Astra Mk4 Timing Belt - Petrol-Head
Mine needs doing in about 3k times (60k), they do a belt only or they do a kit which includes tensioner, should i just do the belt or get the kit and replace the tensioner etc ?
Thanks
Astra Mk4 Timing Belt - Dynamic Dave
Regardless of what your handbook states, Vauxhall changed the schedule to 40,000 miles or 4 yrs (whichever comes soonest) for ALL cars fitted with cambelts.

The main reason for the reduction in mileage / time period was that the tensioner failed prematurely.

So in answer to your question, to do the job properly you need a belt kit (comprising tensioner, pulleys & belt).

Also consider changing the waterpump if this is the 2nd belt change, as it's an additional expense should the pump fail before the next belt change is due.
Thanks i did think the "kit" was the better option as i do it myself it'll work out cheaper then a garage so i'll be saving money there anyway. I have heard about the water pumps before but i've not had a failure in that dept ......yet !
Astra Mk4 Timing Belt - Ruperts Trooper
The belt should have been done at 40k, as DD says, so it's overdue.

You'd be very unwise to expect tensioner, rollers and water pump to last to 100k so change them as well. The water pumps are only about £25, the labour's negligible IF you've got everything stripped down for a belt change. Don't forget to smear the water pump seal with silicone grease when re-fitting.
Thanks for that, i wreckon £100 all in for pump, grease and cam belt kit. Probably take me a coupleof hours. It was done at 40k but i didn't have the car then. Peace of mind anyway when i comes to belts. Have to do the Subaru soon, thats a bit more time consuming, they are all easy i think but if you take you time it's worth doing well.
Thanks again.
Astra Mk4 Timing Belt - Ruperts Trooper
www.autovaux.co.uk - mostly genuine GM parts at a lot less than Vauxhall dealers.