Golf mk2 GTD rev counter problems - dieselfreak
My 1991 Golf Mk2 GTD (1600cc Turbo Diesel) has rev counter, when I accelerate the counter drops to Zero, and will not go over 5ooo which is the tick over, regardless of what I do, the other day the battery was flat although the car is used every day. No warning lights were illuminated on the dash.

Can anyone tell me how the rev counter works ?

Is it linked to an electrical fault

Feels like the battery isnt getting enough charge

Car runs great otherwise

Any help gratefully recieved
electrical genius needed for diesel - Screwloose
dieselfreak

The two faults could well be connected. Haven't checked, but the rev-counter is probably driven off one of the alternator's phases and it sounds as though the alt itself is failing.

Have you got a basic multimeter?
electrical genius needed for diesel - dieselfreak

Thanks for the reply

Yes, bought a multimeter but have never used it in anger ..........
electrical genius needed for diesel - Screwloose
dieselfreak

If it needs it; set it to an appropriate DC voltage scale, insert the cables where required and connect it across the battery - red to positive. Start the engine and turn the heater blower full on; also the HRW and the headlights - nothing else.

Rev it up to about 1500 revs and you should see over 13.6 volts on the readout. If not; switch off and see if the drive pulley for the alternator is really hot. If it is; tighten the fan belt and re-test.

Come back with the results.
electrical genius needed for diesel - dieselfreak
Screwloose, sorry i did not get back to you, problem solved in a way, saturday afternoon Alternator packed up all together - battery lights on- rev counter dead as a dodo. Going in today for fixing. Thanks for trying to help - much appreciated