Almera rear brakes - Mchenry
2000 Turbo Diesel

After my wife reported that ominous grinding sound, I bought a set of pads and tried to fit them last night - a half-hour job I thought.
The problem was when I tried to push the pistons back into the calipers. On any other car I've tried, pressure from both thumbs has been enough, sometimes with a bit of help from tyre lever/large screwdriver. It proved impossible to move the pistons back and I suspected that something in the ABS could be acting as a non-return valve so I opened the bleed screw on the caliper. They still wouldn't move. Both sides of the car were the same. Question: am I missing something or do I force (try to force?) the pistons back using a large G-cramp between the piston face and the back of the caliper?
Almera rear brakes - RichardW
If the handbrake works directly on the main calipers, then it's possible you need to screw the calipers back in rather than just pushing them. The give away for this is usually slots in the face of the piston to allow you get a tool in to turn them. Trouble is, some cars are handed (eg the C5) so you need to make sure you turn the right way!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....