Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - rm006c4615
I have a mazda 6 TS turbo Diesel , great car its an 04 plate and done 118,000 miles clutch is now slipping
pretty normal too ...........
£738.00 to supply and fit a clutch i have done all the ringing round and thats the best i can come up with
can anyone help with any ideas how i can try to reduce this price i live in southend in essex its a three part clutch
plate bearing and cover parts cost £223.74 plus vat so about 460 labour .
any ideas or is this normal in 2007 am i an old dinosaur who thought a clutch fitted was 300 quid?????????????
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Falkirk Bairn
The Mazda diesel is a Ford Engine/Gearbox - I think.

I also thought it had a dual mass flywheel that should be looked at when the clutch is being replaced - which is more expense!!

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Aprilia
I believe this powertrain is Mazda's own.

The price quoted is fairly typical for a car like this. It does have a DMF, and yes, the DMF should be replaced when doing a clutch at this mileage - otherwise you'll be doing it again soon.
thank you both i will check the flywheel thing out as well and thanks for confirming the price is right
rick
thanks Bairn and aprilla all i can say is beware of this car some joker from mazda just told me the dual mass fly wheel is 815 pounds so the whole job is 1500 quid for a clutch fancy buying one of those five years old with 90,000 on the clock you would need to get it free in case the clutch went
Unfortunately this does not surprise me. I fail to understand why anyone would want a modern Diesel at high mileage.
Anyway, check out a few motor factors and see if anyone can supply you with a DMF at lower cost. Alternatively consider selling the car and getting something with more sensible costs - like a petrol Mondeo 1.8..
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Xileno {P}
I think all modern diesels have DMF, so not just a Mazda issue by any means.
Petrol is the way to go, leave modern diesels to company car drivers who can off load the bills to someone else.
Had the clutch out and the fly wheel is shot so there you go clutches now cost a grand plus to replace.
Had the clutch out and the fly wheel is shot so
there you go clutches now cost a grand plus to replace.

Yes, this a lot of Diesel owners are getting a shock when it comes to the running costs of these cars - its not just Mazda's, its a lot of the modern CR Diesels. They are good news for the first owner who keeps them for 3 years - but once out of warranty you face potentially massive bills. I simply cannot understand why people buy them. Best thing is to warn people of the potential financial consequences of running one of these cars - a lot of people still think that Diesels are cheap to run!

For cheap family motoring, for those to whom a car is just a way of getting A-B then you can't beat a 1.8 petrol Mondeo.
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - mss1tw
Not the one where the labour time for a clutch change is quoted as circa 6 hours?
Not sure where your figures come from. Clutch job on a 2000-on 1.8 Mondeo books at 4 hours. Independent in our neck of the woods will do a Mondeo clutch for under £400 all in. Not the cheapest, but not too bad. Vectra is a touch longer (about 4.5 hours).
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Lud
Seen a lot of mentions of dual mass flywheels, nearly all negative.

What is a DMF, since it seems so troublesome?
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Edinburgh andy

Following on from the last question is it mainly/ only diesels that have duel mass flywheels, and if so why??

Why do duel mass flywheels not seem to last as long as conventional flywheels?

Is the wear on duel mass flywheel normally directly proportional to the wear on a clutch??

Regards

Andy

Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - sine
>>Why do duel mass flywheels not seem to last as long as conventional flywheels?
A conventional flywheel is just a lump of metal, it doesn't really do anything, therefore doesn't wear out.

I think the old Senators and Carltons used to have DMFs so they are not new and they are fitted to petrol engined cars.

I expect premature DMF failure is partly caused by driving at very low rpm e.g. 1000rpm and labouring the engine subjecting the DMF to high vibrations
That is just an educated guess though, no facts.

Here are some of the benefits the manufacutures give

www.zfsachs.com/direkt.php?link=owx_7_80500_2_5_0_...l
www.lukusa.com/products/index.phtml?page=dmf

From www.aftermarketnews.com/default.aspx?type=wm&modul...7

Some engines have a dual-mass flywheel, which is like two flywheels in one. A dual-mass flywheel helps dampen engine vibrations and cushions clutch engagement for smoother operation. If a dual-mass flywheel is cracked, damaged or the internal springs have failed, it needs to be replaced. Some dual-mass flywheels (Ford) can be resurfaced, but others (GM, BMW and Porsche) should only be replaced. Dual-mass flywheels can be very expensive. One alternative is to replace them with a conventional one-piece aftermarket flywheel. These are available for Ford and GM, but they require a different clutch set than the OEM dual-mass flywheel.
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - DP
Yes, this a lot of Diesel owners are getting a shock
when it comes to the running costs of these cars -
its not just Mazda's,

My brother in law had the same thing on his B5 Passat TDI PD 130. Quoted £800 all in for a clutch swap, and then they found the DMF was damaged and that made it up to an eye watering £1300.

Worst thing about it was, the car had only done 54k at the time.

Cheers
DP
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Falkirk Bairn
>>mazda just told me the dual mass fly wheel is 815 pounds so the whole job is
1500 quid for a clutch fancy buying one of those five years old with 90,000 on the clock you would need to get it free in case the clutch went

A car such as 5 yr old 90,00 mls would Economic Write-off. In the old days it was an engine/gearbox going bang where you cannot source a 2nd hand part to tide you over for 2/3 yrs may be.

However £1,000 / £1300 for a clutch and flywheel there is no a 2nd hand purchase alternative. so the car is economically irrepairable despite the rest of the car being serviceable for may be another 5 -10yrs.
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - RichardW
I'd risk it. At nearly £1k a year in fuel savings over the equivalent petrol, it's worth it for me. The costs will come down as the cars get more common. You can already get non-dealer parts for PSA HDi where the DMF is 'only' about 200. Fitting the clutch is no more difficult than a conventional one, just got to add 1/2 hour's labour. And the DMF. Valeo also do a solid flywheel conversion for PSA engines.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Edinburgh andy

Just out of interest how much does a new duel mass flywheel typically cost from a dealer and how much more would this be than a normal flywheel?

how much extra labour time would be involved in replacing the duel mass flywheel once a clutch is out??
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - mss1tw
I have heard that replacing a DMF with a solid can have adverse effects on the gearbox and also the cambelt system (?!)

I can understand the gearbox but the cambelt?

Anyway, I imagine it would be possible to 'drive around' the fact there isn't a DMF in there anymore, you just need to think about what you're doing.
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - RichardW
DMF is in the region of £400 - about twice the price of solid flywheel. You hardly ever need to replace a solid flywheel though, unless the clutch has really been driven to destruction, and even then it should be possible to have it skimmed. Trouble with a DMF is that it becomes a wearing mechanical part. The solid flywheel conversions put the springs back into the clutch plate where they always used to be. I guess the car makers are finding advantages in removing NVH with DMFs - but at seeming great cost to the end user. Treat those clutches with care!!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - Galad
Mazda's are great cars in terms of reliablity - my turbo diesel 323 has 70k on the clock and the only non-service items that have been replaced are tyres (even all the original bulbs are working). BUT, the dealer servicing charges are very high due to labour, so I'm told.

I think I'll stop riding the clutch from now on though......
Mazda 6 - clutch replacement - DJ Drive K

Hi all,

i have been reading up on mazda6 diesel clutches, cause our 2006 with 115000 miles on the clock, has caused myself and now worringly my wife...to mention the clutch wearing.

for me, i just thought it felt "different" the other day. She drives it much more than me with our boys in it, and said she thought the bite point had changed to normal position.

I'm a fairly able mechanic, but i do also have a good friend who works in a garage at £40/hr labour rate. So when it does go, i will source the parts and probably give it to him to do.

I mainly wanted to say on here that i love our mazda6, after the initial terror of reading about DPF the night i'd paid the deposit to buy it...i now have no regrets. it had 62000 on it then, I had the DPF removed at 90000 miles after it and the safe mode had shafted me twice out on long journeys. it regularly does over 40 mpg with my wifes "right foot heavy" urban driving. ive fitted new brakes all round myself, and had a slight fall out with it recently when it needed the 2 lower ball joint/suspension arms renewed for MOT and that meant dropping the sub frame (Honestly mazda...there are easier ways of designing in locking bolts!!!).

i intend to keep it and run it till it dies. They talk about the engines going bang...its a risk saying this...but our has always been service by me or a garage at no more than 15000 miles, and it still runs as quiet as a mouse at tick over. I'll feed back on here the day it does die, but i cant see that being anyday soon.

cheers all. Marty.