Vauxhall Meriva diesel - fan noise - gbn
Hi,

I have a Meriva 1.7 CDTi (diesel common rail).

When cold, often there is a "blowing" or fan noise from the engine bay, at the nearside front.
It's quite loud.

I put it down to the air intake at first, but I've worked out that is not it.
The odd thing is it persists after I switch the ignition off for a few seconds upto 2 minutes.

It isn't the radiator fans. It seems unrelated to engine speed, aircon setting etc

Probably normal, but I like to know these things...

Thanks in advance
Vauxhall Meriva diesel - fan noise - Dynamic Dave
Had this been a petrol engine, I would have said the noise was the secondary Air Injection system that aids engine warm up, but I'm not sure if one is fitted to the diesel engines?
Vauxhall Meriva diesel - fan noise - sine
I don't know if these cars are equiped with one but it Maybe a fuel burning Auxiliary Heater (either to directly heat the cabin or indirectly through the engine coolant). You might be able to smell it or see smoke from its exhaust if this is the case.
Thanks.

I can't find information on such a 2ndary device.
There is no Haynes manual yet, and I'm not taking a punt on ebay for a "workshop manual"

I'll check the exhaust - but I don't have the heating up that much and I feel no heat coming in.
Vauxhall Meriva diesel - fan noise - sine
Sorry, i didn't explain the auxiliary heater very well. The heater exhaust will not be connected to the engine exhaust.

Rich 9-3 gives a good description of it here, although it is for the 9-3 but with both cars being GM yours may operate in a similar way.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=36...2

I'm not sure if a diesel would have the secondary air injection either.

Ah ha. Thanks.

I'll investigate further.

I'm not in the UK (Brit ex-pat), but where I am is colder.
Vauxhall Meriva diesel - fan noise - anthonyant

I have a mariva b 61 reg 1.7cdti 35000 miles an a noise which getts louder with speed

Vauxhall Meriva diesel - fan noise - Fiesta-Ranger

Check heater motor, maybe on it's way out.