Dealer fixing car but not sure how to - stunorthants26
My sisters MGF which will shortly be put up for sale has had an annoying issue with the power steering, notably with the actual assistance rather than the mechaincal bits.

Anyway, last autumn, my sister booked it in under warranty and they turned round and said that nothings wrong with it - my whole family had a go at replicating it and all managed in bout 5 seconds, so doesnt say much for the mechanic.

Anyhow, it was booked in AGAIN today because I insisted that there was an issue having driven over 500 different MGFs when I used to work with them, I knew something wasnt right with the car.

Anyhow, they phoned my sister up today and said, yes we have found there is a problem with the electrics on the rack and we have ordered a part, but were not sure if it will solve the problem, nor do we actually know whats causing the problem, we are just guessing!

The MGF has been around for 12 years now - surely an ex MG main dealer who dealt with Rovers for 40 years can identify a problem with one? I had to laugh as at the MG dealer I used to work at, you had mechanics who could diagnose problems like that just by the description of the fault.

Are main dealers really this inept? What on earth do they teach them these days, because it sure doesnt seem to be related to fixing cars!
Dealer fixing car but not sure how to - barchettaman
Maybe check with the MG owners club, they may be familiar with the problem if you describe its symptoms.
Dealer fixing car but not sure how to - Chas{P}
Try this link:

www.mg-rover.org/

HTH
Dealer fixing car but not sure how to - Roly93
Bit worrying really, it seems the more complex cars get the less skilled dealers mechanics are becoming. I think the trouble is that the big dealerships no longer have 'proper' apprentices any more. Those that they do have are trained to do certain things if they certain other things happening on a vehicle. Rather than given a really good generic grounding in engineering and electrics, and then given model specific traning. ie if you never get taught to think in the first place, you'll never be able to think around a problem.
Dealer fixing car but not sure how to - L'escargot
Are main dealers really this inept? What on earth do they
teach them these days, because it sure doesnt seem to be
related to fixing cars!

It's a bit unfair to slag off "main dealers" when the problem you're experiencing is purely down to the inability of a particular technician to positively replicate and diagnose the cause of one problem on one car.
--
L\'escargot.
Dealer fixing car but not sure how to - nortones2
A neighbour who trains technicians in maintenance of FLT's, has commented that many trainees (and those on refresher courses especially) fail to grasp that the diagnostic system only works where its supporting players and sensors are operating properly. So quite often they fail to diagnose quickly and correctly because they've just run the programme. Without considering if there is a mechanical failure, or defect, which would prevent an accurate remedy. In the commercial world, its not the parts cost, but unnecessary downtime that causes financial pain. In industry, a foul-up will be pursued. I guess where the car owner is concerned its get the turnover today: they can always come back. How many times has the turbo been replaced and it is later found that a minor tube has been split, causing the ECU to misread?
Dealer fixing car but not sure how to - stunorthants26
The part was apparently £750 worth alone - makes you question whether or not they do actually know what was wrong but didnt want to admit they didnt diagnose properly the first time - Im starting to think that may be the case. I cannot imagine any dealer I know ordering such a pricey part without being fairly certain.