Whistlin' Saab - paul
It may well have been there before, but I've just picked up on a whistling sound on acceleration from my Saab 9000CSE. Is the turbo about to give me grief?
Re: Whistlin' Saab - steve paterson
More likely to be an air leak, they can make some weird noises. If it's nothing obvious like split hose, a bit of soapy water sprayed onto the relevant bits will usually find it.
Re: Whistlin' Saab - mybrainhurts
If it is from the turbo, it's not necessarily a problem. I experienced one hell of a din from the unit on a Cavalier turbo when everything was tightened up after a clutch change.

The problem was the flex joint on the front exhaust pipe. it had been left with the pipe touching a cross member & transmitting the whistle through the body.

After repositioning, it was back to the quiet life.
Re: Whistlin' Saab - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Agree with the airleak suggestion. Check the boost gauge at idle, is it in its' normal position? Also has the idle deteriorated? If so it is likely to be a gasket. If not then a split in a hose is favourite opening up under boost.
Re: Whistlin' Saab - Mike H
Could be the turbo, but as someone else said, not necessarily a problem. Having had a few, some of them whistle & some don't - does it depend on how happy they are in your company :-) ? Just make sure you keep the oil & filter changed. If no other symptoms, don't worry too much but try the air leak theory.
Re: Whistlin' Saab - maestro
Whistlin' Saab?

Isn't that a song from the 1930's ?
Re: Whistlin' Saab - paul
Been away for a couple of days. Thanks for all the advice.