M6 J18/19 SPECS - mark
Following yet another regular trundle up and down the mid/upper M6 today I have noticed that SPECS are back between J18/19. There are 4 each side and from the progress of the engineers I suspect they will be operational by tomorrow.

No warning signs or limit boards were in place yet hence my thinking they are not on yet.

Regular M6 users will remeber the SPECS were in almost the same location about a year ago and Cheshire Plod boasted about 1000's of NIPs being issued.

I mention their re-arrival just to alert you that when approaching this section of the M6 be aware of possible potential heavy breaking by the vehicle in front once these are spotted. Remember these are the one that average your speed through the section so there is no camera flash.

as ever

Mark
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - Jonathan
Are they?

Maybe they are sorting that junction out (knutsford services and A560). There is an accident there nearly every day.

They moved the original ones from there to J7 on M62 (warrington). Must be enough people are speeding through to finance another set.

In which case looks as though they are here to stay on M62. :-(

Jonathan
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - mark
I did wonder if these might the the ones that went to Birchwood coming back to their roost as it were. However if the others are still at Birchwood then Cheshire Police have been saving their pennies up.

Best of luck on the M62.

as ever

Mark
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - Jonathan
Its a nightmare!

traffic flows, but you are constantly trying to do 50 and its very hard.

I think there is a sign saying that they have caught 15k people speeding.
thats almost a million.

How much do they cost?

I dont think Cheshire have hypothecation.

Jonathan
Speed Signs on M62 - Jonathan
I have noticed that there is no 50 speed limit sign until after the first SPECS camera on the westbound carriageway. This means that if you exit the M6 northbound and head west you do not see any speed signs until after the first camera. Hence there is a great chance that you will inadvertently exceed the speed limit and incur wrath.

I rang Cheshire police to check if that means that the first camera is either inoperational or to fidn out why the first sign is after the camera.

They said that they will look into it and I will also see if anything has been done on monday morning.

I'll keep you posted.

Jonathan
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - David Nicholls
roadworks start here for the full summer duration folks, til mid Sept the boards say. at least this time the little cameras have been given a touching coat of paint in the new hi vis yellow. shame the bloody things are so high up in the air, and small and hard to see against a bright sky.....like this afternoon.

you have been warned, Cheshire police like, no seem to love, removing £60 minimum from as many people as possible.
yes its a VERY accident prone area and no its got nothing to do with junction changes, just plain old knackered roads again....
still most days this section grinds to a halt in the peak periods anyway, so with the road works as well its likley to gridlock.

and at the same time we've got long term roadworks on the m62 east and west to liverpool and manchester, and a new set doing urgent bridge works on the m60/m61 junction, before the bridges collapse. this has been chaos the past few mornings. oh well here comes summer, the smell of hot asphalt in the morning you just can't beat it !!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - UKC32
Thanks for posting the information, it's an area I travel through fairly regularly.
I have invested in a GPS device called Origin Blue i which is a speedtrap warning system.
There's always an argument about cost - but some of us can't earn a living without a licence...then there's the 'moral' argument that those of us who buy these devices are maniacs...but whatever, its a damn good system which warns you as you approach a speedtrap. I can thoroughly recommend it - it updates via modem, so I'll be interested to see if these new cameras have been logged. If I'm the first to log them, I get £50, so I'll owe you guys a drink!

Link - www.originbluei.com/
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - Alwyn
UKC32,

What made you go for the Blue and not Geodessy?
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - UKC32
Largely the test results on the speedtraps website, the look of the thing, and the fact that I figured it would fit in my car ashtray void - it did.
Nothing spectacular.
Re: M6 J18/19 SPECS - Richard Hall
Travelling on the A1 last week, I realised there is a problem with the yellow painted speed cameras. If you put them in an area where there are road works, then almost everything around them is also painted yellow (JCBs, compressors, dump trucks etc) and they rather blend into the background.