Possible write off - where do we stand? - Mazda-Man
Hi guys - The wife's 10 year old Skoda was damaged some weeks ago when parked outside our house. We reported the incident to our insurers who arranged a nearby repair centre to assess the damage but we decided not to get any repair done until the other party's insurers admitted liability and we were sure she wouldn't lose her excess or NCD. They have now done this but I have been told by a friend that the car is likely to be a write off even though it has just passed its MOT and is fine to drive aside from the damage to the rear bumper and inside of the boot area. The car isn't worth very much so what are our options if it is declared a write off but we wish to keep it?

Cheers!
Possible write off - where do we stand? - tyro
I presume that you have already gone to HJ's FAQs and read number 41?
Possible write off - where do we stand? - Mazda-Man
Well I hadn't but I will now :)

Cheers guys
Possible write off - where do we stand? - Birdman
The FAQ answers the question very directly with, "If the other party is judged to be wholly and neligently responsible for the damage then you are entitled to be put back where you were immediately before they did you the damage."

But what if the replacement value of the car is less than the cost of repair. That surely is the concern here. I would expect the 3rd party's insurer to then say that the claimant cannot expect to have the same car restored to its original condition if it can be replaced by an equivalent alternative at a lesser cost. I.e. another Skoda of the same type, condition and year. So the worry always is, what if I have an average-looking but carefully maintained reliable family car which costs say £1500 to repair, when the average-looking example is worth only £1200, is poorly maintained, and as an unknown vehicle I risk being presented with large repair bills by it (which is usually why such cars come back onto the market!). Can one then insist upon having the original cherished and well-known car repaired? Sadly, I would guess not. Although these things are always worth arguing with the insurer about. Moral of story: don't cherish your cars, treat 'em mean and dump 'em back on the market if they complain.
Possible write off - where do we stand? - Petrol-Head
As far as i'm aware if it's a write-off it has a certain class of write-off. Not sure what they are.
They'll give you money for it if your fully comp if not, and it's road-worthy with the MOT than you can run it.
Regards
Possible write off - where do we stand? - LeighB
I had a similar dilemma with our elderly but still very reliable Volvo 240 Estate earlier this year.
I reversed carelessly and managed to break the rear window and just creased the top edge of the tailgate.
Value of car - about £450 - cost of repair by NU authorised repairers £750. (New tailgate from Volvo, new window, total respray of tailgate etc.)
I was advised to ask for a Cash in Lieu settlement as we wanted to keep the car and get it repaired elsewhere.
NU offered 60% of the value of the car, £270 in settlement, I managed to get the car repaired very well for about that amount at another car repairer, in fact I did quite well as the old rear window heater was US, new window has working heater!
The car is not written off and remains your property.