New car warranties. - piston power
I have a 56 plate astra when i need it's first service vx want £156.00 to change the oil & filter and check the brakes etc, (no other parts fitted)!!!
my question is : can i service the car myself and sign the service book using vx parts and keep all receipts? will the 3yr warranties still stand? i am a time served mechanic so no probs here but just no longer working in the motor vehicle industry to get it stamped.
i know i can use an independent garage but there not much cheaper and all they will do is the same or will i just have to bite the bullet and cough up my brass??
New car warranties. - Xileno {P}
I beleive it has to be a VAT registered establishment.
New car warranties. - jc2
Don't know about other manufacturers but the Ford warranty only states that all work must be carried out inline with Ford schedules and recommendations.Read your service book.
New car warranties. - Altea Ego
Well put it like this, when you come to sell the car you may have problems. I would accept someone showing me the evidence they are doing their own oil changes, and take that as someone being careful and diligent. The great unwashed public however might assume you couldnt be bothered to get it serviced and are pulling a fast one.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
New car warranties. - oldpostie
A full service, including examining brakes, on my 55 plate Astra (petrol), came to £120 (inc. VAT) at my local independent. I understand the warranty is unaffected. So far, it has needed nothing doing and runs very well.
New car warranties. - piston power
£120.00 is fine for a 55 plate at least you will get plugs air/fuel filters etc!! i will bite the bullet and pay for the stamp thanks for the replies..
New car warranties. - Simon
Unfortunately with new cars I think you have to pay for that stamp for the first couple of years at least. I have a '54 reg Focus ST170 and it is in its final year of its warranty. I could easily have serviced it myself each year but it is that all important stamp in your service book that stops you from doing so. Thus I have let Ford service it after the first year and after the second year, so I have an up to date service book with regards to any warranty issues. It will not be serviced by Ford any longer, by the time it needs servicing again it will be out of warranty and I can do as I please.