have to sell a car quickly - mal
I need to sell my Father in law,s old car seeing as he has passed away and we are sorting out M-in-law's affairs.
It is an R reg fiesta 1.6 Ghia. not sure how many miles, it will not be above average and it has slight collision damage on the hatch. a years mot and taxed till October.
I am going to move it up to my place rather than have strangers coming to her house. I need to sell it quicky but without giving it away.
Any ideas on price, or how to sell, I have never sold a car privately exept to friends I know nothing about auctions but there is one near where she lives on Tyneside.

Regards Mal
have to sell a car quickly - local yokel
You'll get a better price on Ebay than any public auction site, but I expect you'll need the V5 in your name to sell it in either case. You might be best advised checking with DVLA on how to do this, and clearing it with the solicitor at the same time, as the car forms part of his estate.

It's the kind of car that would sell pretty well in the local paper in a Friday edition. Depending on the extent of the damage I'd guess it's worth asking £800 and taking £725 to shift it quickly.
Thanks for putting me straight on that one, correct, it is not my car to sell, and the question remains how to sell when the owner is deceased. Hopefully someone will answer that one , failing that will ring DVLC in the morning.
The whole of the assets have passed over to M-in-law, they were not wealthy.
It has not been easy sorting things out!!!.
have to sell a car quickly - stunorthants26
Firstly, who the car is registered to does not necessarily own the car - the V5 is about responsibility for the vehicle, not ownership. As such, if you have the permission of the legal owner, you can register it in your name.

You say you are sorting out the mother in laws affairs - im presuming this means she is alive and therefore unless there is a will saying otherwise, all of the estate will go to her eventually ( aside from the governments cut if its above a certain value ).

I would advise waiting until you MIL has control over the estate before you sell the car from a legal point of view.

As far as registration goes, when my grandfather died and my nan 'gave' the car to my father, she simply signed the V5 herself despite it being in my grandfathers name and the new V5 came through as normal.
have to sell a car quickly - Galaxy
The DVLA will tell you that you have to register the car in your name before you can sell it. They will ask you to write to them explaining the situation, if you were to enclose a copy of the Death Certificate with your letter then that would probably help, though I didn't myself when I was recently in this unfortunate situation with my late father's estate, I just wrote a letter. Also enclose the completed V5 with your details filled in as the new owner. However, you must absolutely NOT sign the section relating to the previous owner, who is, clearly, sadly no longer with us. Just leave this section uncompleted, the DVLA will accept a V5 in this form with your covering letter.

You should certainly inform the solicitor who is dealing with his affairs as the car definitely forms part of the estate.
We did inform the solicitor who drew up their wills of his death and he said that is ok he would just make a note of it, he did not menton about reading the will. But to keep things tickety boo I will gve him a ring.
have to sell a car quickly - Sprice
Worth £500 - £600 without actually seeing it (these things usually have rust somewhere, under the petrol flap, arches etc), and the fact its a 1.6 might put some off (over the 1549 cc threshold for cheaper road tax).
Cheers.