Computer Related Questions - Volume 116 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 117 *****

In this thread you may ask any computer related question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

Usual rules apply,

No motoring related discussion,
No politics,
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

There is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 116. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20892

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

PC occasionally freezes - andymc {P}
While I'm at it, here's another one:

This PC occasionally freezes, usually when I have more than one IE window open. Even bringing up Task Manager and trying to "End Process" just prompts a "Not Responding" message. I have to go into the Processes tab and close things from there to free it up again - something I don't like doing as I'm kind of working in the dark.

Previously a problem with the McAfee (which sometimes turns off the On-Access Scan feature) has been identified but following the links has produced nothing more than "There is no solution to the problem you are having at this time". This time, I followed the same "click here for further information" to see that there is a problem relating to "vstskmgr", which I take it means VirusScan Task Manager. Any ideas what could be causing it?

It's version 8.0.0, if that makes any difference.

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
PC occasionally freezes - Stuartli
See: www.file.net/process/vstskmgr.exe.html

exelib.com/exe/199

www.auditmypc.com/process/vstskmgr.asp

www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processli.../
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Thank you Stuart! If we ever meet up the drinks are on me ...

I've downloaded a shareware program from one of your links, Registry Booster. It tells me that there are 38 problems/errors found on my system, and that it will repair 15 of them for free. A lot of the ones it has found are "Missing or Invalid Path" - would these be less urgent than something like "Missing c****"? I have no idea how this stuff works, but I'm sure it would be a good idea to click on "Registry Backup" before going any further.

--
andymc
Oh, that must be part of the stuff the swear filter blocks. The stars stand for C L S I D.
--
andymc
PC occasionally freezes - Stuartli
You would be far better to use CCCleaner:

www.ccleaner.com/ (freeware)

On the second tab, Issues, check for Issues and then choose to Fix Issues.

This will clear up any problems. Take a backup just in case though when asked if you wish to do so.
How do I prevent online adverts? - Round The Bend
Quick thanks for your replies on Vol 115. I'll try these out at the weekend.
_______
IanS
Domain Name Availability - drbe
Could someone point me to a website which shows available domain names, with the various endings; i.e.; .com; .co.uk; etc. please?
Domain Name Availability - SpamCan61 {P}
Try this one for starters:-

www.whois.org/
Domain Name Availability - Altea Ego
Or here

www.easyspace.com/
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Domain Name Availability - cheddar
If you want to register a domain for a small business you can do it totally free by signing up for Microsoft Live Basics Beta, its says .co.uk though can be any suffix, note that the Essentials and Premium are only free during the Beta period. You can even create a good looking web site albeit with limited creative flexibility though lots of stats/hits tools etc.

office.microsoft.com/en-gb/officelive/default.aspx
Domain Name Availability - adverse camber
Just watch for transfer costs and future pricing.

www.123-reg.co.uk
Domain Name Availability - R75
try www.domainmonster.com their search function is quite good.
Domain Name Availability - drbe
Thank you all for those suggestions.
USB port inconsistency #2 - cheddar
As per CRQ Vol 115 I have a possible issue re USB. A similar issue to SjB it seems, firstly just an update on the issue:

It seems that the five USB ports on the rear of the PC are not USB2.0. It is apparent that USB2.0 is provided when the USB ports are connected to a "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller", either the reference to "USB2" or the word "Enhanced" are required. However on my system the rear ports are connected to a "USB Universal Host Controller". Only the front ports and the internal port for the media card reader are connected to a "USB2 Enhanced Host Controller". This conflicts with the manual for the system which clearly states that ALL eight USB ports are USB2.0.

Now, the PC manufacturer has suggested updating the chipset drivers, it is an Intel 945G chipset, seems logical, any thoughts before I try it? The system is fine otherwise and I dont want to introduce more probs.

Thanks.

USB port inconsistency #2 - Victorbox
Cheddar,

My son received a MESH PC from Father Christmas this year with the same 4 rear & 2 front USB ports. His iPOD has been connected to all 6 ports & not once has Windows XP said "this device will run faster if connected to a USB 2 port etc......" which you get with USB 1.1and speeds seem of a USB 2 level. The DELL PC's we have at work are all USB 2 x 6 ports and only one reference to "USB 2 Enhanced Host Controller" is shown in Device Manager along with 3 "Universal Host Controllers".
I can't imagine any new PC's built in the last 12 months still have USB1.1 ports.
Chipset updating can be fraught with dangers so you could try deleting the USB ports in Device Manager & let Windows XP (if Service Pack 2) re-detect the ports.
Cheddar,
My son received a MESH PC from Father Christmas this year
with the same 4 rear & 2 front USB ports. His
iPOD has been connected to all 6 ports & not once
has Windows XP said "this device will run faster if connected
to a USB 2 port etc......" which you get with USB
1.1and speeds seem of a USB 2 level. >>

Interesting, SjB has had similar issues to me though witha Mesh.

>>The DELL PC's
we have at work are all USB 2 x
6 ports and only one reference to "USB 2 Enhanced Host
Controller" is shown in Device Manager along with 3 "Universal Host
Controllers".

>>

Mine is a Dell, it has 5 rear, 2 front and 1 internal USB and shows 1 x "USB 2 Enhanced Host Controller" and 4 x "Universal Host Controllers" in Device Manager.

>> Chipset updating can be fraught with dangers >>

My concerns though Dell tech support site suggests it is an "Urgent" update.
USB port inconsistency #2 - Victorbox
My thoughts are that only one reference to USB2 Enhanced Host Controller will show in Device Manager however many ports are USB2.
Unless you have an older motherboard with USB 1.1 & an add in USB 2 PCI card it is likely that once SP2 is installed Windows XP will detect & make all true USB2 ports active as USB2.
I'm surprised that if an Intel chip update is so urgent is isn't showing on the Windows XP Update site under Hardware Updates in a Custom scan.
USB port inconsistency #2 - Stuartli
Updated motherboard drivers should be downloaded from the motherboard manufacturer's website for your particular mobo model and Intel chipset.

However, as Victorbox has stated, XP should install the necessary USB drivers once the device has been connected.

I have two USB Enhanced Host Controllers listed in Device Manager (drivers date back to June 2002).
USB port inconsistency #2 - SjB {P}
Despite multiple removals of USB drivers and rebooting to let XP reinstall (which it does) my TV tuner still won't work on the back panel's four USB ports even though it works perfectly well on either of the two top panel USB ports. Although it appears (from the descriptions used) that the back panel drivers are USB 1.1, I am about to try another tack; connect a powered USB hub to one of the back panel USB ports, and the TV tuner to that. I want to prove if voltage is the real issue, especially since the TV tuner is 100% USB powered.

As it happens, when I took delivery of my PC I gave my USB 2.0 powered hub to my neighbour, thinking I didn't need it! Now to ask to borrow it back! ;-)
I am about to try another tack; connect a powered USB hub to one of the back panel USB ports, and the TV tuner to that. I want to prove if voltage is the real issue, especially since the TV tuner is 100% USB powered.

No joy.
Problem remains, so it's not marginal voltage and looks more than ever that it is the USB 1.1 issue that it has looked like for some time.
Have contacted supplier ref BIOS as this is one of the few areas of a PC that I feel uneasy touching, hence not doing so yet.
Updated motherboard drivers should be downloaded from the motherboard manufacturer's website
for your particular mobo model and Intel chipset.

Mobo and chipset are two different things though, the chipset is Intel, the mobo Dell. Eitherway Dell has an updated chipset driver for the Intel 945G on it's support website.

However, as Victorbox has stated, XP should install the necessary USB
drivers once the device has been connected.

>>

That installs device specific USB drivers, not the USB controller/root hub drivers.

>>Either way Dell has an updated chipset driver for the Intel 945G on it's support website.>>

This is splitting hairs. Dell generally buys OEM motherboards and, as far as I'm aware, slightly adapts them to suit its purpose. The basic premise still applies.

Many USB device manufacturers issue their own drivers for such products, which is why it is wise to use either their specific CD-ROM disks or website drivers download.

Generally speaking, however, if you buy a memory card reader/writer or similar product, it should work out of the box if you have XP; it's earlier versions of Windows that require drivers to be installed.
This is splitting hairs.>>

I guess it is a difference between USB controller drivers and device drivers and XP is providing the device drivers.

However progress, apparently the USB controller is Intel 82801 hence why the drivers are updated along with the Intel chipset drivers.

Regards.

For me at least, a late night and at times a frustrating night, but at long last, S U C C E S S!

Having tried unsucessfully to get the rear panel ports to work as USB 2.0 by uninstalling the USB drivers and allowing XP to reinstall, and having proven (purely to exhaust all options) by using a powered hub that the (solely USB powered tv tuner) was not receiving a marginal voltage, I asked MESH for more help.

Reworded, but the suggestion detail was:

1) Start regedit
2) Open Hkey_Local_Machine \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ Current Version
3) Select entry DevicePath
4) Modify to new value C:\Windows\Inf (the old value was %SystemRoot%\inf;%SystemDrive%\drivers\scsi)
5) Close regedit
6) Reboot

Well blow me down; the tv tuner was then not only detected on one of the back panel USB ports (as it always was) but also by Media Center (which it wasn't before) and it appeared in System / Hardware / Device Manager as a USB 2.0 device.

For completeness of post, it didn't actually work at this point as scanning returned only 10 channels whereas when plugged in to either of the top panel USB 2.0 ports it had previouslt returned 74 (still less than the 104 returned by the lounge tv, but includes all I want so no problem). To get it to scan properly (well, the same 74 channels at least) I uninstalled the drivers, removed a few junk registry entries, rebooted, reinstalled the drivers, and rebooted again. At this point it finally worked properly using one of the back panel USB ports.

Hurrah!

Thanks for help and suggestions along the way guys, and good luck resolving your USB issue, cheddar.
>>C:WindowsInf

Most will know but for those that don't but want to use the information above; posting has of course removed the backslash characters between : and Windows and Windows and Inf that should be there.
Congratulations..:-)
USB port inconsistency #2 - BazzaBear {P}
Any idea of the logic of that? What was the old regedit entry doing that the new one is changing?

Very impressive for MESH to be able to come up with such an abstract sounding solution over the phone!
Well done SjB!

Sounds like it allows Windows to find the controller drivers as well as the device drivers, I will look into this re my system, the ref "driversscsi" appears to refer to SCSI, an alternative to IDE, SATA etc, unlikely that you would have any SCSI devices on your system me thinks unless it has a SCSI hard drive / drives? Also you can get USB to SCSI adapters, do you have an external SCSI device that you were driving via USB? Again perhaps a h/d. If so does it work?

Regards.
do you have an external SCSI device that you were driving via USB? Again perhaps a h/d. If so does it work?

I use a LaCie external HDD (a Western Digital disk inside, I think) as part of my backup regime but this is not a Small Computer Systems Interface device and I don't use any others either, be this by USB adaptor or whatever; the original settings were "out of the box" (and with revised Registry setting seen to be intact, the LaCie HDD continues to work).

Hope your problem gets sorted soon.
OpenOffice v Publisher ? - cheddar
Hello,

Does "Draw" in OpenOffice open/save MS Publisher files?

Thanks.
OpenOffice v Publisher ? - SjB {P}
Does "Draw" in OpenOffice open/save MS Publisher files?

This, and some other issues queryable in the OO search engine, imply "No" unfortunately: www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=48700
OpenOffice v Publisher ? - Baskerville
I don't think Draw is equivalent to Publisher, is it? Here's an explanation of why DTP isn't quite the same as other things:

www.scribus.net/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=3#q19
OpenOffice v Publisher ? - cheddar
Thanks guys, I have something that someone has produced in publisher and want to share with others who dont have Publisher.

Anyone know of any Open Source apps the open / save Publisher files?

Thanks.
OpenOffice v Publisher ? - Baskerville
The only thing I can think of is to save it as pdf or some other readily usable format such as HTML.
OpenOffice v Publisher ? - Stuartli
Re Publisher. See:

beqiraj.com/office/viewer/index.asp

Also:

www.microsoft.com/office/previous/xp/columns/colum...p

office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA01111145103...x
What's for you won't pass you by
How often do emails go astray? - former farmer
How often do emails go astray?

In this instance the school claims an email , regarding a latest date to book
something was sent but which I have not received. I have recieved several other emails at the time this one was sent.
Thanks.
How often do emails go astray? - Altea Ego
How often do emails go astray?

more frequently than you think, and getting worse now that spam emails are getting harder to block, spam blockers are getting more frequently used, leading to emails being rejected or lost anywhere in the chain.

I always attach return reciepts on mail I want to know is received.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
IE 7 ignores request. - henry k
I open a window with bbc.co.uk, which has a list of links down the L/H side.
I then click on favourites and the list drops down.
I select a favourite and click on it.

Frequently I get the BBC link page not the one I selected.

Is this another MS "feature" or , as I suspect , a bug?

If it is a bug does anyone know the( apparently secret email address to Mr Gates lot) ?
Networking over AC mains - Phil I
There have been a few mentions previously but this piece in PCW is of interest.

preview.tinyurl.com/228flx

Happy Surfing Phil I
Networking over AC mains - Baskerville
I haven't measured network speed, but my experience of this is very positive.

I use a combination of wireless and mains networking at home, including two wireless APs and three of these homeplug things. Two of them enable me to have a wireless AP in my home office at the bottom of the garden (30 metres from the house). The third connects the ancient (1.2Ghz P3, 256MB RAM) Linux-based "media" PC which plays movies and streamed music in the family room and runs ftp and web servers with research materials and scanned recipes on the LAN. I imagine the CPU load on the PC is pretty high at times...

The mains networking is very reliable in my experience (I'm using "high speed" units of two different makes). We have low energy bulbs in every room and even when the builders were using their frankly lethal cement mixer we experienced no problems. Highly recommended.
Networking over AC mains - Baskerville
I should have added that I've opted for the Homeplug standards-based system so that I can expand and upgrade the network in the future. My three Homeplug devices are actually by two different manufacturers, bought over a year apart, and work well together. Some manufacturers use a proprietary system which locks you into buying only their products. The rascals.
PC Spec for editing video - johnny
Having bought a mini dv camcorder for my sons birthday, will I need to upgrade my PC to be able to do video editing?
Current spec Dell dimension 2400 P4 2.8mHz - 512 MB RAM, 80 & 40 gb HDD. Old Nvidia Geforce MX400 2 PCI graphics card. I have no AGP slot on this PC, btw. I'll need a firewire card and DVD burner anyway.

Also can anyone recommend a cheap / free video editing package for XP

thanks
PC Spec for editing video - rtj70
Not a superfast PC but will probably cope - just. Graphics card should not really be a problem as it's only showing video.

But I'd recommend:

- More memory if possible - will it take some more or are all the slots filled
- Definately need more hard disk space. DV video is uncompressed and is quite large, like 3.5Mb per second.
- Lots of patience - converting DV video in MPEG to burn DVD's take a lot of processing power. Something your PC does not have a lot of. Expect it to run flat our for hours on end converting the video into MPEG
- There are lots of video editing packages, e.g. Windows Movie Maker very basic but free. Then there's the other end of the market still aimed at home users like Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 which is about £60 and there's probably a trial version to download from Adobe.

Thanks RTJ - I'm keeping an eye out on the Dell outlet shop on e-bay, these appear to be good buys. What constitutes good processing power these days?
PC Spec for editing video - rtj70
The Pentium 4 and Celeron derivatives were never that efficient - AMD's processors were outrunning them at lower clocks speed. So I'd avoid Pentium 4, Pentium D and Celeron derivatives.

Intel last year admitted the Netburst architecture (which relied on high clock speed and thus lots of electric used and heat produced) was at a dead and and release the new Core Solo and Core Duo chips. These were then followed by Core 2 Duo/Solo. Don't be misled in thinking a 3.6GHz Pentium D chip is faster than a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo because it is not - the newer architecture of the Core Duo/Solo chips means more is done every clock tick... lots more. The Core 2 chip will run rings round the older Pentium D.

As an aside, the difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo is the former was closely derived from the Pentium M's and was 32bit only. Core 2 Duos are improved again and are also 64-bit capable so a bit more future proof.

If I was in the market for a fast PC now I'd look at an Intel Core 2 Duo setup which will surprise people who know me. I've been a fan of AMD processors for ages because they were better designed than Intel's P4s. But a Core Duo is faster than equivalent Athlon 64s at lower clock speeds - the table has been turned. Having said that a decent Althon 64 X2 would be a very good processor to have in a system.

If you're looking at Dell's outlet shop you are more likely to find an Intel based system but they do some AMD systems now. But don't go for a Pentium 4, Pentium D (which is a dual core Pentium 4) .... go for a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo if you can.

One final comment, if you want to use for video editing get lots of storage and at least 1GB RAM but storage most important.
PC Spec for editing video - Stuartli
This is a good website for bargains from Dell, HP, Compaq etc - keen prices and rapid delivery.

Some of the Compaq small factor cases, for instance, cost more than £700 new and can be had for around £160-170 upwards.
Sorry, the phone rang in the middle of that and I posted in error. Link is:

www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/New_Items.html
PC Spec for editing video - cheddar
The Pentium 4 and Celeron derivatives were never that efficient -
AMD's processors were outrunning them at lower clocks speed. So I'd
avoid Pentium 4, Pentium D and Celeron derivatives.

Pentium 4s are excellent, AMD matched them on mutlitasking with lower clock speeds though for single tasking such as processing DV a high clock speed P4 is not so far behind the latest Core Duos. Likewise the fast Pentium Ds are both dual core and high clock speed and are good for CPU intensive applications if not as efficient at multitasking as a Core Duo. A 2.8 ghz P4 on a single app is still pretty contemporary.

The OP's 2.8 ghz P4 is, depending on the chipset, perhaps a socket 775 and running 800 mhz FSB, maybe a 520 processor, if so it can be upgraded to a 570 running at 3.8ghz which it pretty juicy, might even take the 600 series processors. However on the otherhand it might be a 533mhz FSB P4 in which case IIRC it could take a 3.06 ghz 533mhz FSB P4 though not worth the effort. The Dell community forums are good for asking upgrade questions etc.

Don't be misled in thinking a 3.6GHz Pentium D chip
is faster than a 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo because it is
not >>

Agreed though fopr some applications the clock speed of the D means it competes.
PC Spec for editing video - pmh
Have a look at www.europc.co.uk They sell off Dell old/frustrated stock at prices lower than the Dell factory shop.

Service in the past has been excellent and most come with 3yr on site Dell warranty which is not cheap if you had to buy it!

--

pmh (was peter)

PC Spec for editing video - SjB {P}
I just purchased a new PC for exactly this purpose. After much research I settled on a MESH Elite base package that was then specced to my exact needs but of which the engine is 2.4Ghz Intel dual core (excellent bang for buck), 2GB DDR2 RAM, NVIDIA 512 graphics card (I also play MS Flight Sim) and 2x320GB 72000 Baraccudas (with another 7200RPM plus a 10,000RPM HDD to be added shortly). High quality components, good price, nothing purchased that I didn't want, and what has proven to be good customer service answering some very technical questions.

I was advised, and have found to be true, that for proper video editing you need at least two HDDs; try and use one and the poor head can't keep up with processing needs, reading and writing video (a demanding task) and reading and writing audio. When I tried to use a highly specced but single HDD laptop the audio was always "clipped". The MESH in contrast is a flying machine that delivers the results expected.

PC Spec for editing video - Altea Ego
Just built, for a private client, a 2.66 ghz core 2 quadro, it is I have to say, astonishingly quick. The client wanted the 3ghz version but I could obtain polonium easier!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
mm hadn't thought much about building one, I've always assumed it's cheaper to buy ready made.
mm hadn't thought much about building one, I've always assumed it's cheaper to buy ready made.

Probably is, the core 2 quadro cost over 600 quid, just for the CPU alone. 380 quid graphics card, etc.

Given my fee this beast cost over 1500 quid.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>Given my fee this beast cost over 1500 quid.>>

Still sounds pretty reasonable. We always used to reckon in the late 1980s up towards the late 1990s that £1,000 was the benchmark for a reasonable system.
PS

I've still got a then main retailer's catalogue for September 1995, when Windows 95 was launched, and some of the prices are eye watering.
PC Spec for editing video - SjB {P}
>>it is I have to say, astonishingly quick

Exactly what I find of the 2.4 Ghz dual core MESH jobbie, too.
Unbelievably, blindingly, quick, and open Task Manager to find the processor is just tickling along, too, much of the time.
>>Exactly what I find of the 2.4 Ghz dual core MESH
jobbie, too.
Unbelievably, blindingly, quick, >>

Should be, the E6600 Conroe costs only around £200 and is the third fastest processor you can get - period - measured against most benchmarks, only the 6700 and 6800 are quicker and they cost in the region of £550 and £800 respectively.
you forget quad core kentsfields.......
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
you forget quad core kentsfields.......

I did forget to mention them though according to Toms the E6700 Conroe is as fast as the QX6700 Kentsfield in most real life apps.
Problem with DVD ROM drive from CRQ115 - Mike H
Just to report back, I posted regarding a problem with the DVD ROM drive in my son's computer not playing video DVDs but it was OK with games. I cleaned the lens, which sort of help, but yesterday I updated rhe firmware on fossyant's suggestion and all seems to be OK now (this was a saga in itself as it needed to be booted into DOS but I won't bore anyone with it!). Seems tht the drive was Liteon's oldest DVD-ROM, and the firmware was three levels back. Thanks Fossyant!
Jamcam driver - P.Mason {P}
I've just bought (at a car boot sale for the grand total of 50P!) a Jamcam 3 digital camera, intended as an 'evidence' camera to reside in my glovebox. The camera is fully working, but came without the driver disk, and I haven't had any joy downloading from the web. If any backroomer has the disk, could I purchase a copy?
Many thanks,

P.
Jamcam driver - Phil I
Try here

tinyurl.com/28oosq

(Let google be your friend.

Happy downloading drivers. Phil I
Jamcam driver - Stuartli
Love the Survey questions...:-)
Jamcam driver - Phil I
Just hoping the Stoneman reads some of the forum posts before downloading or even just turning the camera on ;-)
Many thanks, Phil.

I had already registered with the site and downloaded a driver, which isn't being recognised as a Win. compatible program..
I'll keep trying!

Thanks again,

P.
Jamcam driver - Stuartli
You could always switch to a £2.99 disposable film type.
Phil,

I belatedly got the 'Stoneman' allusion(!), and read the forum posts. It is looking increasingly complicated, and I may just end up 'writingoff' my 50p.!

regards,

P.
Jamcam driver - Phil I
My apologies for not reading the intro to the site before posting the link. Seems to be loads of help available tho. Will depend on what OS you are running and now much time you have to spare. Good luck attend your endeavours. Most of my peripherals have been sourced from boot sales and are serving me very well.

Phil I
Jamcam driver - JH
Can't you just put the memory card into a reader? No driver needed then.

Have you thought about how you're going to keep the camera charged? I favour the 35mm disposable idea.

JH
Good thinking, JH, there's no card in the camera at the moment, but memory cards have never been cheaper, and I have a reader.
Phil 1, thanks for your help,- I'll keep at it! I'm usually lucky with my boot sale purchases - bought a Canoscan scanner with slide attachment last Sunday (£10) which works perfectly,- I've been copying old (30 yrs+) slides all week!

regards,

P.
Flash.ocx file? - drbe
If my PC is left unused for 30 minutes or so the "ERROR" message box appears on the screen with the message 'flash.ocx could not be found'

Should I worry or not? What does it mean?

As usual, my thanks in advance.
Flash.ocx file? - BazzaBear {P}
The file in question is to do with Macromedia Flash Player. So nothing terribly important, or worrisome.

You might find that putting flash.ocx into google helps, there may be other people who have put similar problems onto other forums.
CAPS LOCK - bintang
How can I get a warning beep when this is pressed? I can do so when it is switched OFF but this is not much use.
(It is at Start/Control Panel/Accessibiltiy Options/Keyboard/ Use Togglekeys.)
CAPS LOCK - Altea Ego
You get a warning beep when its off and when it on. diffrent sound but one for each action. HIGH BEEP FOR ON, low beep for off
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
CAPS LOCK - Stuartli
The various Windows sound effects are configured from Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Sounds tab.
Realplayer has taken over - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Somehow our pc has been overtaken by realplayer. realplayer is now the default media player for everything. How do I change it back so window media player opens everything.

Thanks for any help.
Realplayer has taken over - BazzaBear {P}
Open Media Player, go to tools/options, open the 'file types' tab and tick all the ones you want to use media player by default.
Realplayer has taken over - cheddar
Open WMP, then:

Tools>Options>File Types

You can then select all file types you want WMP to be the default for.
Realplayer has taken over - Stuartli
RealPlayer will take over everything if you let it. Go to Preferences in RealPlayer and configure it to use whatever YOU wish for playing videos, music etc.
Realplayer has taken over - Altea Ego
Real player is a nasty horris piece of software that gums up your pc and spies on you.

Dump it totaly and use "real alternative" works really well

www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>Dump it totally and use "real alternative" works really well>>

Even better advice and wonder why I didn't think of it as well, especially as I use it, plus QuickTime Alternative, for the very reasons that TVM states.

WMP 11 is really excellent and is free.
>>WMP 11 is really excellent and is free.>>

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond is asking how he can revert to WMP being the Default player.
Realplayer has taken over - Altea Ego
WMP 11 is free and ties you down even tighter into digital rights management, ie bill gates tellling me I can and cant rip and play on my machine.

For that reason WMP 9 is still installed on TVM machines

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
WMP 11 is free and ties you down even tighter into
digital rights management, ie bill gates tellling me I can and
cant rip and play on my machine.
For that reason WMP 9 is still installed on TVM machines

Tools>Options>Privacy controls all DRM issues, WMP 10 was a major advance over 9, 11 is better still.
>>WMP 11 is really excellent and is free.>>
ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond is asking how he can revert to WMP being the
Default player.

>>

I know Stuart, accordingly I was answering TVM's point about alternatives to Real Player.
Realplayer has taken over - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Thanks for all your help. Problem is fixed.
Video thumbnails don't display - SjB {P}
All MPEG2 video downloaded to PC from our Sony DCR-SR100 HDD camcorder has been done so with the supplied Pixela Imagemixer software. Some videos display a thumbnail in Windows Explorer and XP Media Center, but most don't. All however correctly display a thumbnail when previewed with Imagemixer.

Ideas to solve please?

I use an "intelligent" naming convention of yyyymmddhh24mm_short_description.mpg for each video, but thumbnails are by far the quickest search method when scanning for known clips to build in to an authored film. All video we have ever shot currently still exists in original form on the camera's hard disk, so I can download again if absolutely necessary but I'd rather not; renaming took time! Instead, I'd rather force Windows to find the first video frame, something it currently appears not to always do.

Many thanks.
Video thumbnails don't display - Altea Ego
It depends on the proprties of the folder you are using to display them. I bet all the ones that do display thumbnails are in the same folder(s) and all the ones that dont are in different folder(s)
Right click the folder and fiddle with its properties.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Video thumbnails don't display - cheddar
Ideas to solve please?

No sorry, though a few comments, I have ImageMixer 1.7 and have the following problems despite 50 mins of DV creating about 1.2GB of Mpeg.

Problem #1: The video play back quality in either Imagemixer or Media Player is carp (sound seems OK), though it is excellent when played directly from the camcorder onto our widescreen TV.

Problem #2: The sound / video sync is fine for most of the movie though it suddenly goes out of sync by about 1.5 seconds around 25 mins into the 45 / 50 min movie. Again the sync is fine if played directly from the camcorder on the TV.

However I do see a correctly displayed thumbnail in both ImageMixer and Windows Explorer irrespective of how the files are named, the Mpegs are useless though the thumbnails are fine ;-)

Regards.