peugeot 405 dead - archiep
Hi there, I hope someone can give me an idea of what's wrong with my L reg 405. Replaced battery about 6 weeks ago and has been running fine since then. Worked fine this morning then tried to get back in car this afternoon and there was no power at all.
peugeot 405 dead - mscott
I had exactly the same problem in a K reg 405 1.6. (I took the battery back to Halfords who showed me that it was fully charged. I reconnected it to the car and it was okay for a few weeks before appearing to fail again; turn the key and just a faint glow from the dashboard lights, nothing at all from the headlights or wipers and certainly nothing from the starter motor). Wiggling the earth lead to the battery usually helped to restore power until the next time.
peugeot 405 dead - Crinkly Dave
My own 405 (just sold at 237K reluctantly) used to do the same thing when hot for years. Used to open bonnet and go for a walk. Over the years tried battery, starter, new ignition switch.

Finally discovered lead direct from battery would work, so I fed lead from ignition switch to starter (not via immobiliser) and all seemed OK for 2 years.
peugeot 405 dead - LeePower
Unless its a june 1995 onwards 405 you cant call the standard Peugeot security system an immobiliser.

Battery terminals do stretch & lose contact + one fell off on my 1995 405 & the earth terminal is a rubbish screw on job from PSA dark ages.

I cut both terminals off & soldered new heavy duty ones on, that fixed a lot of my electrical gremlins

The double relay on the slam panel is a big favourite for going faulty, next time give it a little tap.

The 3 main big round loom connections behind passeneger side headlamp are another classic PSA piece of rubbish design, terminals spread apart inside & electrical faults then happen.

It will be a case of a dodgy connection somewhere, its just a case of slowly working your way through the system & finding it, good luck.