Coolant condition/age, change or not? - cheddar
Hello,

If coolant is ok in specific gravity terms, i.e. is proving the required protection from freezing should it still be changed on an age basis? I am getting differing views on this.

To put it another way can it's corrosion resistance and lubricity diminished even if it's anti freeze properties are intact?

Thanks.

Coolant condition/age, change or not? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a feeling that there is a colour change involved - a bit like litlmus paper, but I can't remember from what to what. You might need the original container to check the instruction. If it is as supplied when the vehicle was new the main agents should have the info!
Coolant condition/age, change or not? - DP
It's a good question. I know Ford now "life" their OE-fill coolant at 10 years yet it's protecting some of the same engines that a few years ago needed changes every 2 years.

The only logical explanation as I see it is that the newer type coolant retains its protecting properties for longer than the older type which in turn suggests the answer to your first question is no.There is no inherent time limit for coolant to be changed - it's purely down to the properties of the brew that's in the engine at the time, and said properties are massively improved in recent years.

Of course in practice I suspect that quick top ups with tap-water or incorrect coolant mix / type over a 10 year period would probably wreck at least one the protective properties of the coolant and suggest an early change to be a good idea.

Cheers
DP
Coolant condition/age, change or not? - Ruperts Trooper
The red coolant now used as OE by many manufacturers should be changed every 5 years.

The older, but still available, green / blue / yellow coolant should be changed every 2 years.
Coolant condition/age, change or not? - RichardW
'Coolant' performs 2 functions: anti freezing and anti corrosion. The two are catered for by separate parts of the coolant. In the case of 'traditional' glycol coolant, whilst it will retain its antifreeze properties for many years, the anti corrosion part is (relatively) quickly depleted. So Glycol coolant should be changed every 2 years. More modern coolants use Organic Acid Technology and retain their anti-corrosion properties for much longer. Change intervals vary from 5 years to never, although I'd have though a change between 5 and 10 years would be prudent! The colour of OAT coolants varies - Citroen's for instance is nearly clear (and I think is of the never change variety). Note you should not mix glycol and OAT coolants - they can form gels - not good!

Most of what you wanted to know about coolants here www.babcox.com/editorial/tr/tr110046.htm (2000 though, so a bit out of date now!)
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Coolant condition/age, change or not? - Galaxy
The new Ford OAT long life coolant is purple, well, a very pale purple, anyway.

It mixes OK with the older type which was red/orange.

Coolant condition/age, change or not? - madf
If you have an all aluminium engine, I would change OAT based antifreeze every 5 years ..no matter if its stated life is 10

The reason is simple: the costs of corrosion or cylinder head gasket failure is MUCH (factor of 20+) higher than cost of changing antifreeze.

All non OAT based antifreeze every 2 years.

Since majority of engines have iron blocks/aluminium heads,
take no chances. Every 2 years if not OAT..

If an engine notorious for lunching Ch gaskets (Rover 1.8) : be PUNCTILIOUS - every 2 years.

madf
Coolant condition/age, change or not? - L'escargot
Of course in practice I suspect that quick top ups ........

I can hardly remember the last time I had to top up the coolant. Modern cars never seem to lose any coolant.
--
L\'escargot.
Coolant condition/age, change or not? - piston power
i read various views on the same thread and the way i look at it is at £6.00 for one and a half litres it's worth changing every 2-3 years, you can flush out the system for your own piece of mind but thats" MY OPINION " good luck.
Coolant condition/age, change or not? - cheddar
Thanks for the responses on this, I looked back through the receipts and found that the coolant had not been changed in 8 years and the change interval is 4 years.

However when I drained it it was as clean as the day it was put in, I bought some Halfords (I guess Comma) 5 year stuff, one ltr bottles are on 3for2 so only cost 10 quid and gives a 60/40 mix with deinonised water. Job done.