new car help - focusman
hi
looking at changing my car, at the moment i have a 1.6 focus automatic.
looking a changing and fancy the leon or golf 2.0 140ps dsg
what are members opions on these choices especially the dsg gearbox
thanks
new car help - turbo11
Brother in-law has bought with his own cash 2.0 golf with DSG, he rates it highly,but he will get rid of it after 3 or 4 years,as he doesn't trust VAG gearbox reliability.He had lots of gearbox problems previously with audi company cars.
new car help - boxsterboy
Had a test in a Golf TDI 170 DSG. Very smooth change and well worth the premium over a manual 'box. But I too have heard that the early ones at least had problems.

Maybe these are cured now, because VW are stopping all conventional torque converter autos and will only supply DSGs in the future, even on Polos.

But the Golf is seriously overpriced IMHO, which was confirmed by the salesman dismissing the price list to talk solely about PCPs.
new car help - daveyjp
"But I too have heard that the early ones at least had problems."

I have an A3 2.0 DSG almost two years old and 30,000 miles. I have done extensive searches and spoken to my dealer and in both cases "problems with early ones" appears to be an urban myth. I'm sure there have been a few failures, but there doesn't appear to be any inherent defect with the system. Any such problems would quickly manifest themsleves on the various VAG owners club websites.

As an example some friends have an EOS which seems to be leaking water into the boot. One quick Google search found an owners website and a number of other owners experiencing a similar problem. There was also the solution to curing it.

I personally wish Audi would get the DSG installed in their range quicker!!
new car help - turbo11
The various Audi gearbox problems my brother in law had(admittedly not DSG-yet) all manifested themselves between 40K to 60K miles.His is 2 years old in march and he will have covered 60K miles.touchwood.
new car help - AllTorque
DSG is excellent - got it on a 2.0tdi Seat Altea. Sports mode is good fun. Had a Merc autobox before and it is not quite as smooth as that was changing down at very low speeds (I'm being very fussy over this though), but going up it's much better than the Merc was.