Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - moonshine

Popped down to the beach for a bit today as the weather was nice. Parked in the car park and found I didn't have any change for the meter. Went off to find a shop to get some change but as it was busy it took a while, I got back to the car about 10 minutes later to find a traffic warden had just put a ticket on.

The warden was very nice and explained that if I bought the pay and display ticket the time would be close enough to the time on the parking ticket that an appeal would probably be successful. He said he would write on his notes that I had returned to car just after he issued the ticket.

Is it worth appealing or should I just pay the £30? (£30 for early payment, £60 thereafter)

My concern is that if they turn down the appeal I will have to pay £60 instead.
Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - Robin Reliant
Do you feel lucky?
--

Hmm, no I don't feel lucky! It was bad luck to get the ticket in the first place!

It's my fault for listening to those stupid TV ads telling you not to leave loose change in the car, I always used to leave a few quid in the car for such things.

Still such is life, worst case is that I'll be £60 out of pocket, not the end of the world. It was a nice day at the beach, easily worth £60!
Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - Lud
Make the appeal. Don't buy the threat. If the worst comes to the worst, and it shouldn't, you can argue for the 30 quid. Just remember that the outfit demanding the money is a petty commercial operation, not the law in all its majesty. Treat it as such.
Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - Doc
Personally I would pay the £30.
After all, what could the basis of your appeal be? You were parked without a valid ticket.

Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - Hamsafar
I would appeal if it is simply a money-grabbing council in cahoots with a private company (rather than Police), I would not pay unless ordered to by a court, and even then after appealling. You haven't been fined, you have been issued a penalty for breach of a contract you may never have even agreed to and which may be deemed unfair by the court.
Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Why not appeal? It costs you nothing and the time you have to pay is suspended while you appeal ie it won't go up to £60 after 14 days if there is an appeal in progress. Usually the 'guidelines' allow you time to get change to put in a machine. I normally keep a bag of small change in the car anyway but that is because I have been caught out myself! If £30 doesn't mean much to you and your appeal is successful you could always give £30 to some deserving charity
Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - mare
I'd appeal. As AS days, the £30 is suspended, and you seem to have had a sensible warden issue the ticket. Sounds like just a formality to appeal and get the fine lifted.
Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - Micky
Lots to do! Is the documentation correct? Dates, times, location? Is the signage correct, including markings? Is a parking control order required? Don't get lured into appealing solely on the grounds that you were obtaining change. Pepipoo is useful.
Parking Ticket - what are my chances? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Appeal anyway! It will clog up their admin system and make them work for their money. If you win you have saved £30 - if you lose you have to pay £30 which is the position you are in right now. Financially speaking you might win and you can't lose. Make life difficult for these s*ds!

Thanks to everyone for the responses so far.

Doc - Yes, you are correct in that I was parked without a valid ticket. However, on that basis the warden could just slap a ticket on everyone who comes into the car park, the basis being that you PARK before you get the pay and display. The basis of the appeal is that there must be a reasonable amount of time allowed for you to obtain the pay and display.

Anyway, I've decided that I will appeal the ticket.

The warden issues the ticket at 13:29 - 13:34, I bought my pay and display at 13:37, i.e there are only a few minutes in between (most of this was me talking to the warden). Basically as I got back to the car just as the warden was putting the ticket on. I estimate that I was gone for about 10mins, which means that the wardens must have come round just as I walked off.

I notice that the ticket has no information regarding appeals, rather it has an "enquiries" address. Plenty of information about to pay though, including a 24hrs hotline which is open 24/7/365! I wonder what the number is for the 'hotline' for the appeals?