Astra running slow - markymarkn
Chaps,

My 1.8i 1989 Astra CD seems to be running a lot slower than it used to. I have owned the car for a year now, and it just doesn't seem to have the power it had when I got it. I appreciate there is the 'getting used to it' factor, but friends also agree with what I think. I am not a boy racer and I do not thrash the car anywhere.

Over the coarse of the year its had new plugs (bosch 4 cathode jobbie), leads, 2 oil and filter changes, air filter, and a new rocker cover gasket as far as the engine goes. I only use quality petrol.

I have tried cleaning out the throttle body housing with carb cleaner also. When it is warm and under full load, it also tends to pink sometimes.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong or how I can get it running properly again?
Is the pinking anything I should worry about?

Cheers,

Mark
Re: Astra running slow - Andy P
If it has an exhaust gas recirculation valve, this may be the problem. When my Cavalier started cutting out, the dealer cleaned the EGR valve, and all was well for a short time. Then the problem reoccure. Dealer then admitted it was due to the EGR valve. Once this had been replaced, and an oil separater fitted to the crankcase breather pipe, all was well.

Andy
Re: Astra running slow - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Too early for EGR. Does this one have an idle speed control valve? It is cylindrical hanging on two large bore rubber hoses at the opossite end of the plenum chamber to the throttle. If so clean this carefully with carb cleaner holding the electric connector upwards. If it has the earlier auxiliary air valve which is bolted to the cylinder head look on the throttle body for a recessed brass screw facing forwards. Take this out and clean it and just check the throttle body again around the butterfly, is it really REALLY clean? I suspect not, use a toothbrush in conjunction with the carb cleaner. Finally if it still feels lackluster consider having the injectors cleaned especially if you have been using cheap petrol.
Re: Astra running slow - markymarkn
Andy - It doesn't have an EGR but thanks anyway.

Andrew - It is the type with the aux air valve bolted to the cylinder head. I'll try cleaning the throttle again. Would it be possible to fit the new type idle control valve to this engine? It has been a bit funny on start up (idleing low) and I have tried replacing this aux air valve (with new one from vauxhall) and it made absolutely no difference.

I doubt the injectors have ever been cleaned either. Does anybody know anywhere around the Nottingham/Derby area where I can get this done, and to what cost?

Thanks again,

Mark.