Noisy Honda Gearbox - Al 42
The gearbox on my year old 2.4 Accord (6 speed) seems quite noisy, it's not a bearing whining type noise, but you can hear the motions of the box inside the car coming up through the gearlever. The noise is not pronounced but I can hear a sort of whooshing until the engine revs rise over it. The noise is most obvious (to me) in 2nd & 3rd from low revs, above this road and engine noise tends to drown it out. My wife has a Megane which doesn't have the same problem, however a rental Kia on holiday (low miles) was much worse.
My dealer says there's not a problem and I've had them change the transmission fluid. Do you think this is a characteristic of the gearbox and I'm being over sensitive to the noise, or could this be the start of a problem? I've had the car from new and it's done 10K.
Noisy Honda Gearbox - DeepBlue
doesn't sound right.

shouldn't be getting any gearbox noise on a modern car unless something is wrong.

That said, Honda dealership will be less useful that a chocolate fireguard imho..... and will just keep saying it's normal. tell them you want to go for a drive in identical model car so you can see (hear) for yourself.
Noisy Honda Gearbox - Aprilia
Really its impossible to say without hearing it.

Could you maybe try out another example of the same model at the dealer's - to put your mind at rest (or otherwise!).
Thank you for the advice, this would seem the sensible option,. I'll give the dealer a call and see how I get on.
Noisy Honda Gearbox - ablandy
ive got a 2.4 type s with the 6 speed box and have never noticed any noise from it.

agree its best for you to try another one.
Spoke to the Honda dealer, explained the problem - asked if someone could have a quick look to put my mind at rest or otherwise. I was informed that this could be done but, if there wasn't a problem and, a subsequent warranty claim, they would charge me £50!! I spoke to Honda UK who informed me that they could do this at their discretion! Isn't it funny how a 5 minute conversation with a dealer is enough to decide you will never buy another one of their cars again. I don't see this as a good way of fostering customer loyalty, someone could have a quick look at my car inside 5mins. Wish I'd kept my Merc, admittedly I was always at the dealer, but they looked after me well!

Noisy Honda Gearbox - Scott H
I thought the consensus of opinion from the above posters was that you should test an identical model to yours to see if the same noise was present? What did the dealer say to this suggestion?
They don't have any 2.4 Accords in stock so it's not an option at this point in time. Not sure where to go from here in the short term, there's plenty of warranty left, so I think just monitor it to see if it gets any worse.
Noisy Honda Gearbox - ablandy
try another dealer? Or maybe test drive one from an independent dealer?
Noisy Honda Gearbox - DeepBlue
Tell them that having spent £x,000 on a "premium" brand car, you find their suggestion that they'll charge you £50 just to help diagnose a problem unacceptable. Mention that if thats their policy, you'd like to speak to the dealer principal about how their policy has just lost his/her business an awful lot of future custom.

Noise from a gearbox is definately not normal. By ignoring it, you could me making the problem a lot worse. Get it fixed. GET IT FIXED!
Noisy Honda Gearbox - Mirandadozen

I am having problems with gearbox noise on my new Civic (1,360 miles) which is more like a whining, bearing noise. The dealership is replacing the box. I think you need to give your dealer some grief.