bonnet latches - auxie
i have just been watching the bbc watchdog programme, and was rather concerned to hear there is, if watchdog are to be believed a quite serious failing of the clio mk11 bonnet latches which have led to some rather serious accidents due to the latch failing and allowing the bonnet to open, anyone here have a more details ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/05/2008 at 14:44

clio bonnet latches - Altea Ego
Only if you dont have the bonnet properly shut.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
clio bonnet latches - Robin Reliant
Watchdog claim to know of 200 cases where the bonnets on Clios have opened while the car was being driven. As this is a normally very rare occurrance on any car there is an obvious deign fault issue here.
--
clio bonnet latches - Xileno {P}
There's a long thread about this on Renaultforums.co.uk
clio bonnet latches - Altea Ego
Watchdog also claimed that BA had last 15,000 items of luggage in the last two months. They showed us the room to prove it.

I think i counted about 15 bags.

Watchdog is rubbish journalism of the worse kind, badly researched, inaccurate, and prone to bear faced lies and distortions. Nicky Cambell is nothing short of, well words fail me. Listen to him on radio 5 live every morning and you will get the idea. He makes the sun headline writer appear educated.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
clio bonnet latches - DP
Watchdog is rubbish journalism of the worse kind, badly researched, inaccurate,
and prone to bear faced lies and distortions.

I agree. SWMBO used to work for a major domestic appliance manufacturer who had an issue with the door safety interlocks being faulty on a handful of washing machines. Unfortunately, this resulted in the injury of a child which made the papers at the time. The company had notified all customers by telephone or registered post immediately within 24 hours, kitted up all engineers with the parts to resolve the problem, and had them all visiting customers as quickly as possible to check and if necessary rectify the problem FOC. In other words, acted as responsibly as anyone could reasonably expect.

This wasn't good enough for Watchdog. They featured it, stirred it up so badly it caused mass panic, told blatant untruths about the extent of the problem causing everyone with a machine of this brand to overrun the call centres. This slowed down the genuine resolution that was already in place by the company. The MD of the company appeared on Watchdog and was not allowed to get a word in edgeways, despite sticking his hands up and admitting that they were at fault.

Watchdog are pink fluffy dice stirring idiots who sensationalise in the name of cheap TV without caring a jot that they often make problems ten times worse. I knew through SWMBO what the real situation was, and the version of events they portrayed were completely different. I have since treated everything they feature with the same doubt and contempt.

Cheers
DP
clio bonnet latches - jc2
Just read an article about Sellafield-there was a report of a minor radiation leak-reported by an American and the BBC sent a helicopter equipped with loudspeakers to tell residents to evacuate the town-the residents told the helicopter and the American where to go.
clio bonnet latches - auxie
Thanks for the replies, have now had chance to inspect the latch, it appears fit for purpose to me, both the primary and secondary latches look fairly robust (well as robust as anything is on a renault) the only problem i can imagine is if the secondary latch somehow seized in the unlock postion (its spring loaded closed )and the primary failed, the bonnet would obviously open ,as on any car, further the watchdog report claimed the secondary latch was made from plastic, it isnt its steel, but the operating arm is plastic, much ado about nothing methinks, anyway ive given it a good lubing so hopefully all will be well
clio bonnet latches - cheddar
The problem is the secondary latch so, as TVM says, you will only have an issue if the bonnet is not shut properly. the secondary latch can sieze though it is easy enough to 1/ periodically check that it is operatiing smoothly and 2/ close the bonnet to make sure it engages before closing it fully.
clio bonnet latches - gk
www.renault.co.uk/about/category/10/newsnumber/673...x

Renaults answer