1993 Mitsu Colt 'cutting out' - Sprice
Hi, bought a Mitsubishi Colt recently. Every now again it cuts out at junctions and needs restarting. Sometimes it just 'nearly' cuts out but 'recovers'. Its a 1.6 16v 4G92 engine if that helps.

Now and again the 'CHECK ENGINE' light comes on too (but goes out after a couple of minutes), so are the problems related? I've not done anything to the car yet, so not assessed the plugs, dizzy cap etc, but it drives very well with no hesitation on acceleration. So is it a simple clean of throttle body, or something more complex (idle valve etc).

Oh, the heater doesn't get very hot either if anybody has any ideas!

Thanks in advance.
1993 Mitsu Colt 'cutting out' - Aprilia
Idle air valve (stepper motor) is a favourite failure on most Mitsi's. If you feel competent you can check the winding resistances. I think they should be around 30 ohms - there's two of them (four-pole connector).
Thanks for your reply Aprilia. Where is the idle valve located on this car, and is it a simple case of 'cleaning' it that you can for some cars?

If anyone can help it would be appreciated!
1993 Mitsu Colt 'cutting out' - Aprilia
The Idle air valve is on the throttle body - 4-pin connector IIRC.

You can try cleaning it, but often on a Mitsi/Hyundai/Kia one of the windings goes open circuit. It COULD just be dirty though, so a clean wouldn't hurt.
Thanks Aprilia, I'll have a look when the weather gets nicer. TBH, the car drives great in every way, reponsive, economical etc, just cuts out now and again (once its warmed up), and I only paid £285 for it anyway (the 15" alloys, newish tyres and 11 months MOT are worth that) !