pilkington glass-any good? - rip
Recently had the original front windscreen of my xantia replaced for a pilkington one by autoglass. How does the pilkington one compare to the original one, which i think was made by PPG Feuillete?
Autoglass say they use original equipment only
pilkington glass-any good? - Falkirk Bairn
Pilkington - St Helens Lancs - are one of the largest Safety Glass people in the world - now owned by a Japanese Co - Asahi from memory (but stand to be corrected)
pilkington glass-any good? - Falkirk Bairn
Pilkington - St Helens Lancs - are one of the largest
Safety Glass people in the world - now owned by a
Japanese Co - Asahi from memory (but stand to be corrected)

Not Asahi - Nippon Safety Glass - billions / year in turnover
pilkington glass-any good? - LeePower
Pilkington have been making glass for a good few years now, one of the top names in glass & there products are highly respected.

www.pilkington.com/
pilkington glass-any good? - Armitage Shanks {p}
A lot of UK car glass seems to come from a French firm called St Gobain, judging by the number of their lorries I see on the A1 near Peterborough. As French makers cars are no longer built in UK (Peugeot @ Ryton the last?) one can assume that this glass is going into some UK built cars. Doesn't mean it is better than Pilkington but perhaps cheaper ie good to keep the bean counters happy!
pilkington glass-any good? - mike hannon
Three years ago I had the Accord windscreen replaced by Carglass in France, via Autoglass UK -it's stamped 'Pilkington Finland'! Seems OK...
pilkington glass-any good? - artful dodger {P}
Pilkington are an innovative company, their best was probably the development of float glass - which they patented, although this has now expired. Float glass is flatter and optically clearer than the traditional drawn glass, in fact most sheet glass in the world is now made by the float glass method. The best bit was Pilkington, until recently, was a British company.

I would have no worries about having a screen made by Pilkington. The only thing there might be a slight difference is if there is a tinted band across the top of the screen, it may be slightly wider or narrower than before. Any way Autoglass would not use them if there were any problems.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
pilkington glass-any good? - SjB {P}
Lots of facts have been written of Pilkington in this thread, and they are indeed a top notch company, but something about PPG for you by way of casual information: They are a huge conglomerate headquartered in Pittsburgh, of which OEM automotive glass is but one aspect of their business. They have several glass operations in Canada, which is where I think your original glass may have come from; "Feuilleté" in this context is the French word for laminated glass, but PPG France is limited to parts distribution only.