Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - craig-pd130
Friend is picking up a new car tomorrow. He is trading in two cars against the new one.

My question is -- am I legally allowed to drive one of his cars to the dealers, to save him two trips?

I have fully comp in my name with Direct Line. I rang to add his car to my insurance for a day, but
friend's car is still insured in his name, so Direct Line would not add it to my policy (risk of double-claim, they say).

So am I covered under Road Traffic Act (3rd party)?

Any guidance welcomed!
Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - L'escargot
So am I covered under Road Traffic Act (3rd party)?

What do the terms of your policy say? That's the important issue.
--
L\'escargot.
Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - No FM2R
To be legal you would need the "Driving other cars" (DOC) extension. Direct Line normally offer that. However, it will depend on your age. You need to check your policy specifically.

Do bear in mind that the car will be insured TPO only so if you break it, you'll be out of pocket.

If its saving him enough then have a look at a Norwich Union short term policy.

>>(risk of double-claim, they say).

Perhaps. If that's their only issue tell your made to cancel his insurance cover on it and then its only insured once.
Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - R75
RAC and Norwich Union both do daily policies, about £17 I think, they do not care if the car is already insured, the RAC one is on the website or just google for daily car insurance.

www.rac.co.uk/web/insurance/pay_by_day/
Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - L'escargot
Wouldn't the dealer pick up the second car?
--
L\'escargot.
Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - jc2
Why not ask his company??
Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - craig-pd130
Thanks all -- checked policy & docs and I have 3rd party
Driving someone else's car - insurance Q - deepwith
Norwich Union is £10 + 50p admin for one day for a driver over 23 and a car valued under £40,000 - takes a few minutes on web and can be "instant" - it was £29.50 for four days for a London driver. Driver is fully comp, does not need to have a car of their own and does not affect the owner of the cars NCB if there is an accident. Daughter (23 at the time) drove her aunts x-trail which would have cost a fortune to put her on the existing insurance. allowing them to share drive to Scotland.