintwork is a little shabby in places now (more through neglect rather than defects)

I always recall a story from a friend who had a 1994 Mercedes C200 estate which developed a rust bubble on the tailgate in 2002. The dealer took the car in the next day, provided him with a courtesy car, and painted and fitted a spanking new tailgate FOC. There wasn't even a hint that he'd be asked to pay for it.

Cheers
DP
I have had a conversation with ford today and i am now more disgruntled than before.
I had a conversation with someone from Ford customer care. This gentleman re-iterated to me that Warranty would not authorise a repair as the service book had not been stamped, and Ford cutomer care could not intervene since i had only owned the car for six months thus not long enough for goodwill. I explained that there was no stamp section in the book (as already explained in a letter to them two weeks ago) and this made the first argument seemingly void, and secondly as for good will; the family have been a customer of ford for over 30 years).
He responded initially by silence, and then by saying that this information could not be passed onto Ford Warranty' as Ford Customer services cannot contact Ford Warranty, as this was a dealer only facility, and that Customer services could not do anything for me. He advised that I should contact the dealer again to contact warranty, something the dealer has done till blue in the face.
I am completely fed up with this taurian bi-product, and i am planning my next step.
Would contacting someone like BBC Watchdog, or a car magazine/paper be a good start?
many thanks
I really feel for you on this smoke, sickening when a big organisation gives you the runaround like this.

If you stuck your posts on the usenet newsgroups it would, as we know, propogate all over the world and remain on the news servers long term.
Sorry to sound like this but thats how I would feel in your shoes.
Sort of ".... problems faults rust corrosion doors" in the header, key search engine words, so anyone checking out on google groups or or the news servers would throw it up in the search.
Its not as though you would be critical of Ford, but just displaying the facts to potential customers.

Regarding the car,
What about getting a fixed fee interview with a lawyer?
Regards
Mondeo ST220 rust - mare
I'm sorry that i can't offer any constructive help, but a three and a half year old car surely shouldn't be rusting and Ford's attitude as reported really sucks. This story just reinforces my own opinion (right or wrong) of Fords and their cars as built down to price rustbuckets.

I really hope that you get it sorted out.
Hello Smoke,

Re my above post, my car was nearly 4 years old and had done over 102,000 miles, I received excellent support from the dealer and had regular calls from a very attentive Ford CC person.

The only difference is that my car had been Ford dealer serviced every 11-12,000 miles, therefore as much as three times a year over the first two years where as, as you say, your car "was almost 3 years old and should have had 2 services but only had one at 18 months and 13500 miles, at time of purchase" therefore it seems that Ford are sticking to the terms of the warranty.

Re the stamps, mine only has service stamps, I am not aware of another section in the book however the book is not needed as it is all on the computer which ever Ford dealer you go to, have you asked them to look up the car's service history by VIN? The computer is the bible, not the service book.

I would write to the MD, Ford Motor Co UK:

Dear sir very disapointed in otherwise quality product, family have owned Fords for 30 years, I know it is not a unique problem, you understand that the dealer's and CC dept's hands are tied, i.e. they are only following procedures, if it goes unattended rusty five year old Fords on the road will damage the co's reputation massively, you appreciate his help in this matter blah blah.

Just to give a little feedback as to the outcome. Firstly thanks for the support and advice on the backroom. I sent a few more letters and as a result Ford are replaceing all three doors free of charge.
A brilliant outcome :-).
I had a thought though, does this experience put me off Ford cars? Get in and drive the ST220 and any doubts vanish; as long as Ford produce vehicles that are this good to drive, i will keep buying. Such is the fickleness of brand loyalty, you forget and forgive bad experiences for the good ones as soon as the problem is resolved if you like the make and vehicle.
Sid
Mondeo ST220 rust - machika
However good they are to drive, rust on a modern car, after a couple of years or so, is unforgiveable. It would put me off buying one.
Mondeo ST220 rust - Quinny100
This has been fixed on later cars. If you look at the way the flanges are constructed and sealed on later cars (not sure when, but my 05 car has the change) they are different to the earlier examples.

Some cars aren't affected, some get some very minor bubbling around the sealant and others end up with half the bottom of the door rusted away.
others end up with half the bottom of
the door rusted away.

Told you a million times, dont exagerrate! Seriously, it is only ever minor surface corrosion behind the sealer.

A great result for Smoke though why only three doors effected, I understand it should be both front, both rear or all four by the way the sealer batches were distrbuted, I wonder if the car had one new door earlier in its life due to a minor accident.
Mondeo ST220 rust - Quinny100
I'm not exaggerating. I looked at a used 02 car back in 2004 and the bottoms of the 2 front doors had rusted through to holes - the sealant strip was hanging away from the door. It was registered in a seaside town, so whether that had made any difference I don't know.

My 02 car had a bit of bubbling, but Ford agreed to repair it. I got rid of the car before I had chance to take it in.