Computer Related Questions - Volume 119 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 120 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 119. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

WMP 11 ripping to MP3 - cheddar
WMP 11 is an excellent programme though I cant rip to a sample rate below 192Kbps, the following linked from WMP 11 FAQs (though mentions WMP10) suggests a reg tweak though it doesn't help, any ideas?

www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/...x

WMP 11 ripping to MP3 - Stuartli
Go to WMP (10 in this case)>Tools>Rip Music tab>adjust slider as necessary.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
adjust slider as
necessary. >>

Of course i've done that ! The problem is it will not rip to less than 192 whereever the slider is set hence the reg tweak from MS support though that does not help.

Thanks.

Now using ...

www.nch.com.au/rip/index.html

... on my PC, loaded it on the kid's 98SE machine a couple of months ago, brilliant free application!
>>Of course i've done that !>>

Fair enough...:-)

However, it's amazing how many people don't do the obvious things first or even check out usually excellent Help files, anticipating that someone else will save them a bit of brain power use...:-))
WMP 11 ripping to MP3 - buzbee
I have not tried using WMP 11 for mp3. Presumably there is an add-on for it.

When I timed the track ripping to WMA I found WMP 11 was much faster on my PC ( something like 1.7 times IIRC) than either Express RIP to mp3 or Virtuosa to either mp3 or WMA. Not that either speed would bother me for the few CD's I rip.

Express rip is good and gets track data but not quite as well as does WMP 11 and Virtuosa. It missed out the album name of the CD when I used it. The other two did not. File sizes were near identical between rippers.
P.S. The bit rate slider can be got by right clicking the rip icon on the top tool bar, if this has not already been mentioned. I rip a 128 kb and file sizes are very close to 1 MB per play minute.
I must take more water with it. Just seen in WMP 11 that with a right click on RIP the mp3 option is available.
>>Of course i've done that !>>
Fair enough...:-)

Sorry, I was a bit sharp there.
>>Sorry, I was a bit sharp there.>>

Don't worry about it...:-)
"My Documents" behaviour, cont'd fm v118 - SjB {P}
Cheddar - Ref setting "My Computer" as the "My Documents" folder: Nice try, tvm, but I'd had this idea and found it doesn't work unfortunately: "The target location is not allowed as a Documents folder". Humph.

Dalglish - Ref blog: I see I'm far from alone in finding Microsoft's attempts to help the waifs and strays with no discipline to maintain a filing system too overpowering for those of us that are the disciplinarian opposite and also wish to aid our computer's performance! I find it hard to believe that there is no official software switch to invoke or disable the behaviour.

Mark - Ref hiding the annoying folders - Nice idea, ta. It runs against my purist approach, but as I've drawn a blank otherwise I've done it as the next best thing to not having them in the first place. Many thanks, and the blood pressure's dropped a notch or two.
"My Documents" behaviour, cont'd fm v118 - cheddar
Cheddar - Ref setting "My Computer" as the "My Documents" folder:
Nice try, tvm, but I'd had this idea and found it
doesn't work unfortunately: "The target location is not allowed as a
Documents folder". Humph.

Ok set the default file location for the app, i.e Word, to C: so you can see Documents and Settings and browse C: from there, then create a short cut in C: to D: or whatever your second drive is called.
IIRC you are on MCE, also IIRC XP Pro offers a liitle more flexibility.
IIRC you are on MCE, also IIRC XP Pro offers a
liitle more flexibility.

According to the answer I got when I queried the version of MCE I am running versus what it says in System folder / General Tab, MCE is an extension to XP Pro, less some of the remote network management tools of XP Pro that the average Home Joe isn't going to need.
default file location for the app, i.e Word,
to C: so you can see Documents and Settings and browse
C: from there, then create a short cut in C: to
D: or whatever your second drive is called.

Cool. Far too obvious! Job done, ta. :-)
"My Documents" behaviour, cont'd fm v118 - Dalglish

sjb: may also be useful to you, at least may be worth looking at

geekswithblogs.net/murraybgordon/articles/93760.as...x
lifehacker.com/software/windows/add-windows-explor...p
www.theeldergeek.com/start_explorer_in_c_drive.htm
www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1033585901

>>

Good. FWIW this works sharing docs over a LAN, i.e you can have a short cut to the remote drive within the folder that is your default file location is set to so you can save locally, remotely or both.
Hacked By ShockVan... - Vansboy
One of the chatrooms I sometimes venture into, has had it's index page changed, with the above message, together witha picture of a Japenese girl (not rude/offensive)

Foolishly & being nosey, I cliked on the ShockVan name, it created an email address in Hotmail, which I copied into Google to search.

It came up with a link, which ...MISTAKE... I cliked on, gave a patterned background & a small Microsoft box in the centre of the screen, with about 10 digits in the centre. I cliked the close X, in the box, another selection of numbers appeared & then another. I had to restart the computer, as I couldn't close it or even shutdown AOL.

Then, upon restart, the small picture icon, next to the users names, on the start up page has been replaced with a Karate kicking guy, image.

So has someone now got into our PC, or am I being over cautious? Can't see any other alterations/programmes anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

VB
Hacked By ShockVan... - Fullchat
Can you do a system restore to a time before??
--
Fullchat
Hacked By ShockVan... - fossyant
Get some free spyware programs - ad-aware and spybot and run them both through.

Think you said it all when you mentioned 'clicking' -easy to do, especially the kids !

Change your user icon back !

You may be lucky, but I'd run the spyware programs, get a good firewall like zonealarm (free for the basic one assuming) if you havent (it will warn you if computer programs and processes are trying to connect to the internet) and run the anti-virus scans.

Post here what internet protection you already have ?

A restore won't help if there is a virus.
Hacked By ShockVan... - fossyant
Oh for an edit................. (free for the basic one assuming you haven't got a firewall already or just the windows one) !

My Pictures Keeps Closing.. - Vansboy
Bought a new Canon camera, with movie mode, so used it, everything displays fine in the ZoomBrowser edit/store system Canon supply, BUT....

After moving the recordings to My Pictures, it closes itself - so can't even remove/delete it.

What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

VB
My Pictures Keeps Closing.. - JH
V
I don't use Zoombrowser much, I tend to go into Photoshop, but View has an option "Set new favourite folder" (assuming we're using the same version) you could try pointing that at My Pictures.
JH
My Pictures Keeps Closing.. - carl_a
Bought a new Canon camera, with movie mode, so used it,
everything displays fine in the ZoomBrowser edit/store system Canon supply, BUT....
After moving the recordings to My Pictures, it closes itself -
so can't even remove/delete it.
What should I do?

Buy a card reader and uninstall Canon's dreadful software. Same goes for any other software that comes with adigital camera.
More Canon confussion - Vansboy
Hi All!

I'm persisting with Zoom Browser for now, but...

I'm able to use the video function & store in the Canon Zoom Browser, but when recordings are saved to My Pictures, the programme is shut down.

They are stored as MVI & I can't see how to change this!!

So how do I cure this?

Also for me to upload the video to the site I want to show it on, it needs to be WMV.

So what do I need to do!!??

Thanks in advance!!

VB

IE7 question - L'escargot
Is it my imagination, or does IE7 incorporate a spam filter?
--
L\'escargot.
IE7 question - Stuartli
You may be thinking of the phishing filter. However, some people have had to turn it off as it has caused problems. Firefox has a similar type of filter.

You're probably aware that you can filter e-mails in Outlook Express using Message Rules - the Help section covers the subject comprehensively.
IE7 question - L'escargot
You're probably aware that you can filter e-mails in Outlook Express
using Message Rules - the Help section covers the subject comprehensively.

I wasn't aware but I am now! Thanks.
--
L\'escargot.
Another IE7 question - L'escargot
When I open Internet Explorer by clicking on the desktop icon I get my home page and another tab. Is the extra tab normal or am I doing something wrong. It's not a problem ~ I'm just curious. I understand how to open a new tab and close existing tabs.
--
L\'escargot.
Another IE7 question - cheddar
I have just updated to IE7 and am getting used to it, the tool bar are is not as asthetically pleasing as IE4/5/5.5/6 though that could be because I am using the Windows Classic settings in XP Pro so the tool bar etc are grey and are designed for normal XP / Vista, new laptop coming today, also XP Pro, I will set that up in XP default and compare.

The extra tab is simply a short cut to a new tab.

The tabbed browsing is the one clear benefit of IE7 so far, avoiding a clutter in the task bar.

I have turned off Cleartype, Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Multimedia - uncheck "Use Clear type in HTML". - Much better now!
How do I save a flash video file - spikeyhead {p}
I've recently found online a Flash Video which has me and some friends in part of it. I'd like to save it for posterity but can't work out how to do it.

Any ideas?
--
I read often, only post occasionally
How do I save a flash video file - Stuartli
See:

javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

or

willy.boerland.com/myblog/how_to_download_and_save...s

You may have to also download the Standard K-Lite codecs pack for the FLV codecs - this is of great value in any case and contains virtually all the audio and video codecs anyone would require:

www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

How do I save a flash video file - spikeyhead {p}
unfortunately that returns an error,

undefined at kttp:\\llocalhost

Any other ideas?
--
I read often, only post occasionally
WMP11 unwanted startup behaviour - SjB {P}
Windows Media Player 11 doesn't appear in the list of "startup" programmes whichever way I check, yet has started opening on boot (it didn't previously, at least that I got to see) and then informing me that my library is empty: "There are no items in the library yet" is the exact message overlaying an empty looking library (blank pane).

Well, there were items in the library at shutdown, many, and this behaviour now happens on every single shutdown/startup cycle.
I have locked the scanned folders down to just one, and used Tools/Apply Media Information Changes yet still this happens.

Searching the web with Google reveals just one other person who has reported the exact message given, and even Microsoft.com returns nowt.

Most irritating as I can't find anything in WMP11 Tools/Options to influence this time and CPU wasting startup behaviour or stop the "empty library" trigger. I'm not aware that I've changed anything except install some new codecs outside of WMP.

Ideas please?
WMP11 unwanted startup behaviour - Stuartli
It could possibly be tied up with AutoPlay - try right clicking on an optical drive and checking whether the configuration is causing the problem.
Thanks Stuartli, though it didn't turn out to be the reason.

A lunch time scroll one more time through the extensive list in msconfig / services tab for potential startup services (as opposed to programs in the startup tab) that I didn't want, I noticed "Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS)" (exact spelling and spacing). This was odd, because I removed the Cyberlink suite of products some time ago having given up on its apparent bugginess.

Although the CRVS service was stopped, I unticked it and restarted the PC.

Apart from the expected "you have edited a service in msconfig" pop-up box (which I then hid with the appropriate tick-box), startup was entirely normal. No unwanted WMP11 startup or erroneous library behaviour. A second, third, and fourth reboot confirmed that I now have normal behaviour. Manually opening WMP11 shows the library to be intact and correct, too.

A dig in the registry however shows that despite Cyberlink being removed, CRVS still exists and has WMP as it's "secondary" tool of choice, hence, I guess, the services problem I had.

I now have to decide how to remove this unwanted Cyberlink remnant as it grates to leave something broken in situ even if I can't see it ("What the eyes don't see the brain still doesn't like") I will browse the web for advice first, but guess it will be a matter of backup and restore point followed by careful regedit action.
WMP11 unwanted startup behaviour - cheddar
I now have to decide how to remove this unwanted Cyberlink
remnant as it grates to leave something broken in situ even
if I can't see it ("What the eyes don't see the
brain still doesn't like") I will browse the web for
advice first, but guess it will be a matter of backup
and restore point followed by careful regedit action.

>>

I tend to take the same view re not liking odds and ends left, rather clean it up properly, one approch that might work is to reload the latest version of the problematic software in your current configuration and then to a fresh uninstall, sometimes this clears up the carp left by an old installation.
WMP11 unwanted startup behaviour - Stuartli
Try downloading CCCleaner (freeware) from:

www.ccleaner.com/

and running the Issues tab.

It will find any unwanted links, URLs etc and you can then delete them. You can make a backup first if you wish.

CCCleaner is very efficient but needs to be used with care in other areas.
Nice idea, thanks Stuartli, but I use ccleaner as part of my routine housekeeping (along with RegSupreme Pro as the two have strengths and weaknesses but together make a good pair) and so also turned to them as a first port of call when the problem started to manifest; for whatever reason it wasn't (and isn't) trapped.
Useful link to Microsoft Utilities - Armitage Shanks {p}
BR Members may find this useful. It is a link to a thread on another forum in which the OP requests help re a slow booting computer. Some useful links to Microsoft and other tools for cheking performance.

tinyurl.com/ytbzhs

Excel default vertical anchor direction - SjB {P}
On creating a new document with any version of MS Excel I've ever used, the default vertical anchor point of each cell is "bottom".
To me this is completely nonsensical, and should be "top".
Try as I might I have never found a way of switching this behaviour.
Tools / Options / International tab has a left-right / right-left option presumably to cater for languages such as Arabic, but no option for what I want.

Is there one, please?
Excel default vertical anchor direction - cheddar
Is there one, please?

>>

Assuming I understand your question:

Format>Cells>Alignment>Vertical>Top

Re default you can save a template, i.e open an Excel workbook, highlight the whole sheet by clicking the area to the left of A and above 1, do Format>Cells>Alignment>Vertical>Top, save as template.xls or whatever then for new worksheets open the template, modify and save as new.
Thanks Cheddar, and of course this works for manually created .xls files, but I create most of mine by exporting data from a third party application that calls Excel in the process. I didn't include this insight originally since I wanted to keep the question simple. This application doesn't have the concept of starting Excel, opening a particular template, and then inserting the data; it simply opens Excel and inserts the data for me to format. Whatever I do therefore needs to change the configuration of the Excel application itself, but I can't find such an option.
Excel default vertical anchor direction - SpamCan61 {P}
How about creating a small macro in Excel to change the formatting, that runs on excel startup? I think that's possible?
Excel default vertical anchor direction - cheddar
Some sort of emulation, I was doing AS400 emulations into Excel as early as 1994, used to take about 30 mins to run on a 486, came down to 5 mins on one of the first Pentiums running at 90Mhz with only 8Mb ram.

I those days we could specify the document the emulation programe populated or run into a fresh doc, sure you cannot do the former with whatever you are running?
Thanks Guys. It's looking like a macro is the only option so I'll give this a go.
Closing down old email address - Round The Bend
I have recently changed ISP and email addresses. I still check my old email address which is getting an increasing number of unsolicited "out of office" and antispam reponses to emails which I have n't sent.

I am wondering what has happened. Surely, a spammer can't be using my email address as repsonses to me would not be of any use to him.

Ideally I'd like to close my old address down but am unsure how to do this. Would appreciate your thoughts.
_______
IanS
Closing down old email address - Dynamic Dave
Ideally I'd like to close my old address down but am unsure how to do this. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Depends who the ISP is I believe?

If for instance it's Orange (formerly Wandoo / Freeserve) then after 90 days of not connecting up to the ISP though the account name and phone number will get it suspended, and a further 90 days on from that (ie 180 days) they will delete it for you.
Closing down old email address - Round The Bend
Thank Dave, it is an old Freeserve/Wananorange address.We have terminated with them so I guess it will terminate with us.
Closing down old email address - Dynamic Dave
RTB,

I was wrong about the time period. All the info is mentioned here tinyurl.com/2ktaud

(under the title "Why has my Dial-up Pay As You Go account been suspended?")

After 90 days of inactivity an account is suspended.
After 130 days of inactivity an account expires.
After 260 days of inactivity an account is deleted from the system.

(by inactivity, it means not using the PAYG number to connect to the ISP with the account)
Closing down old email address - Stuartli
I haven't used my WorldOnline PAYG account for six months at the very least and yet I'm still getting e-mails through the account.

Good job too as many important financial and other links are involved...:-)
Changing ISP - Citroënian {P}
Hi all,

I'm fed up with my ISP. They've broken something and my surfing speeds on broadband are now below what I get on my GPRS mobile phone and have been for three weeks now. Punto e basta. Oh- unless I'm on at three in the morning at which point they catch fire and I'm back to normal. Not a very sociable time for surfing, that though.

Don't want to pay the earth for another supplier, but it'll have to be ADSL at at least 2Mb with no stupid download limits (4Gb would be plenty).

It's further complicated in that I hold my website with them - can someone give me a step by step guide to moving it to another ISP. I've had it over two years and the name is registered to me via nominet.

Ta!
Lee.

-- He\'s a cheeky wind-up scamster and he\'s on the radio....
Changing ISP - Stuartli
Although I don't use Zen Internet, it's very highly regarded. See:

www.zen.co.uk/broadband/athome.aspx

Changing ISP - Baskerville
Moving your website is (relatively) easy. All you need to do is "point" the domain name at the dns servers of your new provider's web service. You will have done this once already with your current isp. You might be better off buying web space independent of your isp though--it's not expensive and you generally get better service and management tools.
Changing ISP - Citroënian {P}
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out Zen t'interweb.

BV- Think I'll host elsewhere, good idea.
-- He\'s a cheeky wind-up scamster and he\'s on the radio....
XP logon ? - cheddar
I am the only user on my workstation so it normal boots through to the login on screen allowing me to type my password in without having to click on my name, my new notebook still does this. Strangely the workstation now only displays the icon next to my name so I have to click on the icon before typing my password.

It is not a problem though in an SjB purist kinda way I would like too know what has triggered this change.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
XP logon ? - mfarrow
Open the Control Panel

Open "User Accounts"

Pick a task... Change the way users log on and off (click it)

Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen"

--------------
Mike Farrow
XP logon ? - cheddar
Thanks MF, thats not it though, I have the welcome screen enabled on both computers however one boots through to the welcome screen allowing me to type my password in without having to click on my name, though the other boots through to the welcome screen however only displays the icon next to my name so I have to click on the icon before typing my password.

The difference is but one click however I would like to know why?

Regards.
XP logon ? - mfarrow
go into regedit and look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\Winlogon

Check your login is the DefaultUserName and your computer's name is DefaultDomainName, and their alt equivalent.

I'm guessing the answer lies somewhere in this key. If you want the .reg file for mine I can send it if you want to compare notes so to speak.

--------------
Mike Farrow
XP logon ? - cheddar
Thanks again MF.

I have checked this key on both machines and thy are identical but for the domain name!

I have also downloaded MS PowerToys tweakui.exe onto both PCs and the logon settings are the same, only my user name and "parse autoexec.bat at logon" are checked on both so no other hidden (.net etc) user names present though one still boots through to the welcome screen allowing me to type my password in without having to click on my name, the other boots through to the welcome screen however I have to click on the name icon before typing my password.

Any other thoughts?

Regards.
XP logon ? - SjB {P}
Wild shot; Netgear WG311 wireless card installed?
These change login behaviour.
Perhaps others do, too.

In my case the login method with pretty pictures (I forget the XP name for it but you know what I mean so it's irrelevant) was replaced with the "box" login method after installing such a card, but I have heard of others who got the change you describe.
XP logon ? - cheddar
Thanks SJB, wild shot missed though, no Netgear here, the PC in question, my workstation, is wired to my router, the laptop Core 2 Duo Intel Centrino.

Just one mouse click different though so frustrating!
New Hard Drive problem - hxj

I have just added a new SATA 320Gb hard drive to my Dell system, on the second SATA channel

The BIOS recognises the size, but XP insists on it being 120Gb, co-incidentally the same as the first disk.

Help!
New Hard Drive problem - Chicken Vindaloo
Don't worry hxj!

Go to hsupport.microsoft.com/?kbid=303013

When I installed a 200GB Western Digital drive on my system last year, I downloaded a fix from their website to cure this problem. You might want to check with your drive manufacturer's site to see if they have anything similar.

HTH

CV
Special Offer...Money For Jam? - 007
A friend of mine recently received the e-mail which I copy below. Has any other Backroomer received it? DD will probably remind us that "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!"

> > >>>>This thing is for real. Rest assured AOL and Intel will follow
>through
> > >>>>with their promises for fear of facing a multimillion-dollar class
> > >>>>action suit similar to the one filed by PepsiCo against General
> > >>>>Electric not too long ago.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>Dear Friends; Please do not take this for a junk letter. Bill Gates
> > >>>>sharing his fortune. If you ignore this, You will repent later.
> > >>>>Microsoft and AOL are now the largest Internet companies and in an
> > >>>>effort to make sure that Internet Explorer remains the most widely
> > >>>used
> > >>>>program, Microsoft and AOL are running an e-mail beta test.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>When you forward this e-mail to friends, Microsoft can and will track
> > >>>>it (If you are a Microsoft Windows user)? For a two weeks time
>period.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>
> > >>>>For every person that you forward this e-mail to, Microsoft will pay
> > >>>>you $245.00 For every person that you sent it to that forwards it on,
> > >>>>Microsoft will pay you $243.00 and ! for every third person that
> > >>>>receives it, You will be paid $241.00. Within two weeks, Microsoft
> > >>>will
> > >>>>contact you for your address and then send you a che que.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>Regards
> > >>>>
> > >>>>Charles S Bailey General Manager Field Operations
> > >>>>1-800-842-2332 Ext. 1085 or 904-1085 or RNX
> > >>>>292-1085
> > >>>>
> > >>>>I thought this was a scam myself, But two weeks after receiving this
> > >>>>e-mail and forwarding it on. Microsoft contacted me for my address
>and
> > >>>>within days, I receive a check for $24, 800.00. You need to respond
> > >>>>before the beta testing is over. If anyone can afford this, Bill
>gates
> > >>>>is the man.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>It's all marketing expense to him. Please forward this to as many
> > >>>>people as possible. You are bound to get at least $10, 000.00. We're
> > >>>>not going to help them out with their e-mail beta test without
>getting
> > >>>>a little something for our time. My brother's girlfriend got in on
> > >>>this
> > >>>>a few months ago. When I went to visit him for the Baylor /UT game.
> > >>>She
> > >>>>showed me her check. It was for the sum of $4, 324.44 and was stamped
> > >>>>"Paid in full"
> > >>>>
> > >>>>Like I said before, I know the law, and this is for real.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>Intel and AOL are now discussing a merger which would make them the
> > >>>>largest Internet company and in an effort make sure that AOL remains
> > >>>>the most widely used program, Intel and AOL are running an e-mail
>beta
> > >>>>test.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>When you forward this e-mail to friends, Intel can and will track it
>(
> > >>>>if you are a Microsoft Windows user) for a two week time period.
> > >>>>
> > >>>>Try it; What have you got to lose!

Post feedback if you receive a nice fat cheque :o)

Special Offer...Money For Jam? - Dynamic Dave
DD will probably remind us that "If it looks too good to be true, it probably is!"

Close. I'll just say it's an urban myth / hoax.

I just did a google search on the first sentence of the email:- "This thing is for real. Rest assured AOL and Intel will follow"

www.hoax-slayer.com/ms-money-giveway-hoax.html
www.campusnut.com/urbanmyths.cfm?id=6
de.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/security_info/...2
Special Offer...Money For Jam? - Pugugly {P}
If it looks like a duck and quacks it is a duck. Gazooks they can't even spell cheque ! ;-0

Funny how everyone hates Microsoft and Billy Gates but happy to take money from them.

I will make an undertaking here if someone tells me of anyone who has actually received a cheque as an outcome of following this e-mail - properly evidenced I will give a £100.00 to a charity of their choice - properly evidenced of course !
Special Offer...Money For Jam? - Baskerville
Funny how everyone hates Microsoft and Billy Gates but happy to
take money from them.

I reckon Bill's greenbacks are easier to use and more trustworthy than his software. I somehow doubt this is the way to get your hands on any of them though. Microsoft's usual procedure is to charge its customers to be beta testers, isn't it?
Special Offer...Money For Jam? - JH
only the WI get money for jam.
JH
Special Offer...Money For Jam? - Stuartli
>>only the WI get money for jam(s).>>

...or Ken Livingstone to help you avoid them.....
Special Offer...Money For Jam? - JH
oh, that's terrible! :-)

JH
From CRQ 118, mobile CPU benchmarks - cheddar
I have answered my previous question, this might be of interest to some:

Pentium M 730 1.66Ghz as baseline
Pentium M 780 2.26Ghz +4% / +21%
Core Duo T2300 1.66 Ghz +56% / +122%
Core Duo T2700 2.33 Ghz +86% / +142%
Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz +67% / +135%
Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 Ghz +103%/ +153%
(PCMark 05 / 3DMark 05)

Shows that the Core 2 Duos are faster at the same clock speed than the Core Duos (before he says it, yes as TVM said they were). These are but two of many benchmarks.
Sorry, dont know where that 4% came from, it should say:

Pentium M 780 2.26Ghz +20% / +21%
Sorry found the 4%, it's right this time:

Pentium M 730 1.66Ghz as baseline
Pentium M 780 2.26Ghz +21% / +4%
Core Duo T2300 1.66 Ghz +56% / +122%
Core Duo T2700 2.33 Ghz +86% / +142%
Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 Ghz +67% / +135%
Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33 Ghz +103%/ +153%
(PCMark 05 / 3DMark 05)
USB hub issues - borasport20
My PC is running XP home and the motherboard supports USB 2.0

When my printer and phone are connected direct to usb ports on the pc, I can print fine and synchronise my phone succesfully.

When I connect them via a powered USB hub (USB 2, with backward compatibility) synchronising the phone fails, and the printer just spits out page after page of paper with a line of garbage on the top. I have tried two different usb hubs !

any ideas ?
--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
USB hub issues - Stuartli
I have always been advised that USB devices such as printers and scanners should be used with a dedicated USB port.
USB hub issues - eProf
I've got two old Compaq Presarios, both only have USB 1.1 ports. I bought a plug-in card that gave me two USB 2 ports and loaded the drivers off the CD. Disaster! So I plugged the card into the other Presario and told Windows to go find its own drivers. Success! I now have two USB hubs cascaded off the card with spare drives, IRdA for the phone, a webcam, a printer and a camera connector all running happily! Oh, and I forgot the scanner!

hth!

--
e Prof
Budget Laptop - M.M
Any thoughts for a novice laptop buyer? Thinking about a new Dell under £400... or something like that. Use mostly in different rooms within the home so mains connected 90% of the time I guess. For documents (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) with a bit of DVD playing plus image filing/work too.

Only used one once for a week and that was 5yrs ago so don't know what to look for.

Thanks, David
Budget Laptop - bintang
Dell don't seem to install MS Office but MS Works instead, so you won't get Word or Excel. You can add them but there are compatability problems. They do install MacAfee, which I dislike but is hard to get rid of all traces of it.
Budget Laptop - M.M
Oh.... I don't like Works and still use my original Office'97 (Word upgraded to the 2000 version) with my current PC which works fine with XP. Might Office'97 be a problem with Windows Vista that the new laptop will come with?

Cheers, DW
Budget Laptop - SjB {P}
Dell don't seem to install MS Office but MS Works instead,
so you won't get Word or Excel.

My MESH computer came without MS Office, so having read a thread on the Backroom I downloaded and installed Open Office, for no cost, from www.openoffice.org/.
A couple of months on, not a single problem and 100% compatibility in both directions with Office documents.
The look and feel is akin to Office, but I find some of the features even better implemented.
Highly recommended.
Budget Laptop - M.M
That's interesting SjB... I'll check it out. Have you got Windows Vista to know if it works with that..... oh I'd better look at their website and see if they have advice.

I wish I wasn't getting Vista really as I'm sure loads of our old stuff will go haywire with it.

D.W
Budget Laptop - local yokel
openoffice will work with any Windows OS from 98SE up - inc. Vista, with no problems. Much better than the MS offering in fact, as you can save files as PDFs within the application.
Budget Laptop - SjB {P}
Have you got Windows Vista to know if it works with that..... oh I'd better
look at their website and see if they have advice.

I purposely stuck with XP but according to some posts I have seen on the OpenOffice forum, yes, version 2.x is compatible with Vista.
Version 2.1 was the current release when I last checked and is what I use (albeit with XP).

Budget Laptop - Stuartli
This company is excellent for new and pre-used Dell and other manufacturers' products, cracking prices and has speed delivery:

www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/New_Items.html

Recently obtained a Compaq small form desktop bare bones system for around £180 on behalf of one of the offspring, a product that was more than £700 new.

Re McAfee. It also has a removal tool on the lines of that issued by Norton. See:

tinyurl.com/yg94mw

Budget Laptop - Baskerville
>> Have you got Windows Vista to know if it works
with that..... oh I'd better
>> look at their website and see if they have advice.

Yes, it's compatible with Vista. For me apart from the pdf thing the killer features are Open Document Format, which should ensure security of data for the future (I'm thinking 20 years or more when .doc is a distant memory) and the fact that it runs on every platform--Windows, Linux, Mac, whatever.

Incidentally, Windows users who use more than one PC might benefit from downloading Portableapps (portableapps.com/) and running it from a usb drive.
Budget Laptop - Stuartli
This is the latest version of OpenOffice.org (2.2.0 RC1), issued on February 17th:

tinyurl.com/9vopd
Budget Laptop - cheddar
Order a PC on XP from most manufacturers before 31st March and you get a free Vista upgrade, I bought an Acer on XP Pro last week and I have sent off for my Vista Business upgrade disc.

I wanted XP Pro and not Vista for various reasons though I now have the option of upgrading at anytime.

I bought from Dabs.com, good price though not good customer service IME so difficult to recommend. There are some good deals on end of line Pentium M machines, Dabs have an HP for under £400 with a Pentium M 770 2.13Ghz cpu which was the pinnacle of mobile processors say eight months ago and would have cost £1000 plus a year ago, very good hardware spec, on XP Home which frankly is all you need.

Re Office, not totally sure though I dont think Office 97 runs on Vista though Office 2000, Office XP (2002) etc definately do so your Word 2000 will, for info the Word 2000 disc actually contains all Office functionality, short cut bar etc, it is just missing the other office apps.

Do you have kids, teacher and student Office 2003 or 2007 can be had for around £100.
Budget Laptop - Stuartli
My best mate ordered a Dell business system about a fortnight ago which included Vista at a price of around £340.

The same system from other manufacturers costs around £30 more, but doesn't include a 19in TFT monitor.
Budget Laptop - defender
Aldi are going to be doing a laptop on the specials deal very soon ,the price and spec has not been announced yet but if it is anything like the recent desktop or monitors it will be a worthwhile wait for it ,seen here uk.aldi.com/
Free version ZoneAlarm question - L'escargot
The programme control on my ZoneAlarm firewall is set to the default level of "medium" which requires programmes to ask for internet access and server rights. I've been getting on-screen messages from my anti-spyware software lately saying that my firewall settings may need to be adjusted.

Could somone please explain what the Access and Server headings mean, and also the Trusted and Internet sub-headings? At the moment I have a mixture of green ticks and blue question marks for my anti-spyware.

To date I haven't altered any of the settings for anything on the programme control page because I don't know what the effect would be.

For Windows Media Player I have a row of 4 red crosses, but if this restricts me from doing something it is of lesser importance than the anti-spyware issue.
--
L\'escargot.
Free version ZoneAlarm question - L'escargot
Could somone please explain .......

In layman's language, please!
--
L\'escargot.
Free version ZoneAlarm question - Stuartli
Re ZoneAlarm. If your AV software operates as expected (presuming you have allowed Permission from ZA's Program Control for it to have Internet access), I wouldn't worry. In the case of WMP it seeks permission if checking for updates, music requests or licence management (I always disable the latter). Set WMP to Ask in both cases.

Re Access - this is where you give Permission to allow programs or applications such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Outlook Express etc to have Internet access.

Regarding the Server panel. Such permissions are very rarely needed and, in fact, the only one which has Permission from me is Skype.

I'm presuming that you are aware that if you left click on the blue ticks on each line you can select Allow, Block or Ask. Right clicking brings up Remove or Add Program.

If you have any further queries WMP, as with all other Microsoft programs and applications, offers a comprehensive and well written Help section.
Free version ZoneAlarm question - adverse camber
I dont use windows, but my assumptions about this is:

Access - program can initiate an outbound connection to another system
server - program can catch incoming connections from other systems

internet - applies to a network connection to the internet
trusted - applies to a network connection to a trusted network
this is really for systems with a local network which may have several network devices attached t the computer (like a network card connecting to your other machines and a modem of some sort connecting to the internet) or where you use a local network address range for machines on your side of your router. in effect your trusted range might be 192.168.1.xxx and everything else is classed as internet. it would let you run microsoft file shares etc locally but protect them from internet access
Laptop screen scrolling problem - Petel
Toshiba 490CDT laptop running Windows 98. Moving the mouse pointer to the top or to the left side of the screen causes no problem. However, moving the pointer to within one inch of either the bottom or the right hand side of the screen, causes the screen image to scroll upwards or to the left respectively.

When the screen image moves upward, the area created below is obliterated by black lines. When the screen image moves to the left, the L/H edge of the screen image, begins to appear at the right of the screen.

Has anyone seen this before please? I understand that this is probably finger trouble on my part, wrong screen setting, wrong margin setting, something I should enable or disable but I cannot fathom it out.
Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Laptop screen scrolling problem - sine
A similar but different thing happens on our old Satellite 4200 if the screen resolution is set above what the LCD screen can display.
It did not however lead to any black lines or L/H parts of the screen appearing on the RHS. Just a small part of the bottom and RHS of the screen was not visible until you moved the mouse to scroll the screen.
Purhaps your resolution has become adjusted or the TV output has been inadvertently activated.
Script to check if another PC is online - SjB {P}
Please can a BRer suggest an easy way of writing a script to run from an XP desktop to check if another PC on our internal home network is on line? All hardware on this network has a fixed IP address to make life easier for me, so a PING script would be an option.

Why do I want to do this, or similar?

My wife is in the habit of spending an eon writing an e-mail, and then trying to directly attach photos without checking first that the media centre PC elsewhere in the house and on which they are stored, is booted up. The result is that her Outlook Express session hangs and can't always (sometimes it can) be recovered without losing the e-mail.

I have tried to educate her to do the copying in Explorer first (ie to a temporary folder on her laptop from where photos can be deleted after attaching to e-mail) but she finds this too much hassle.

If a script isn't easy, I will register a new MSN account and set it to auto login when the media centre PC boots up; she can then check at a glance to see if it's on line. No, I don't want to leave the PC running 24x7.

Cheers!
Script to check if another PC is online - cheddar
Three thoughts:

1/ Set up the folder containing the images as a shared folder on the MCE machine, share it with the laptop, place a short cut to the shared folder on the laptop desktop, when this shortcut is clicked XP will either open the folder over the network or inform that it is inaccessible depending on whether the MCE machine is on or not. Your router might also provide file sharing functions.

2/ Does your router GUI report on active machines, a quick click on a shortcut on any of our four PC's desktops tells me which of the other three PC's and one wifi printer are active.

3/ Simply create a short cut on the laptop desktop to the MCE's IP address.

Thanks, cheddar, but:

1/ it takes up to 90 seconds before time out if there's no connection, and greatly slows the laptop down in the mean time
2/ yes, but this requires sign-in as an administrator and then navigation to the appropriate page
3/ same result as the first item above

If there's no easy script method, I'll run with my MSN Messenger idea. Since we already use MSN Messenger to communicate when we're not in the same room - the house is too big to shout, but it still makes me smile! - when I'm asked to boot the media centre PC this will also tell her when it's ready as she'll get the pop-up.

Cheers.
Script to check if another PC is online - No FM2R
SjB,

I can't think of a better method than the MSN one. What is your issue with that route ?
I can't think of a better method than the MSN one.
What is your issue with that route ?

None at all, and in fact I just implemented it, but I like learning new techniques - especially those likely to be adaptable and reusable for other unknown purposes in future - and thought this was a good opportunity.
ZoneAlarm Security Suite 7 review - SjB {P}
Zone Alarm frequently crops up in various guises on this forum, so I thought the following review of ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7, hot off the press, may be of interest to some Backroomers: www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/104934/zonealarm-internet-...l