Giving away a UK car abroad? - local yokel
We've been given a 93 Favorit! It's not in bad condition, and it came with an envelope stuffed full of bills for work and parts, so it's clearly been a burden to its former owners. We have enough cars here already, that are far more reliable than it seems to have been, so I though of a plan.

I'd like to do a relaxed road trip across Europe, ending up in Croatia/Hungary/Romania direction, taking in France, Italy, perhaps Austria, Slovenia etc. No more than 3 hours driving each day, stopping off for lunch, see the market/castle etc. May would be a good time. I appreciate that a Favorit might not be the conveyance of choice, but as the title suggests, I'd like to leave the car at the end of the trip and fly back with Stelios/other cheapy airline.

How difficult would it be to give the car way do you think, or is the red tape so thick and tight abroad that it would really only be possible to drive it to a scrappy?
Giving away a UK car abroad? - T Lucas
About as difficult as giving a starving man a dinner.
Giving away a UK car abroad? - jc2
Park it at the airport with the keys in it.
Giving away a UK car abroad? - GroovyMucker
Could I suggest you give it to a particular charity/charity worker? That way, you stand a better chance of there being no backwash involving you. There are probably plenty you could easily find who are working where you're thinking of going. I'll assist if you want to contact me direct (with suggestions rather than contacts).

Nice idea, anyway!

--
Stevie
Lakland 44-02 Sunburst
Yamaha YTS-23
Giving away a UK car abroad? - mare
How about slightly altering your trip to end in Czech Rep or Slovakia? It is a Skoda after all.
Giving away a UK car abroad? - Big Bad Dave
"How difficult would it be to give the car way do you think, or is the red tape so thick and tight abroad"

I've done this in Poland and it was easy peasy. Just fill in the "exported" section in your log book thingy. You're home and dry. The recipient will have some trips to council offices to sort and maybe some import tax to pay and maybe the headache of a LHD conversion but they're his probs, not yours.
Giving away a UK car abroad? - Simon
When you get to your final destination why not put a sign in the window and sell it for a pound (or the equivalent of wherever you are). I'm sure somebody would take up your offer and then just make out a receipt etc, and when you get back send your log book off as exported etc. It would be up to the new owner to get it legally registered in his home country.

Failing that, do a bit of research before you go and see if you can weigh it in at a scrap yard or breakers yaard before you leave.
Giving away a UK car abroad? - pmh
Whilst you may be able to give it away (legally) in a (an????) EU country I would be a little wary if you venture further abroad. Particularly to Russia or other ex Eastern Bloc countries. Historically even countries like Greece and Turkey (only 28 yrs ago when I drove there via Bulgaria) had import duties payable in the event that you did not export your vehicle (it was recorded in your passport, to prevent you leaving without the vehicle). It also certainly applied to France and Germany only 40 years ago. I believe that this sort of rule will still apply in developing economies including some North African countries, the Middle East, India and places further East.
I am assuming NZ and Australia are to ambitious.

Have a look at
www.ita.doc.gov/td/auto/international/importreq/TB...f

These regs may be different for a car of EU origin.
--

pmh (was peter)

Romania and Bulgaria join the EU tomorrow, but so far I have two ideas. Option 1 is to drive through France, Italy to Slovenia and fly back from Split or Dubrovnik, and the other is to drive from Calais anti-clockwise round the Channel/Atlantic/Med coast as far as Nice or maybe into N Italy.

Option 2 is winning as a) I speak half decent French and Spanish, and 2) I love seafood and so does Mrs LY.
Giving away a UK car abroad? - Big Bad Dave
Wind up in Warsaw and I'll help you get rid of it
Giving away a UK car abroad? - Vincent de Marco
Wouldn't "park it & flee" be the easiest option in this case ?
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western economy.
Park it and flee not such a good option now that HMG is sharing details with other govts. I could be liable for some huge parking fines ....

I might ask around some people I know with villas in Spain - they might fancy a car for the summer on UK plates and then they can deal with it when they want rid.