OBDII or What - VW Golf mk3 - Peter D
I tried to talk to my sons MK3 Golf 2002 with my OBDII to usb cable and Laptop but it failed to recognise the car and OBDII. Is thidue to the car being Canbus or am I missing something The Vagcom SW is release 4091us. Regards Peter

{Typo, Re Mk3 and not a Mk4 amended - DD}
OBDII or What - LeePower
Tried it with the ignition switched on?

I known PSA stuff wont talk unless the ignition has been switched on so the immobiliser unlocks the ECU & then its happy, maybe your Golf is the same?
OBDII or What - Screwloose
Peter

A Mk4 golf isn't OBD II. That's a US-only designation that's bandied-about by those who don't know the difference. It will be EOBD compliant; you should check with your VAG-COM supplier that that particular version will communicate with late Golfs.

If you're using an e-bay interface - you're on your own mate....
OBDII or What - Peter D
Ok for a MK II then but not EOBD MK IV. Thanks Screwloose, it was a long shot. Regards Peter
OBDII or What - jc2
Only St. III or IV emission vehicles have to be Eobd compliant;previous level vehicles may have been partially compliant but there was no legal requirement.
OBDII or What - Peter D
Sorry for Typo MkIII not II. Regards Peter {Typo in subject header and wording in first post amended - DD}
OBDII or What - Kevin
>That's a US-only designation that's bandied-about by those who don't know the difference.

EOBD was based on OBDII.

Kevin...
OBDII or What - Screwloose
Kevin

True; they share some of the same protocols. However; if you buy an over-hyped "OBD-II" scantool on flea-bay, you've no idea if it will work with the vehicle you need it for. Most pre-2001 cars need a manufacturer, or even system, specific scantool - and even then you get some that just won't talk. Diesels are even later.

IIRC, the only UK-spec car that ever needed OBD-II readers was one of the mid-nineties Volvos.
OBDII or What - jc2
Some diagnostics are carried out with ignition off and some with ignition on but I'm talking diagnostics prior to Eobd.