Accident - Grrrr! - Blue {P}
Why does nobody ever hold their hands up when they are to blame?

I was on my way into town this evening and a taxi drove straight into my offside rear quater on a main roundabout, can't quite understand how he did it and then managed to try and blame me! Needless to say I am totally blameless in the incident, but trying to prove it will be a nightmare! I would write all of the details out but it would take so much describing it's not really worth it, regulars will hopefully know that I wouldn't lie about being at fault, and I think my ADI badge qualifies me to know which lane I should be in on a roundabout! Also I don't want to go into specifics until it's resolved.

Anyway, we'll see what the damage is in the morning! My intial guess is £300 at mate's rates plus an alloy wheel refurb.

At least his car appeared to come off worse! :-)

Blue
Accident - Grrrr! - L'escargot
Why does nobody ever hold their hands up when they are
to blame?

On the few occasions (in 50 years, just in case you think I make a habit of it!) that I have been involved in an accident I never bothered about the aspect of who was at fault ~ although it was of course always the other party! In any case when it comes to who is at fault in an accident it's quite often a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other. I just exchange the necessary information and then hand the matter over to my insurance company to sort. It's what I pay them for.
--
L\'escargot.
Accident - Grrrr! - jc2
In a case like that when you're 100% certain you're blameless,don't move the car,just call the police.
Accident - Grrrr! - Brit_in_Germany
In a case like that when you're 100% certain you're blameless,don't move the car,just call the police.

Couldn't agree more - standard practice in Germany. Las year I wrote off my 1 week old Accord due to a taxi driver coming out of a side road. Police called, statements taken, no further hassle. Of course, you may wish to say that your neck hurts and therefore the accident has to be reported to the police.

BIG
In a case like that when you're 100% certain you're blameless,don't
move the car,just call the police.

If there's no personal injury involved the police aren't normally interested. And I don't blame them. Being involved in an RTA isn't a criminal offence per se.
--
L\'escargot.
Accident - Grrrr! - Hamsafar
L'escargot, don't you have an excess on your policy?
I always like to claim this back and to do that it must be the third party's fault.
L'escargot, don't you have an excess on your policy?

Not up to 1st July 2005, when a compulsory excess of £100 (£50 for replacement of glass) was imposed.
--
L\'escargot.
Accident - Grrrr! - Peter D
Disposable camera kept in car, jump out take 20 photo's game over. Regards Peter
Accident - Grrrr! - smokie
I had a similar incident a few months back - driver clipped my car during careless manouevre causing paintwork damage to rear bumper. I stopped him and he denied it had happened, despite damage to my car (with his paint) and even more damage to his car (with my paint).

I got the disposable camera out and took pics of everything before letting him drive away (which he tried to do a few times) then went straight to the police station to report it. It was the third they'd had that morning.

Civilian police lady filled out form, but told me that without independent witnesses action was unlikely (even with photos). On Christmas Eve I received a further (rather long) form from the police. It had the option to "not pursue", which I eventually took (lethargy won!). Still, the other driver would have sufferred at least some nconvenience and hopefully also was worried over Christmas about what he'd done.

If the damage had been more serious I would have pursued it but I certainly got the impression that it would be a lot of effort for not much reward.
Accident - Grrrr! - No FM2R
>>Why does nobody ever hold their hands up when they are to blame?

Because within european society in general and in the UK in particular, personal responsibility is no longer expected or found.
Accident - Grrrr! - tyro
>>Why does nobody ever hold their hands up when they are
to blame?
Because within european society in general and in the UK in
particular, personal responsibility is no longer expected or found.

Or even that it is just human nature?

(Though I seem to recall that is standard practice for insurance companies to advise their clients not to admit fault at the scene of an accident.)
Accident - Grrrr! - horatio
People like to think they are right. I only recently learned a roundabout rule which I swear was taught to me in my driving instruction the other way round, I won't go into details. but the way I was taught would stop accidents like the OP from happening...ok I'll go into details. I was taught if you wanted to turn left you took the left hand lane, if you wanted to go straight on or right you took the right hand lane. But many people say that straight on in the left hand lane is the way to do it...........that makes no sense to me....and to my mind is an accident waiting to happen.

OP may have ADI but really that does not exclude OP from thinking he's right when really he was wrong. (not saying you're wrong OP. How could I when we have had no details?).

From the OP I can put a scenario down where the OP was going past an exit in the outside lane. and the taxi wanted that exit, we can imagine from the taxi's point of view that as he drove towards his exit suddenly the car that was in the outside lane slightly ahead of him instead of leaving in that exit, stayed on the roundabout thus coming across the taxis path and collision was unavoidable.

You see if the way I was taught was the "correct" way then never-ever would anyone be able to cross infront of an exit in the outside lane and claim to be in the "right" lane.

What do you think? (as if I needed to ask)
I was taught :-

(a) Left-hand lane for turning left at the first exit or going straight on.
(b) Right-hand lane for anything else. For leaving by the second or any subsequent exit it is permissible to go directly into the right-hand lane of that road.

This is exactly what the Highway code currently says. tinyurl.com/hf2t8

So it hasn't changed in the last 50 years to my knowledge.
--
L\'escargot.
For leaving by the
second or any subsequent exit it is permissible to go directly
into the right-hand lane of that road.

I should have said "For leaving by the third or any subsequent exit ...........
--
L\'escargot.
Do you see my point that allowing cars to go past exits in the outside lane is not exactly safe? and that if my version was the official version this would not happen and would make roundabouts safer?
>This is exactly what the Highway code currently says.

Actually it says:
"When taking any intermediate exit
select the appropriate lane on approach to and on the roundabout, signalling as necessary"

And I think it should say to make things safer:
When taking any intermediate exit or last exit or going full circle
*signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
*keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
*signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.
>This is exactly what the Highway code currently says.

horatio,

You are absolutely correct, and I stand corrected. I made the mistake of only looking at the picture and not reading the words, and I've withdrawn my head into my shell in shame.
--
L\'escargot.
Accident - Grrrr! - jc2
The Highway code says-Left lane for left turn,right lane for right turn and either for straight ahead.
Accident - Grrrr! - Sprice
Perhaps it depends how many exits the roundabout actually has. Sometimes, but not always there are large white arrows that indicate the lane to use. Yeah, as far as I'm aware, insurance companies state to never admit liability, even if you are at fault!
...........insurance companies
state to never admit liability, even if you are at fault!

This is to try to stop you going off at half-cock and subsequently making their life difficult. They are experts at sorting out accident claims and as such should be allowed to do so unhindered.
--
L\'escargot.
Accident - Grrrr! - Leif
According to the Luton code:

When approaching a roundabout:

To turn right, move into the left hand lane.
To turn left, move into the right hand lane.
In all cases you have priority over oncoming vehicles. Pulling out in front of other traffic is to be encouraged.

These rules are especially important when the road joining the roundabout has three lanes.

And of course:

When turning right, or doing a 360, make sure you position your car as far to the left as possible.
Accident - Grrrr! - SteVee
>>drove straight into my offside rear quater <<
I would suggest that this is far more relevant than whichever lane the highway code recommends. The taxi driver had every opportunity to see you and avoid you - and (s)he failed. You had far less opportunity (perhaps none?) to avoid a crash.

Good luck with the claim
Accident - Grrrr! - billy25
S(he) taxi driver hit your rear end! I always understood that anyone who did this was "automatically" deemed to be at fault?

billy
>S(he) taxi driver hit your rear end! I always understood that anyone who did this was "automatically" deemed
>to be at fault?

"Offside rear quarter" i.e it was a side-on collision not a rear ender, the only way I can think this to have happened is if OP pulled out to join the roundabout in the left hand lane and drove across an exit in the left hand lane. taxi driver mean while was making progress to exit the roundabout by that exit suddenly OP pulls across in front of him/her. and a collision happened.

You'd have to have seen it really to know exactly who was at fault. But on the face of it, assuming everyone was doing what they were supposed to be doing, I'd say OP was at fault.
Accident - Grrrr! - David Horn
What about roundabouts on the Leeds ring road? 4 lanes on the approach, 3 of which are signed for straight ahead. Guess how many lanes leaving the roundabout? One. (Oh, and a bus lane).
Accident - Grrrr! - Vin {P}
Take details as calmly as possible. Enter no discussion whatsoever about blame. Leave scene asap if no-one hurt. Tell insurance company immediately.

V
>What about roundabouts on the Leeds ring road? 4 lanes on the approach,
>3 of which are signed for straight ahead.
>Guess how many lanes leaving the roundabout? One. (Oh, and a bus lane).

LoL, nightmare!
Accident - Grrrr! - The Lawman
Well, Blue, I've got a better story.

Last one winter's night in rural Suffolk, and a narrow country lane with no room to pass.

I am only 18, and am driving my mum's fiesta with my "unnofficial" girlfriend the only other person in the car.

I see the headlights of an approaching car. Luckily there is a farm gate nearby and I am able to pull into this and get completely off the road and stop. I then give the oncoming car a flash.

The oncoming car proceeds towards me (coming downhill), puts on the brakes for some reason, locks up on some ice, turns sideways and rips the side of the fiesta off.

I get out of the car. Other driver gets out of the other car. Inevitably, it turns out that it is my "official" girlfriends mother.

Her first comment to me, in all seriousness, was "six of one and half a dozen of the other?"

I had to sue her to get the excess back in the end. Still, her daugher was worth the trouble...
Accident - Grrrr! - Big Bad Dave
There's a big roundabout near me, three lanes wide with an inner ring for trams which also have two entrance and exit points. There is so much going on, you need to be able to turn your head right round like an owl. Close eyes, hit gas, hope for the best.
It's so hard to descrive the situation on a forum, the roundabout has traffic lights on it and 3 lanes going around it, to be honest, if I hadn't have been stopped by a red light in the middle of the roundabout then I wouldn't even have been there for the accident to occur!

The Police actually drove past and did say that it would probably go against him rather than me based on their assessment of what happened, however, as I have a feeling that it would involve going to court I really can't be bothered to persue it, my Uncle once did this after an accident on the same roundabout and despite been in the correct lane (as backed up by road markings) the judge awarded against him. I value my NCB more than that, it's worth about £600 per year!

As an aside, when I declare this to my insurance company but make no claim on the policy, my NCB really does remain totally unaffected doesn't it? I know that having an accident to declare will bump the initial premium up a little but at least with another year's NCB (hopefully) this may balance out!

Blue
Interesting additional comments.

It's one thing to look at you as though you were a stationary vehicle, but I get the impression you hadn't been stationary for very long. Sounds like the roundabout needs a yellow box. We can't get away from the idea the taxi will say (whether true or not)
"sudenly a vehicle was across my path and stopped, I tried to stop but could not avoid hitting the car."
And thus it will go against you.

Yes, if you don't claim via your insurers it will not affect your NCB, but your premium will go up. Be careful if the taxi had occupants, the driver and or the occupants could make a claim for injuries, make sure you admit no liability even when making a payment, it is an "ex gratia" payment. If they claim for injuries you will have to claim through your insurer, so just make sure you report the accident but explain at this moment you will not be forwarding a claim.

If you think the taxi driver was alone and is "on the level" and will not put in an injuries claim you could just sort it out between you with a gentlemans agreement not to report the accident to either insurer. I know this is not strictly legal, and I suspect that you will not want to consider this as an option. It is, an option I would definately consider. if I was you or if I was the taxi driver (and you were willing to settle in full).
Accident - Grrrr! - Dalglish
blue:

deja vu ?

looks like taxis and roundabouts don't agree with your cars.

Accident :( - Blue {P} Mon 7 Oct 02 17:58
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7854&m...#
Well, it had to happen sooner or later and today I had my first proper collision. :(
Was stationary at a roundabout when I heard that sickening thud at the back of my car.
Had a look at the scene and it just looked like a cracked number plate and a tiny chip in the paint. ..

Accident :-( - Blue {P} Thu 8 Jan 04 02:35
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=18...6
Had my first damage causing accident in the new car :-(
I had just pulled up at traffic lights in Newcastle when a taxi (one of those big London style ones) screeched to a halt in my boot.
Got out to face the usual "no damage there mate" expression, but it was plain that the bumper is misaligned and has paint damage, god knows what damage behind the scenes. ...

Accident - Grrrr! - Falkirk Bairn
Son had similar bump ona roundabout - a little half moon dent above the bumper -

Taxi driver said nothing to worry about - Son (thought about what he would get if he did not exchange names & addresses from my X examinantion later that night).

He then insisted on names & addresses etc - cost £1000 for the damage hidden under the rear bumper & boot floor
Dalglish - actually this is only the second time I've been hit by a taxi, the first one that you quote was actually just another private motorist. However, just out of interest, why on earth go to the trouble of searching the dusty old archives to look up details about an accident I had nearly 5 years ago? I certainly couldn't be bothered! :-)

Blue