Magnets for oil filters - Spospe
Has anyone tried fitting these magnets onto oil filters and then cut the can open at an oil change and seen any startling benefits?

I mean these plastic coated high intensity magnets that wrap round the oil filter can and are claimed to trap all the ferrous swarf, rather like the magnetic drain plug used to do in a Mini.

Are they any good, or just a gadget for the gulible?
Magnets for oil filters - glowplug
They've been around a long time. I would think that they are useful but if you cut open your filter and it was really furry wouldn't you wonder where all that metal had come from? Mini's are different in that the gearbox and engine share oil so it needed something to remove any metal particles from bad gear changes. For the cost I'd say it's worth a shot.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
Magnets for oil filters - glowplug
Cut from a website -

Here is how it works:

Sub-micronic finely distributed iron particles act as a co-catalysts in oxidation of petroleum molecules

Removal of these fine iron particles from oil circulation, reduces the oxidation rate and therefore extends lubricant service life.

No special "MAGNETIC MAGIC" performed here, just a simple chemical reality!

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
Magnets for oil filters - milkyjoe
you can get a pair of very strong magnets out of a knackered old pc hard drive and slap them on the sump next to the drain plug,this is supposed to hold any metal particals in situ around the plug till the next oil change
Magnets for oil filters - Hamsafar
Also, you can get cheap neodymium magnets on ebay.
Magnets for oil filters - jc2
You used to be able to buy sump plugs with magnets built in.Not seen them for years.
Magnets for oil filters - Spospe
I have just done a search on eBay using "sump plugs" and turned up several ads for magnetic plugs, both original and after-market ones. Should have thought of doing this before my original post.
Magnets for oil filters - Cliff Pope
Once a magnet is snapped onto something magnetic there is very little residual field left for picking up iron filings, especially through a filter casing or sump. I'd have thought a magnetic plug would be much more effective. But why is there any metal debris there in the first place? Surely the old magnetic gearbox plugs were to pick up bits of chipped tooth in pre-synchro days?
Magnets for oil filters - Drew20
bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3690

this thread documents the efforts of a fellow E24 driver in using filter magnets to eliminate swarf. The BMW big six has an old skool cannister and cartridge filter rather than a "normal" metal can type
Magnets for oil filters - Hamsafar
Wouldn't these particles get trapped in the filter media anyway? Is there any point having them stuck to the side instead of in the filter medium?
Magnets for oil filters - gbn
I guess if it worked, they would be standard on all cars.

Car manufacturers must be clueless idiots to not use all these after market gizmos

No thanks...
Magnets for oil filters - buzbee
Some of the most powerful magnets you can get fairly easily, are those ferrite ones on the back of decent quality loudspeakers. A sort of flat doughnut shape about 70 mm dia and 13 mm thick. They are magnetised through the thickness disk (I think) and so if you put one of those on a thin sump that end metal will still be magnetic and collect iron particles as the N-S poles are not being shorted. But how you see to what effect, and ensuring you get rid of it when you drain, is another matter. Otherwise, on a point of principle, collecting the extra muck inside the filter, as opposed to holding elsewhere, might not be such a good idea.
Magnets for oil filters - edlithgow

Turns out I've got quite a fancy magnetic sump plug ("King" brand, looks like stainless steel with a magnetic insert) and it had a fine slurry on the tip when I recently changed the oil, but no big fragments.

I have to wonder if these plugs are such a great idea, though.

The wear particles on the tip were definately magnetised, since some could be removed by touching it with a paperclip, on which they adopted the characteristic "whiskery" appearance.

If these magnetised particles get dislodged from the plug by turbulence in the sump, they might tend to stick to other ferrous surfaces (eg crankshaft journals) , and probably wouldn't be removed by an oil drain.

This might cause accelerated wear, and might be why these plugs aren't (AFAIK) fitted as OEM.

I'd say magnetic "filtration" is more likely to be a good thing if its fitted somewhere it can be regularly checked and cleaned (to reduce particle magnetisation due to long residence) as on the dipstick, and/or where its upstream of a physical filter (which might retain magnetised particles), as with a spin-on canister jacket.

I left a magnetic pick-up tool down the dipstick hole when I didn't use the car for a few days, and it picked up a light coating of slurry too.

Since I'm not running in (in fact I'm closer to running out) I might retrofit a standard sump plug.

Magnets for oil filters - bob930232

Hi

I used have these.

Then i decided to a oil sump bolt with the magnet integrated into it, so that the magnet is in the oil.

I can't do it any harm.

Hope it's useful

Bob

Magnets for oil filters - 1litregolfeater

I wouldn't buy one, but it could be interesting getting a strong magnet out of a loudspeaker and sticking it on the sump plug.

If it has bits on, your engine is doomed, but more interestingly, it could draw bits of iron off the crankshaft sensor, so you don't have to get even dirtier trying to replace that.