Warning - ECOTEC Cam Belts - Gwyn Parry

My Vectra 2.0 went for its 40k service in May 2000 - I specifically asked the Garage (A Vauxhall main agent) to clarify the situation regarding its cam belt. On collection I was re-assured to learn that as my car's chassis number was a late 97 model that Vauxhall's advise was that there was no need to change it until the 80k mark. Somewhat re-assured by this and that the sales receipt actually said this in black and white I left it at that. However a nagging doubt has always lurked in the back of my mind............and when the car went for its 50k service today I specifically asked for a cam belt change. On collecting the car I was told that both return tooth rollers had had to be replaced - the implication being that they showed signs of failing. I understand that these are the parts that have been failing on Vauxhall engines recently leading to cam belt faliure and expensive repairs. My advice (re-inforced by HJ in the past) is that cam belts should be changed at regular intervals and not at maker's intervals. I have no complaints about this dealer at all in fact there servicing service is far better than the dealer that I bought my car from - less hanging around car delivered clean and tidy and on time....This is the third Main Vauxhall dealer I have used with my cars and by far the best.
Re: Warning - ECOTEC Cam Belts - John Slaughter
Gwyn

As I mentioned before, I'm pretty sure the belt tensioner roller replacement is an integral part of the Ecotec cambelt change at a Vauxhall dealers. So, yes, their reliable life may be only the same as the belt. Therefore it doesn't necessarily mean they were failing at 50k - despite the well publicised problems in the past. Changing the rollers seems to me to be a sensible move, given the consequeces of cam belt failure. A friend had cam belt failure on a Calibra at 36k and Vauxhall (actually Opel - he was in France) picked up the bill. This was the original belt, but in case where a replacement belt fails I doubt they would be so accomodating if the job didn't include a roller change. So, look upon it as insurance for the next 40 - 50k.

I bet this pushed the cost over the £53 though - was that just the labour?

That said I have to say I've found the Vauxhall dealers I've used to be fine, they usually fix the car, on time and at a reasonable cost. Which will probably start a thread!

Regards
John
Re: Warning - ECOTEC Cam Belts - Gwyn Parry
My experiences with Vaux. Dealers has been patchy I have owned 7 Vauxhalls
2 x Novas 2 x Astras (one a 2 litre GTE) 1 Cav. an Astra Sport 2.0 and the Vectra. I have used four local delaers with varying results over service service ((as it were)). The Vectra was introduced to this latest Dealer last year as a matter of convenience as regards work and lifts to and from etc, it has been back once for a replacement exhaust mid- box, and now for this latest service.
Far superior to the others (considering I didn't buy the car from them)...I will be going back for its next service at 60k and possibly for the 70k service (if I and the car last that long).

By the way the bill broke down (whoops) as follows.

Motor Flush 6.80(!)
Screen Wash .68
T ring seal .11
T Belt 22.86
Oil 22.86 (Fully Synthetic Vauxhall brand)
2 Roller return34.92 (both)
Labour 91.20

Consequently difficult to say how much the T belt cost......... But I was quoted the 53.oo price the full price for the service and cam belt change was 205.12, quite resonable really.......for a main dealer.

I take note of the comments about replacing the parts...........but the comments made to me on collection suggested that I was lucky...anyway I feel I was lucky !
Re: Warning - ECOTEC Cam Belts - Kevin Alder
Hi Gwyn

On the one hand I'd like to think that having your car serviced at the same place that you bought it from made a difference, but on the other hand I'd like to think that it made no difference at all!

I was mostly interested in your reference to Vauxhall's own-brand oil - I am about to take delivery of a new Corsa and am somewhat exercised about what to do about oil changes (mainly in the light of various opinions expressed on this site). How do you find out whether or not the factory fill is semi-synthetic? If it is, should you change early on, or should you leave it till the first service (my Corsa will be used mainly for short trips and city driving)?

There has been a certain amount of talk about the benefits of using oil made by second-tier manufacturers such as Morris's and Miller's (I use Miller's myself in my Skoda diesel) but when you speak to those manufacturers it transpires that their main market is in agricultural/engineering applications. Their automotive oil is certainly cheaper than some, but Miller's at least is fairly coy about its API/ACEA grades

Kevin,
When I ordered the Vectra I specified a Synthetic fill (theory being to protect an expensive cat from new as I intended to keep this motor for a few years) However when I collected it I was informed by the Salesman that the car was filled with a standard non synthetic Vauxhall oil which they recommend for the first 10k to allow the engine to run in as the Synth stuff would "overprotect" the engine in those first critical thousands - I followed the advice and have run it on syntheic ever since (i.e. 5 services ago) since then it has been ran on either Esso, Shell and Mobil 1 (mega expensive) there doesn't seem to be any difference on day to day running, oil consumption is negligable between services. The Vauxhall oil in the last service was recommended as a more economical propostion than Mobil 1 (Service Manager must have seen me wince when he quoted the price).
I have no experience of Morris' oil - I once knew a rep for them who swore by it - but then I suppose he would !.
Other writers in the Forum seem to have a deeper mechanical knowledge than me on the various brands, I am generally convinced that Synthetic is best. I have owned and ran Japanese bikes since the early 80s and have apent a fortune on oiling these with synthetics - the theory in the 80s was that Japanese engines ran to such close tolerences that oilways got easily blocked and melted cams...........hence my conversion then........!
Re: Warning - ECOTEC Cam Belts - John Slaughter
Gwyn

I did wonder if you'd asked for synthetic oil, as it's not the usual fill. In my experience the Vauxhall dealers use a 'standard' GTX given the price charged. I couldn't change this for the first 6 services as it was a company car. I then used a semi synthetic changed at 6 month intervals after I purchased it and it was fine when sold at 76k. However, it's interesting that despite 10k changes and basic oil it never neede topping up and kept the oil clean for 3 - 4 k after a change! I suppose the saving grace was the long runs.

As for the bikes, a good oil is vital. Relatively small oil capacity, varying temperature as air cooled and monster engine speeds - yet they are still reliable!

Regards

John
Re: Warning - ECOTEC Cam Belts - Brian
With oil changes at 2,000 miles and services at 4,000 miles (instead of 3,000) I got 85,000 miles from a Honda 250cc bike before changing it. When I got rid of it the engine was as good as new and used no oil.
I believe regular changes with a good oil DO help, on cars as well as bikes.
Just to clarify....
the amount quoted on my bill was over and above the "normal charge " (menu price) for the standard mineral oil on this service.