can a car door unlock itself? - tyro
Ford Ka. Base model. Not remote or central locking.

Two or three times in the past few months I've found the passenger door of our Ford Ka unlocked. The obvious answer is that someone failed to lock it. And I'm 99% sure that is the case.

But there is a nagging doubt, because it has not happened on our other car, and it never used to happen.

So - I know this sounds completely daft - but is there any way that the car door could be unlocking itself?
can a car door unlock itself? - rustbucket
The only car I drove that did this was a pug306, but that DID have central locking.As a matter of interest it was a faulty door lock mechanism found by thumping the door lock area with the palm of my hand.It was very unerving returning to the car and finding it unlocked.
--
rustbucket (the original)
can a car door unlock itself? - L'escargot
So - I know this sounds completely daft - but is
there any way that the car door could be unlocking
itself?

One of Santa's (or whoever's) fairies trapped between the door and the trim panel trying to get out?
--
L\'escargot.
can a car door unlock itself? - yorkiebar
If its not central/remote locking then the lock is a mechanical item and cannot just open by itself.

However they are not the most secure locks and if well worn a good tap in the right place or a worn key may just be able to open it up. It could happen as such when driving (bumps in the road) but cant see it happening when parked unless someone has been to the car.
can a car door unlock itself? - Billsboy
Don't know if this might be the case here but many years ago I had a Vauxhall Carlton Company car which kept unlocking itself. I too thought I was getting absent minded until one day I locked the car at my office and stopped to talk to a colleague. After a few minutes stood by the car, we heard it unlock.

After a lot of investigations, the Dealer replaced a faulty switch which I think they referred to as an Inertia Switch. Apparently this was a safety device which unlocked the car if you were driving with the doors locked and you are involved in accident, thus allowing rescuers to open the doors.

can a car door unlock itself? - Simon
The chances are that it someone failed to lock it. As it has no central locking, it is just a mechanical lock and unlikely to unlock itself on its own. I would make try to make sure that it is locked everytime you leave the vehicle and I bet the problem goes away.