What are the odds? - Tim Hardingham
Went to Tesco last night. Got back to the car, used the remote to unlock my 1997 R Mondeo, heard the distinctive unlocking sound from ANOTHER M plate Mondeo three bays along as well as mine! Can't be, I thought. Walked over to it, tried again - yep - my remote consistently unlocked and relocked both cars. Then I realised that if I just unlocked my car and drove off that would unlock his as well - can't even begin to think what happens in insurance claims should his car get stolen in those circumstances. So I drove 200 yards away, parked up, walked back, and relocked his car for him. So, what is going on? Thought the point was that there were gadzillions of ever changing combinations? I hope the poor bloke didn't get back to find his car refusing to open for his own remote! Wonder if the key would have started it...
Re: What are the odds? - Ian Aspinall
I remember rumours when the Mark 4 Cortina was a current model that there were only half-a-dozen different locks used on it, so there was a 1 in 6 chance that your key would let you unlock and drive away any other Cortina you came across. Good to see Ford keeping up their traditions!
Re: What are the odds? - Tim Hardingham
Come to think of it - and I haven't for many years - my first car was a Morris Minor. Parked it up one day, did my shopping, came back, got in, and spent some minutes thinking "how the heck did that box of tissues get on the dashboard like that...." before then thinking "wait a minute!This isn't my car at all!". Mine was parked fifty yards up the road.
Re: What are the odds? - richard turpin
Back in 1968 i lent my Beetle to a friend to go and collect someone from the station next morning. I warned him that it always required a push to start first thing, but was OK after that.
I saw him again next morning (lunch time I think) and he said that the car had started first time, but that the key had been ok in the door but sticky in the ignition. I asked him... and he pointed to a different Beetle from the flat window. I never told the owner of the other Beetle.