I Have A Question - Volume 162 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 163 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. They now go in another thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 162. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Domain names - Mapmaker
>>when you have bought the domain you configure it to point to whatever webspace you have available.

Presumably if one uses something like 123, then that happens automatically. Are 123 sufficiently non-shockingly awful that they would be generally recommended?

Oh yes, and if one were to buy the .com domain as well as the .co.uk, presumably one (or the other) would merely be a forwarding site, so would it be sensible (or not) to go for the cheapest for the non-hosting site.

Thanks all.
Domain names - adverse camber
if you are getting the web hosting as well as the domain name from the same supplier then I suppose they will set it up for you. the economics of domain names is such that they will provide you with access to a control panel which allows you to configure it yourself. the costs dont cover them having a real person do it.
123-reg are reliable in my experience. Im told that 1&1 have a t&c that you need to actually read before using them - there are some things which are not so great (never used them so that is hearsay)

>>if one were to buy the .com domain as well as the .co.uk, presumably one (or the other) would merely be a forwarding site, so would it be sensible (or not) to go for the cheapest for the non-hosting site

If the second domain was to be forwarded then it wouldnt need any hosting, just domain name redirection so that it points to the same place as the hosted site. the cost differentials for domain names are generally very small.

depending on your web server you can set things up differently. If you get an IP address of your own then just set the dns to point to the ip address. If you have a supplier using virtual hosts then they need to configure the server to accept requests for that name. If you get a url then framed redirects to that url.

basic mobile phone that works in USA - tyro
I'm looking for a basic mobile telephone - no bells, whistles, cameras, etc required - something pretty cheap. Obvious choice would be something like a Nokia 3310 (yes, that basic!). But I would like something that will work in the USA. Any ideas?
basic mobile phone that works in USA - Dynamic Dave
No idea of cost, but how about something like a Nokia 2610?
basic mobile phone that works in USA - Stuartli
A Nokia 3120 is a basic tri-band mobile phone; others include the Seimens A62, A65 and AF51 and Sagem VS4
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Thanks, gentlemen. I am, again, indebted to you.
basic mobile phone that works in USA - Dulwich Estate
I have had a Nokia 3120 for maybe nearly 2 years (?). It's basic, no camera, very small but not too small for texting, pretty idiot proof (I can work it) and I've used it in USA.

Battery lasts well over a week on standby with a few daily calls.

Does what it says on the tin - excellent.
pretty idiot proof

That's clearly the one for me! Thanks
Planning Application - appeal ? - Pezzer
Just had a planning application rejected by the local council planning dept. Due to the shallow pitch of the roof we were looking to raise the roofline by 1.7m to create additional space in the attic. Have had a meeting with the Planning officer who has advised that we are able to appeal although he didnt believe there was much prospect of success.
There were no objections from any of our neighbors and he mentioned that we may wish to consider using a Planning Agent.
My question is: does anybody have any experience of using one, are they worth it ? Also if anybody can offer general advice/comment on submitting an appeal I'd be grateful.

Thanks P
Planning Application - appeal ? - adverse camber
most planning agents seem to be ex-planning officers, so know their way around the various rules. The ones I have come across have been very good, although I have also heard of some terrible experiences (leading people to believe that something could go through, charging loads etc when there was never a chance in hell)

Your council should have the rules which apply to the area you live in on their website. Otherwise a general set of guidance is on the odpm site.
In general things that impact on the appearance from the street are more difficult than things at the back.
Anything that makes the house out of keeping with the surrounding environment is also difficult.
You dont say what your environment is like, are you in a conservation area , near listed buildiungs or anything?

tbh raising the house by 5 feet has very little chance of success - One of the rules in our are is that nothing is allowed to protrude above the existing roofline.
Planning Application - appeal ? - rustbucket
Due to the shallow pitch of the roof we were looking to raise the roofline by 1.7m to create additional space in the attic.

Why is the pitch too shallow?? is it out of keeping with surrounding properties?too shallow for the type of tile / slate covering ?do tell us more the inspector must have told you the reason in detail.

--
rustbucket (the original)
Planning Application - appeal ? - Robbie
I had to alter the roof of an extension as the pitch was too shallow. The alternative was to reduce the length of the extension in order to increase the pitch. I decided to have an apex roof to meet the requirements.

This was done before the application was submitted on the advice of the builder. Obviously, this involved additional expense.

There is little point in appealing as you have contravened the Building Regulations. Your local authority planning officers should be able to advise you. The one I dealt with was very helpful.
Planning Application - appeal ? - Group B
I know a couple of people who have used Planning Consultants in the past, and AFAIK they were cost effective. One of them got a scheme passed which the planners were not at all happy with. The second gave very good advice to a friend of mine (advised them that they would be better compromising on their extension, as they had slim chance of a successful appeal) and did not charge for his services, admittedly he only made a dozen phone calls. If you try to find a small local outfit you may be able to get some initial advice for little or no money as to the feasibility of the scheme. Try to get a word-of-mouth recommendation of a good consultant.

www.rtpiconsultants.co.uk/selectaconsultant.php

I have not been involved in submitting an appeal; the advice I have heard in the past (via the friend mentioned above) if possible revise the scheme and re-submit it rather than appeal. This obviously depends on the specifics of the scheme, and the area you live in, so is difficult to comment here.
The appeal is to the Secretary of State and I have heard stories of the process taking at least a year and you are obviously not garuanteed a favourable outcome. If your proposed alterations contavene the Local Plan and Guidelines for your area its probably unlikely that the Sec. of State will overrule this.

I would second what A.C. says, raising the ridge by 1.7m is a large increase and could be a definite no-no. If you have adjacent properties of similar style/ appearance to yours, the planners do not want one of them 5 foot higher than the rest. Again it depends on your area, but they are usually happy with extensions on the sides/ back/ front of the house, but the ridge height cannot be raised.

Are you converting a loft to a room-in-roof? Does your proposed extension have a dormer on it? A flat roof dormer does not look particularly pretty but can give good headroom, and can be "hidden" on the back of the house.. Would the planners accept a 1 or 2 foot increase in height?

Good luck with it,
Rich.
Planning Application - appeal ? - Pezzer
"ac - raising the house by 5 feet has very little chance of success" - I fear you may be right, but its good to hear it from someone else.

"rustbucket - "Why is the pitch too shallow??" - IE the existing attic space is not high enough to accommodate a new room(s).

Rich 9-3 - many thanks, as above there is not enough height to make dormers practical, also a side extension is less 'in keeping' with the development and would be less acceptable to our neighbor who we are keen to keep on-side. I have deliberately not gone into details of the site but the height change has no impact on anybody around as witnessed by the lack of objections and in fact keeps the look of the development better than a side extension would (imho !!). PS we have drawn up plans for an extension on the side and were not happy with the results.

Thanks to all.

Cheap B&B London - Big Bad Dave
A friend is on a business trip and needs a cheap B&B / hotel in London.

Any ideas? He has meetings in White City and Richmond.

Shepherds Bush? I know there are some on Shepherds Bush Road / Brook Green but dunno how to get numbers

Many thanks
Cheap B&B London - local yokel
www.smoothhound.co.uk/richmond.html may help
Cheap B&B London - Armitage Shanks {p}
Try www.laterooms.com - they have some very keen prices on, as the name implies, late bookings
Cheap B&B London - Mapmaker
www.driscollhotel.co.uk/

don't know how cheap/basic you fancy, but this place is £30 per night incl breakfast and dinner!!, and is in zone 1 (near L'Éléphant et Chateau so far from glamorous). No en suites.

Cheaper still (fully of Aussie backpackers, I am led to believe)- yet even more central (SE1 is grrrrrrrrreat!) is www.dovercastlehostel.com/
Cheap B&B London - tyro
Mapmaker - have you actually stayed at the Driscoll?
Flat roof insurance clause - artful dodger {P}
Today I was trying a new insurance company for a quote for my business insurance. I hit a big snag.

Part of the roof is flat and covered with lead. The underwriter is insisting on their flat roof clause that the flat roof must be inspected anually by a qualified builder or roofer.

I can undestand this if the roof was a felt covered flat roof, but not for lead. My thoughts are this roof should last 50 to 100 years without any problems (it's 10 years old at present). I could abide by a 10 year inspection, but not a yearly one, so I declined their insurance on this point alone.

Can anyone explain how a lead roof can deteriorate over a short period of time.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Flat roof insurance clause - helicopter
I see your point Roger , why did you not just ask the insurer question?

Whilst lead is better for flat roofing than felt as it is less liable to damage it is still is laid in strips and the seams can be a source of water ingress if incorrectly laid .

Also lead is very nickable and you may find that your insurers are worried about the risk of theft and consequent damage, eg flooding as a result of you not noticing the theft until the rain comes in.... .

I had a chat with my company insurance broker . I'm busy arranging my company cover for 2007 as well.

He advised that lead can have a tendency to crack , also water can get through our around apparently sound joints or flashing by capillary action and any flat roof can be damaged just by people walking on it .

What you have to remember also is that where lead flashings are pointed into brickwork it may be the pointing and not the lead that deteriorates allowing water ingress.

I see from your profile that you run a gallery - I would think that the last thing you or they would want is any chance of water damage.

Flat roof insurance clause - Stuartli
We had to have the lead flashings renewed on part of one of the chimneys last year because the lead had been damaged by the sun during a period of extremely warm weather.

Discovered eventually when water began coming in through a bedroom ceiling; the water was running down a joist and dripping onto the area over the bedroom.
Flat roof insurance clause - Baskerville
We had to have the lead flashings renewed on part
of one of the chimneys last year because the lead had
been damaged by the sun during a period of extremely warm
weather.

More likely the mortar had crumbled away leaving a gap around the flashing. The melting point of lead is way too high for the sun to do much damage at this distance, even in sunny Southport, but nitric acid in rainwater may have helped the corrosion along.
Flat roof insurance clause - Group B
Roger, I could understand a requirement for an initial inspection to check roof condition and quality of workmanship, and decide from there. Are there other insurers you could try?
I have seen cracked lead flashings bodged up with bitumen paint or flashband, but I've not been on many lead sheet roofs.

This site has info. on leadwork and potential problems :
www.eastherts.gov.uk/guidnote/rainwater_goods/lead...m

"... premature failures of sheet lead in all situations are almost always due to oversizing and consequent thermal fatigue and stress failure (caused by the high coefficient of linear expansion of lead) and consequent buckling, creasing, ridging up and rippling and ultimately cracking and tearing, and incorrectly specified over fixing, that restricts or prevents thermal movement - expansion and contraction...
...The general principle is the thinner the lead - the smaller the piece..."

Thank you for all your replies. I have decided to stay with my existing insurers as they do not have any problem with the relatively small amount of flat roof.

It appears that the insurance company have a blanket rule on any flat roof, irrespective of its construction. It appears that this rule also applies to a fibreglass covered roof, again another long life covering. Purely because of their condition of having the roof inspected annually (by a qualified builder or roofer - whatever they are!). The person who told me about this condition even put me on hold to have a word with their underwriter, but still insisted on their flat roof condition. I decided it was too onerous and declined to listen to any further conditions or find out what their quote was. As they say, there are plenty of other businesses out there wanting my insurance.

I do not know if it is just me, but I am finding insurance companies, in general, are now frequently asking for independant testing or certification on a wide range of items. What they are now insisting on as having to be independantly tested and maintained as a condition for insurance is now costing almost as much as their premium.

One company insisted on my compressor (used for about 2 hours per week) to be pressure tested annually at a cost of £185. However I could buy a new one for £400 and this would not need testing until 2 years old. The strange thing is my compressor tank has a British Standard wall thickness of 5mm, but the current Euro Standard only has 3mm wall thickness. Also I researched the number of people killed in the UK by compressors exploding - it has averaged just 4 people per year. When you consider the number of businesses have compressors, this is an incredibly small incidence. These figuers also include compressors that have been abused, damaged and bodged to keep them going. Personally I think this is a very good safety record for compressor manufacturers. Talk about insurance companies protecting their interest, rather than assessing the risk.

At the end of the day I still do not know how good my current insurers will be in the even of a claim. It has been over 12 years since I made a claim with another insurer (when a water pipe joint gave out in a hot summer), and that claim was handled very smoothly.

--
Roger
>>More likely the mortar had crumbled away leaving a gap around the flashing.>>

No, it was the lead (replaced a while back for some reason or other) which had apparently contracted and expanded. The mortar was fine and, in fact, the slate roof was completely relaid a few years ago and new felt put in underneath.

The reason this had to be done was purely because, after more than 100 years, the nails were on their last legs. The slates were reused and only the nails and felt renewed in the traditional Victorian manner.

They don't build houses today like they used to do....:-)
They don't build houses today like they used to do....:-)

I believe there was a "golden age" between about 1920 and 1950 when the timber used was still fully seasoned old growth, they used proper Rosemary tiles and had damp proofing, proper foundations, and cavity walls.
After the erection of the late 19th Century properties in my town some of the streets in my area, where many of the houses were built in the 1920s and 1930s, contain properties that reveal imaginative use of designs and styles along with first class build quality.

Incidentally my Victoria property has cavity walls, which surprised a cavity wall insulation firm's representative after our energy supply company agreed to do the work FOC under a Government scheme...:-)
Flat roof insurance clause - henry k
>> They don't build houses today like they used to do....:-)
I believe there was a "golden age" between about 1920 and 1950 ....., proper foundations, and cavity walls.

I have heard that said but not by me about my 1930s house.
Absolutely awful workmanship everywhere and solid walls except for one area of external wall which is single brick. Soil pipe wrong X 2, no roof lining etc. etc.
Just to make things worse I think they used concrete under the plaster so it is hell to fix anything on most of the walls.

>> >> They don't build houses today like they used to
do....:-)
>>
>> I believe there was a "golden age" between about 1920
and 1950 ....., proper foundations, and cavity walls.
>>
I have heard that said but not by me about my
1930s house.

No doubt there are bad ones, probably bad batches made by a single builder, but I think it stands as a generalisation: modern design with old-fashioned attitudes to weight of materials. My own 1930s house is built well where it needs to be, but they seem to have made a sharp distinction between "habitable" rooms (the kitchen) and "non-habitable" (the scullery) in terms of build quality. And it has a small lead roof too, still original and still watertight. I'd be annoyed if my insurer started demanding inspections.
We had to have the lead flashings renewed on part of one of the chimneys last year because the lead had
been damaged by the sun during a period of extremely warm weather.

My neighbour is a roofer with a lot of experience.
He advised me that a lead roof should be regularly treated with a paint specifically formulated for lead roofs in order to protect them from the sun.
>>My neighbour is a roofer with a lot of experience.
He advised me that a lead roof should be regularly treated with a paint specifically formulated for lead roofs in order to protect them from the sun.

I have tried searching with Google and cannot find anything about a paint for lead roofing. The nearest thing I could find with anything about checking a flat roof and the expected life of lead was:
tinyurl.com/y8y7w7
Personally I believe this is a scaremongering claim, similar to asbestos cement.

The only technical document I found relating to the life expectancy of lead sheet was by Ben Travers, chairman of European Lead Sheet Industry Association.
tinyurl.com/t2tyr
?Correctly fitted lead sheet requires zero maintenance over its lifetime and can truly be used as a ?fit and forget? material, until the building is demolished.?

I rest my case, the insurance company did not know what it was talking about..

--
Roger
>>Personally I believe this is a scaremongering claim, similar to asbestos cement.
I will try and ask him about it.
He has just recently completed a lead roof on his extension and it certainly has a finish on it..
>>He has just recently completed a lead roof on his extension and it certainly has a finish on it..

Who would you prefer to believe, your neighbour in roofing or the Chairman of the European Lead Sheet Industry Association.

No doubt some company has devised a finish that can be applied to a lead roof, but that does not mean it has to be used. The finish might be to give the lead a distinctive decorative look. It is strange I could find nothing in my Google search.

--
Roger
The neighbour who does the job every time Roger

The Chairman isn't going to 'do a Ratner' and say his material that he is selling is rubbish is he?
Been doing a bit of Googling as well and it seems that "lead" flashings can be lead, copper or zinc and that protective paints and coverings are, in fact, available.

See:

tinyurl.com/wyns4

tinyurl.com/vsb7b (see page 12)

>>He advised me that a lead roof should be regularly treated with a paint specifically formulated for lead roofs in order to protect them from the sun.>>

That's interesting. Unfortunately the roofer who did my work (and that of a neighbour), who I've known since school days, sadly passed away at a comparatively young age a few weeks ago, so I can't raise the subject with him.

When you find good workmen, or women come to that, it's hard to find someone equally as proficient and reliable.

My next door neighbour, for instance, is a Corgi registered plumber and heating "specialist".

I wouldn't let him within a mile of anything in my house, if you'll pardon the obvious mistake...:-)
Flat roof insurance clause - wemyss
Being a Plumber in a former life I can confirm that lead will last indefinitely on a flat roof with a few provisos.
The method of jointing is crucial.
There are only two in my experience. One is lead burning which is simply welding together and was a trade in itself at one period when tanks were made in lead, and ornamental work was carried out particularly on Churches and sometimes coffins were lined with lead. This is carried out with a mini Oxy-acetylene torch with tiny nozzles. One of the most important rules is that the welding stick which is simply a cut off strip from the lead sheet and shave hooked clean is taken from the actual lead which is being laid on the roof. This is to ensure that expansion and contraction is exactly the same as the sheet.
I have seen work where they have used lead solder joints used as if they were wiping a joint. This will always crack due to the above.
The second method is double lock welts usually on raised strips of timber and this is an excellent method also. I know of no other methods.
The weight of sheet lead used varies for its use. If I recall correctly it used to be 5lb lead for flashings and 4lb for soakers which are pieces alongside the chimney which go under the actual flashings and under the tiles.
However I do remember in the late 50s helping in the removal of the lead roof which would have been there a couple of hundred years. The lead was according to my Boss 14lb lead and the value of it as scrap paid for its replacement in nural aluminium which again was done in double lock welts. Terrible stuff to work with? and again according to my Boss the only previous roof done in this material was Granby Hall in Leicester.
I?ve never heard before of the sun affecting lead and never heard of a finish on lead. When its new and is first put down it does shine brightly but like any other metal it oxidises with the weather and soon has a grey dusty appearance..
>>never heard of a finish on lead>>

It seems you can get lead sheet with a finish/coating.
Flat roof insurance clause - Group B
When I used to work on site we were once about to demolish a big old factory. The roof had old glass rooflights for the top 12 foot of the roof, with lead sheet covering the ridge. We were going to have to erect a big scaffold to safely remove the lead and glass; but the weekend before, gypsies got on site and stole all the lead off the roof. How they managed to get a ton of lead off without someone falling through the glazed section must have been more luck than judgement!

I've got a photo somewhere (cant find it) taken by a steeplejack half way up the spire of St Marys Church in Chesterfield (the "Crooked Spire"). The spire is covered in lead sheet (32 tons of it) in a herringbone pattern and the photo shows a craftsmans name burned into the lead and a date of around 1850 or something...
Flat roof insurance clause - wemyss
Very interesting that Rich.. The crooked spire is still standing then. I recall there was some talk about its safety some years ago. And whatever happened to that competition for the best plan to save the leaning tower of Piza some years ago.
The place I referred to was Alderwasley Hall near Whatstandwell, Cromford and not far from yourself.
Just had a look on Google and its now a special needs school. Looks a lot different now and may have a new roof on again. When I was there it was a Catholic school. The teachers were all Priests who had to be referred to as father by ourselves and the children came from all over the world.
The kitchen staff who used to make our brew up were all Southern Italian peasant type girls without a word of English.
We got the old lead down from the roof by chucking it over the parapet in sections and then straight to the scrap yard.
Flat roof insurance clause - nick
If the correct quality of lead is used, a flat roof should last 90-100 years. No need for any coatings of any kind. 'Flat roof' is actually a misnomer, it should have a very slight fall.
Flat roof insurance clause - Mapmaker
Lead roofing does not have an indefinite life, but it does have a very long one; a century at least before it begins to require attention.

Lead, as we know, is a very soft material. The interatomic bonding is weak, so it is easy to get the various atoms of lead to move relative to each other. It's very easy to bend or otherwise mechanically deform (there's that word again - see other thread) by hand. If we can do it by hand, then gravity can do the same thing. Lead suffers from a phenomenon called 'creep', which is the movement of lead atoms under a force. Gravity is a particularly noticeable such force. If you look at a sheet of lead cladding that has been on the side of a building for a century or three, it will be considerably thicker at the bottom than at the top.

In time, your lead sheet will creep off the roof - just like golden syrup. Like most chemical/physical activity this happens more quickly when the lead is warmed up - so worse on the south side of a building than the north.

A further problem of lead is - as previously mentioned - its thermal response. Moreover, compared to copper, lead sheeting is much thicker, so for a constant %age expansion, the linear expansion will be greater for the thicker sheets of lead than the thinner sheets of copper.

Interestingly, I too have heard that the scrap value of an old roof will pay for a new one. What I had heard, however, was that lead, gold and silver are commonly found within the same ores. Georgian and Victorian refining techniques were relatively poor, so that a significant quantity of precious metals remains within the old lead on buildings. Take the lead off, take out the gold, put the lead back. Make a profit.
Flat roof insurance clause - Number_Cruncher
Moreover, compared to copper, lead sheeting is much thicker, so for a constant %age expansion, the linear expansion will be greater for the thicker sheets of lead than the thinner sheets of copper.

I don't follow, why does the thickness affect the linear expansion?

Number_Cruncher
Mapmaker, interesting reply to this query of mine. If correctly fitted a leaded flat roof should last the life of the building. The problem areas should only be cracked joints, weak cemented flashing in points and impact damage.

However you do not state, like any other respondent, that a lead roof needs an annual inspection. I think any roof should have a periodic inspection, but as a general comment most roofs do not require an annual certified inspection, except felted flat roofs which are known to have only a short life expectancy.

I still believe this insurance company was trying to protect their own interest at the policyholders expense. This is something that is becoming ever more common and will probably come to motor insurance policies in the near future in the form of certified maintenance to manufacturers and Department of Transport/ VOSA regulations.

--
Roger
Flickering fluorescent tube - L'escargot
We have a fluorescent tube which has started flickering very slightly until it has fully warmed up. I've renewed both the tube and the starter but it still does it. Any ideas?
--
L\'escargot.
Flickering fluorescent tube - Peter D
L'escargot. When the tube has lit, remove the starter and observe, does it still flicker. Regards Peter

{moves reply to correct place in thread - DD}
Flickering fluorescent tube - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK if it flickers but does NOT light (not what you are describing) it can be a major fire risk. I mention this for others who may read this thread re lighting.
The flickering (which is only slight) goes away after ithe tube's been lit for 5 minutes or so. However, if I remove the starter when the tube's still in it's flickering phase it stops flickering immediately. Putting the starter back makes it flicker again. Then after it's warmed up the flicker disappears. What does this suggest?

(The flicker is only slight and is more of a mild annoyance than anything else.)

--
L\'escargot.
Flickering fluorescent tube - Stuartli
Could still be a faulty tube or starter.
Could still be a faulty tube or starter.

That was my first thought but I have renewed both and the symptoms remain.
--
L\'escargot.
Flickering fluorescent tube - buzbee
A fluorescent tube is a gas discharge tube which 'burns' with about 100 volts across it to generate ultraviolet light which activates the inside fluorescent coating to emit visible light. The voltage difference between the 100 volts and the mains 230 volts is absorbed by an inductive choke inside the light unit -- a winding on an iron core that only works on AC. But for the choke the tube would take far too too much current and burn out.

The starter connects the filament at each end so they glow and emit electrons so the tube gas can ionise. Once the tube is going the starter is not needed until next time.

If you have a good tube and starter, either the choke is faulty, or the choke or the wiring.

The choke winding could have faulty insulation so it does not work properly, or the connections to it are could be loose and probably fizzing, or the main wiring further back is faulty -- poor connection to the choke and faulty choke are the two most likely.

So take the cover off and check the tightness of the screws in the connectors, after switching off the mains. If they are OK try connecting a 100 watt lamp in place of the lamp unit (not just the tube) and see if that flickers. If it does not it suggests the wiring is OK and it is the choke. If it still flickers, it is in the wiring.

Check the fuse and the wire connected to it for being loose, if you are OK with doing that.
Flickering fluorescent tube - sine
Is the light outside in the cold?
The tubes in our garage tend to flicker a bit during the winter for a good 15 minutes until they warm up. Not sure whether that is normal or whether a poor quality part is the cause.
I will try removing the stater to see if it has the same effect you mentioned.
Thanks for the information buzbee. I changed the starter for a second time and it's now OK. So both the original and the first replacement starters were faulty. I needn't have changed the tube in the first place. Now I've started on it I'll check the connections inside the unit and in the wall switches just to be on the safe side ~ I don't want any problems during the Festive Season.
--
L\'escargot.
Flickering fluorescent tube - Dynamic Dave
I changed the starter for a second time and it's now OK. So both the original and the first replacement starters were faulty.

Or maybe the starter wasn't making a positive connection to the terminals, and by removing and replacing it a couple of times made a cleaner connection?

Have you another fluorescent you could try the starter in?
As far away as possible ? - Dulwich Estate
If I really wanted to get as far away as possible from the UK (South London in particular) I suppose I could ask NASA for a ride to their proposed moon base, but I'd be too old by then.

On earth, the farthest place is somewhere towards New Zealand I guess. It would be nice if it was small South Pacific island.

Exactly where is diametrically opposed to London? It's reasonably easy (but I won't try) to work out if the world was a perfect sphere but it isn't - anybody know where it is ? Anybody know the ticket price too?

As far away as possible ? - daveyjp
Google Earth takes you to a point to the south east of New Zealand. Based on Greenwich you need a point at 180 deg E and about 52 deg south.
As far away as possible ? - Gromit {P}
Look up "antipodes" on Wikipedia - there are two maps of the world superimposed so you can see the nearest antipode (i.e. exact opposite point on the face of the earth) to your home town.

For London, the nearest large chunk of dry land is the south island of New Zealand. Which is handy, as its easy to get to. An Wellington-based friend recommends flying Air New Zealand via Los Angeles for the bigger seats and to minimise jet lag at the start of your holiday (flying east disrupts the body clock more than flying west).
As far away as possible ? - Dulwich Estate
Thanks x2. I never thought of Google Earth. Being a bit old now (50+) my immediate idea was 3D maths and probably using a slide rule too!!
As far away as possible ? - daveyjp
I can see Google Earth quickly becoming a valuable tool for most of us in the not too distant future. You can now submit photos to be linked to the map, great if you are going on holiday and want to see what you can expect. Before my recent trip to Tenerife I printed off the Google earth image showing the apartment location -it was priceless when the taxi driver said he wasn't sure where the apartment block was. It also helped me find a friends house. My father uses it to print off photos of difficult road junctions to show his driving school pupils which lane they need to use and why.
As far away as possible ? - Stuartli
Google Earth is a wonderful tool and very addictive.

However, unless you live in London or some of the other big cities, where images are more up to date, don't bank too much on Google Earth...:-)

Where I live, in the North East, the "satellite" coverage is five or six years old for the town.

In fact the area around the local Tesco area, which has seen very substantial changes in recent years including a new shopping area and various new roundabouts, is still displayed by Google Earth before it probably even reached the planning stages......
As far away as possible ? - Robbie
Google Earth is a wonderful tool and very addictive.
Where I live, in the North East, the "satellite" coverage is
five or six years old for the town.
- - - - - - - - - -

I blame Sefton Council. ;) I see that Ormskirk College is moving to Newcastle.
As far away as possible ? - henry k
However, unless you live in London or some of the other big cities, where images are more up to date, don't bank too much on Google Earth...:-)

>>
Es, but there are two Concordes at Terminal 4 Heathrow so hardly up to date.
Where I live, in the North East, the "satellite" coverage is five or six years old for the town.

Where I live near Kingston, the cars shown at my property and next door were scrapped several years ago.

Updates are being made. (At least they now have the Sphinx with its name sorted. It was about a mile away previously).
As far away as possible ? - henry k
My father uses it to print off photos of difficult road junctions to show his driving school pupils
which lane they need to use and why.

>>
Try looking at Junction 1 of the M40. Oh dear Google Earth!.

or the Hatton Cross roundabout at the south east entrance to Heathrow Airport for a pretty example of mini roundabouts around the original single roundabout.
As far away as possible ? - JH
D
huh? All you have to do is go the same latitude, but in the opposite hemisphere and add 180 to your longitude. Which, as you're in London, pretty well takes you to longitude 180.
Don't get lost.
JH
As far away as possible ? - JH
D
you made me curious, I looked it up, it's... obvious when you think about it, it's,,, Antipodes Island.
JH
As far away as possible ? - PhilW
If you really want to be away from it all, try Kerguelen island. Some vague memory suggests it is the island furthest away from any other landmass.

Hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but for aerial photos (again not right up to date) have a look at
http//:local.live.com

and a good one for french territories done by French equiivalent of the OS

www.geoportail.fr/index.php?event=VisitorConnected...=
which has map of Kerguelen on it

--
Phil
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - Statistical outlier
We're just buying a house, and we need to decide whether to get a homebuyers survey done.

I'm hesitating because as far as I can see there is no comeback if they miss anything (it's not a structural survey), and I've been told by some that the survey would be unlikely to pick up on anything that you couldn't yourself by looking carefully, given it is just a visual inspection.

Is this fair? If so, what should we be looking for ourselves? I presume any sign of damp, any damage ot the roof felt or tiles, checking the wiring looks okay, no cracks on walls, bodged repairs, crumbling bricks. What else am I missing? Or would be be stupid not to pay the extra?

Cheers in advance!

Gord.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - mare
Like it or not, I think a survey will be insisted on by your mortgage provider.

And yes it is money for old rope. But the surveyor will probably see only 25-50% of the fee you pay.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - daveyjp
Cost of house six figures, cost of survey a few hundred it's a no brainer not to have one, better to let someone else identify possible risks and be open to be sued than trust yourself. OK they are full of caveats and what appear to be get out clauses, but a general practice surveyor is similar to a GP doctor. They identify problems which may require investigation by a specialist, so they aren't heating engineers, electricians, plumbers etc just as your GP doctor isn't an expert on all medical issues.

If you feel a homebuyers isn't good enough go for a full structural survey.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - adverse camber
I think there are several surveyors on here so wait to see what they say.

It might help if you give a few details about the house. Age? Type ? Detatched, semi, terrace, flat? Construction material and method, general location.

I think the housebuyers report is a waste of time/money. I have always had a full survey - not that they are always any good either. If your potential house is in any way out of the ordinary, get a surveyor who is familiar with that type of building.

Look for things like extensions, any building work carried out ? Room layouts changed, walls removed - are things supported properly? Chimneys removed ? Has it been done safely?

Damp works done ? have they made things worse (not an uncommon result of conc floors etc)

Any walls upstairs that are not supported downstairs?

Air bricks under floor level? lots of really basic obvious stuff.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - bell boy
spending money on a house and not having it properly surveyed is like buying a car with your eyes shut
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - nick
You'd be better off taking a good builder with you when you view and giving him a drink.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - Martin Devon
If you feel a homebuyers isn't good enough go for a
full structural survey.

Yes, but even "A full Structural Survey" will be seriously flawed. He won't lift floorboards. Absolutely essential in an old house with solid walls, (More so if it faces the weather), to check for rotten joist ends where they are built into the wall. An older house with the bathroom situated above the kitchen that has had the chip frying, non ventilating brigade operating will often have a rotten bathroom floor due to moisture penetrating the Kitchen ceiling. And the beauty of your £700.00. "Full Structural Survey" is that when he does find something he will advise you to seek the opinion of a Specialist. We get it all the time. Someone gets your £700.00. and then you the householder call me and say that you need a timber inspection cos matey thinks he has seen woodworm, often long gone, but of course the flight holes are still there, or he has detected damp. And the rub is the householder wants this inspection for FREE! Wants a written report and of course, me the Specialist is now responsible and sue-able for that opinion. Doesn't wash anymore. I charge and then return the fee if work to a certain value goes ahead.

Take a knowledgable friend, but don't necessarily expect them to commit to print. It's only a house and needs looking at closely by someone with common sense.

Good luck..........................MD
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - nick
Well said, MD. My thoughts exactly.
Well said, MD. My thoughts exactly.

You go look Nick and I'll 'ave the drink!

Best regards............MD.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - Mapmaker
>>or he has detected damp.

Using a moisture meter on plaster when the meter is designed for use on wood; and detecting 'rising damp' when that is an impossibility as capillary action does not wick water up through bricks.

He puts this in his report, along with the woodworm exit holes of Victorian vintage (that are in fact nail holes), the bank holds a retention on your mortgage and demands that you have your house filled with foul chemicals to cure things that doesn't require curing - or won't be cured the way they suggest anyway.

Bah.

Just like Mr Dodger's lead roof; a complete loss of perspective on risk. For the risk of one house in a thousand having £5,000 worth of worm damage - and a risk of what? 1:10,000 that the householder will default on his mortgage AND be in a negative equity situation as a consequence of the damage - the banks made 200 householders spend £5,000 on having non-existent problems solved.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - mare
Gordon

Further reading:

www.fool.co.uk/news/property-home/2006/12/15/dont-...6
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - artful dodger {P}
Some years ago someone mentioned that surveys could be described as follows.
Valuation Survey - surveyor drove by the house
Homebuyers Survey - surveyor stopped his car and got out and walked in the house
Full Survey - surveyor walked in every room of the house and tested a few basic things

When I bought my last house I had the Homebuyers Survey, a complete waste of money IMO. I doubt even a full survey would have picked up all the faults I found once we had moved in. So why did we buy the house? It was a keen price, it was the right size, it was close to our target area, and there was potential to increase value. Looking back I would still probably have bought the house with those problems for the same reasons.

My advice would be to look very closely at everything on a second visit. If the owner wishes to sell, he should have no objections to you testing anything, or lifting the corner of a carpet, poking your head into the loft, etc. All it means to them is you are a serious buyer looking for defects to possibly drive the price down. If there is nothing wrong with the house then they will not hinder you, however someone who starts being uneasy probably has something to hide. Do not forget some people will decorate to hide problems, so ask why if freshly decorated.

The final big tip is look beyond their furniture and decor, imagine what you need to do to make it your home. How much will it cost to make your desired changes, what timescale do you expect to complete any changes in, AND can you afford all of them. What ever you budget for improvements, I would always advise adding at least 50-75% extra. It is funny when SWMBO wants something for the house it will always cost far more then originally planned.

Hope this helps.

--
Roger
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - Happy Blue!
My partner and I refuse to do Homebuyers Reports. We either do valuations or Building Surveys. Would recommend a |Building Survey as they are more detailed and more likely to find 'hidden' defects. We cannot lift floorboards or similar as that could cause damage. If you want to ask questions, go via my website in my {p}rofile.
If you want to ask questions, go
via my website in my {p}rofile.

Good site Sir......but the moving magnifying glass is a little distracting when trying to read, although I am a fussy git !!

Best reg's............MD.
Yeah - its being changed soon to reflect a new partner joining us who will be doing more commerical agency work.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - Mapmaker
Just had a look at your website. Comments, if you're interested.

I like the simple, low bandwidth design. I thought the magnifying glass was quite funky, and novel - I liked it!

The text however leaves much to be desired. It is full of punctuating errors. There are absent and superfluous commas aplenty; the sentence structure is abysmal. Whoever wrote it does not understand the apostrophe. (It reads as though it has been written by an estate agent.... :-) )

What is your 'portfolio' section for? I cannot imagine any potential client clicking through a list of scrolling pictures. When they do, I cannot really follow what the text is for. It changes tense, verb subject (we, one, clients) constantly. I think that it requires rewriting.
I agree! It will be totally re-written, by me to exclude all spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. It was not written by an estate agent (and I am not, by the way!), but by a computer geek in conjunction with my partner who is, how you say, slapdash at administration, although I hasten to add a very good surveyor.
Homebuyers survey - worth it? - The Lawman
I had a homebuyers with all three houses that I bought.

one point worth making is that in each case the survey identified work that needed doing, and I was able to use the survey as a negotiating tool to get the price down. In each case the survey more than paid for itself.
Motorola Phone Tools headache - PoloGirl
Anyone else got this software and can help me please?

I recently broke the screen on my Motorola Pebl. Thankfully it was insured so I organised a straight swap with O2 (they delivered a brand new one, I gave the delivery man my old phone). The night before the delivery, I sensibly copied my phone book into Motorola Phone Tools on my laptop and wiped the contents of the phone that was going back, assuming that it would be simple to just connect to phone tools at a later date and get them back! I thought I had also saved all the contacts to the SIM, but it appears that not all have been saved when I put the SIM in a different phone.

It turns out that I can't do anything with Phone Tools unless there is a phone connected, and even when I connect the new phone it doesn't initialise and I can't get to my contacts. I'm not particularly bothered about this as I've also upgraded and the new Pebl is going on Ebay, but you would have thought there would be a way to get to your contacts without having to go through all this...wouldn't you?

If I go into Phone Tools through My Computer, there are files there called phonebk.dll and similar, but I don't know how to open these. Could they be my contacts? Does anyone know where I should look to find them, so that I can put them into my new phone and stop having to ask people who they are when they text me?

Thank you!

Edit: And minutes after I posted I found the answer! www.bvrpforums.com/motorola/viewtopic.php?t=135
Sorry!
Sony Ericsson W850i - Happy Blue!
I have just got a new one of these as a free upgrade. I hate it with a vengance. Why can't all phones be like the Nokia 6310i? Simple menu funtions, decent size buttons, good battery life. In fact there are two reasons why I want to upgrade from the 6310i and they are the loudspeaker function and the ability to surf the web and get e-mails. I don't need a Blackberry as I'm not out of the office enough to warrant the extra £17 per month - or am I missing the point?

I don't intend to send many e-mails (probably less that two or three a week) and have a Palm, and built in Sat Nav in the car, so want a simple phone, that enables me to GPRS or 3G occasionally. Any ideas?? - anyone want to swap??

I'm on T-Mobile
Sony Ericsson W850i - Pezzer
Espada, can i suggest you give the SE a little time ? I have a w810i and I said exactly the same - I hated it. After a while it has really grown on me, to the point I like it alot now. I think it takes a while to 'get' the phone menus and setup especially if you have been used to Nokia for a long time.

Cheers P
Sony Ericsson W850i - SjB {P}
Arriving at the office here in Sweden this morning, the first think a friend did was show me the new phone that he covets. A complete gadget freak and tech head, you know the model number...!
Sony Ericsson W850i - Gromit {P}
Espada: Why can't all phones be like the Nokia 6310i? Simple menu funtions, decent size buttons, good battery life.

Can anyone tell me what is the current Nokia equivalent to the 6310? Neither Nokia's or O2's websites have an obvious equivalent. I'll be in the market for an upgrade on my O2 contract soon and the features Espada describes are exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
- Gromit
Sony Ericsson W850i - SpamCan61 {P}
I'd say the E50 or 6233 are pretty close to being modern day versions of the 6310i.
Sony Ericsson W850i - Happy Blue!
E50 looks OK to me. Just a quick look on the Nokia website.
Sony Ericsson W850i - No FM2R
>>I don't need a Blackberry as I'm not out of the office enough to warrant the extra £17 per month - or am I missing the point?

Probably not.

I use a Blackberry because of the following;

1) There are e-mails that I need to know have arrived immediately wherever I am
2) My usual response to an e-mail is either a simple forward or a phone call. [no extensive typing].
3) The integration between Outlook Contacts, the Telephone and Calender is superb and fantastically useful
4) Occasionally I need web access on the move
5) I am frequently out of the office unpredictably
6) It can be used to send an e-mail if you really need to
7) I do not have a laptop, I no longer have a PDA. The BlackBerry is the only bit of equipment I carry.
8) I do nto wish to carry a separate phone and the BlackBerry Pearl is an excellent and simple phone as well

And above all else is easy to use, never breaks, always works.

Sony Ericsson W850i - kennybase
I've got the W850i and I do love it! I suppose I wanted a phone that has good memory for music and fun to use - all of which I feel this phone gave me. I came from the Nokia N70 which I hated - it was slow and kept restarting itself!

I'm on Three network for first time and have to say, I'm impressed with their coverage now and the features are cool on the web browsing are cool - I never realised bus journeys could be so much fun watching tv! lol
ebay.com - best method of payment? - Shaz {p}
Hi,

Just bought something in ebay.com (from the USA), and having it sent over. What is the best method of payment? The item is new - with warranty. Paypal by international customers (i.e. me not accepted) - any other method, which would protect me if the item does not turn up / get damaged in post etc?

Thanls for your help.
ebay.com - best method of payment? - tyro
I'd suggest faxing or telephoning your credit card number.
ebay.com - best method of payment? - Alec
"Just bought something in ebay.com (from the USA), and having it sent over. What is the best method of payment? The item is new - with warranty. Paypal by international customers (i.e. me not accepted) - any other method, which would protect me if the item does not turn up / get damaged in post etc?"

Have a look at this guy.
I have used him for Euro transactions.
auctionchex.com/
Washing machine "time saver" option - L'escargot
Our washing machine (Hotpoint Ultima) has a "time saver" option which shortens the cycle time, but the manual doesn't say how it achieves this. Does it shorten the washing part, the rinsing part or the spinning part or all three? Whatever it does it surely can't be washing so good or it wouldn't have the normal length cycle in the first place.
--
L\'escargot.
Washing machine "time saver" option - daveyjp
The cycle is for lightly soiled clothes. Our AEG machine shortens the wash and rinse cycles, resulting in a wash cycle of 45 minutes rather than 90. Clothes are always clean using the short cycle, so we always use it. . Should you be washing overalls, football kits or cricket whites every week I'm sure the longer cycle will do a better job.
Washing machine "time saver" option - Nsar
I've noticed the ads that say if you use Brand X at 30 degrees it comes out just as clean but uses far less energy. Does anyone know if this is true or er, "spin"

If it is true I'll be pinning a chuffing big notice to the machine as my wife has that weird mentality that everything must be washed if it's been in the same room as dirty laundry.

Washing machine "time saver" option - Xileno {P}
There's a whitening powder that claims to get your whites clean at lower tempersatures. Seems to work although not specifcally tested it. Can't remember what is't called but all the supermarkets do it, a small blue box with five sachets in it for about £1.

After my rugby matches I soak the clothes overnight, makes a huge difference to getting them really clean for the next muddy scrum.
Washing machine "time saver" option - Stuartli
If you can get hold of the Professional version of Daz, you'll find that it's much, much better than the standard version and about the same price for a 60-100 washes carton. See:

www.springboarduk.org.uk/pgprof/default.asp?case=p...s

We used to buy it at Tradex, a cash and carry company open to the public in various majors towns and cities, but which has now closed down its outlets.
Widow's pension. - mal
Hi, right in the middle of sorting out hings for my mother-in-law now that her beloved has passed away.
I am now looking at the financial side of things for her. She is not on any benefits and she is worrying about how she is going to manage on just her pension.
Does anyone know if she will get a widow's pension, I have looked on the following link but it only mentions widows pension for those who have lost their husband before 9-4-2001, does that mean it has been stopped?
Is there no increase in her pension at all?

www.dsdni.gov.uk/index/ssa/benefit_information/a-z...m
Widow's pension. - Stuartli
This link may provide some clues:

www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/en2002/2002en16.htm

But it's strange there seems so little on the subject.

Some more:

tinyurl.com/y8d6og

www.statistics.gov.uk/about/data/harmonisation/dow...f
What's for you won't pass you by
Widow's pension. - mal
The more I read the more confused I have become. I will maybe got to the social security office and ask or collect all the leaflets they have on the subject if it is busy.
Bank charges - mal
Not a question, but this could mean a windfall for some.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6170209.stm
Bank charges - Stuartli
Martyn Lewis has had this information (and a letter template) on his website for some time:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/viewnews.cgi?new...2,