Shell Optimax - Dave Hough
I tried this stuff last week - seems to be giving better economy (Rover 24 1.4)
but my nearest shell garage is miles away. Is there an additive available which will give the same result if added to my usual supermerket petrol ?.
Re: Shell Optimax - pete
I would advise a search on optimax before you use this fuel , there has been advise reports about it, ie banned in Germany (not confirmed)
Re: Shell Optimax - john w.
Redex Upper Cylinder Lubricant. I have used it for over fifty years in bikes and cars and it always improves fuel consumption by two or three mpg. It must be good for injector pumps too.
Re: Shell Optimax - Confused
Red Ex was and still is a con the contents you could make a gallon of the stuff for a couple of quid.The indepentant oil research dept found that there was not one addative to oil ,petrol,diesel that had any benefit and in some cases did harm.Instead of red ex just put a drop of parafin in your petrol.
Re: Shell Optimax - john w.
When unleaded petrol went off the market I started using one of the additives - I think it was potassium based. I immediately noticed that mpg. icreased from about 30 to around 32.5. Being curious I telephoned the manufacturers who said "No surprise - it is mostly upper cylinder lubricant!".
I would be most grateful for the formula so that I can try making a batch as a change from home-made wine.
Re: Shell Optimax - Andy Bairsto
I think you mean when leaded petrol went of the market,a solution of lead sulphate will do or potassium sulphate.You could also use methonol,benzine plus many high octane solutions .Lead replacement petrol is another con hyped on the public all they have done is add a bit more benzine.
Re: Shell Optimax - CymroArall
This really is one on which an authoritative response from HJ would be appreciated. For diesel, he has long advocated using Shell or Texaco, and using Millers diesel-clean plus as additive. I've followed that advice, to good effect.

But for petrol? Like you I can't get Optimax. So what additive does HJ recommend for use with other, less-favoured petrols? Is there a Miller's counterpart?

And what does he say about using paraffin???

A definitive answer would really be useful, as this must surely be a hardy perennial question. Surprisingly, no search of the Archive tuns up the answer to the question "... what additive does HJ recommend for use with other, less-favoured petrols? Is there a Miller's counterpart?"
Re: Shell Optimax - Bono Estente
I tried searching for "..... I wish one of the backroom "boffins" could come up with a homemde formula for petrol fuel system cleaner, which is very likely comprised of cheap and readily obtainable ingredients.....", but no luck there either :0)
Re: Shell Optimax - pete
Why would you what to add anything to petrol not since the 70's have i done this (redex) and found them useless , money down the drain.