I Have A Question - Volume 157 - PoloGirl

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 158 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. They now go in another thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 157. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.
Realistically halfway...? - PoloGirl
I didn't think this was strictly motoring enough to leave it out in the forum!

I work in Winchester and my other half now works near Gatwick, which is, admittedly closer than the midlands, but still proving to be a bit of a nightmare. We want to move in together again but can't decide on where would be best.

The whole idea of him taking this new job is that he didn't want to be a rep any more and spend six hours in the car every day. However, as he's currently doing the drive from Basingstoke every day, it can be three hours there and two back on an averagely bad day, so he hasn't had quite the quality of life improvement that was expected.

I'm recently promoted, and it would cost me to get out of my lease car, so I'm not in any rush to change my job and get one further east, not least because I don't live to work and I have lots of other hobbies and family who are all based in and around Basingstoke. I am spoiled at the moment, as I can fall out of bed and it only takes 20 minutes to get to work, but I've never been a commuting person, whereas my partner doesn't seem to mind a bit of a commute as he's always done it.

So we need some form of compromise. I thought Petersfield, but he thinks no because there is only one route from there and if it's jammed he will be stuck (currently he goes up the M3 and round the M25 but there is an Asomething through Petersfield on the map I looked at). I think that Farnborough is about as far as I want to go as it would then take up to an hour to get to work but still comfortably within reach of home and hobbies, but he says that's not really far enough across. Ideally (and I never thought I'd say it) I'd like to stay in the Basingstoke area, but I know a compromise has to be made, although I think we have differring ideas of what compromise is!

So where is realistically half way....and more importantly, nice? Failing that, anyone got any top secret back routes to Gatwick from Basingstoke?

Sorry that got a bit long! Thank you!
Realistically halfway...? - Ed V
The A3 is a good road, rarely blocked, except at Hindhead, until the tunnel is finished in 5 years' time. However, it's not that easy to get across to Basingstoke from further east, as the A272 is slow. I'd consider Farnham, which puts you 20 minutes from B'stoke via A287/M3, and him about an hour from Gatwick via A31/A3/M25/M23. If you don't live to work, want to stay with your friends and family, and you don't like the idea of moving for his work, is living together the best idea you ever had? If he's not your priority, I'd stay apart!
Realistically halfway...? - helicopter
Hi PG - As I was reading your post I was thinking of Petersfield before you mentioned it and possibly Midhurst as a viable place for you both.

Using the A23/A264/A272 your beloved could get from Gatwick via Horsham by pass to Broadbridge Heath , then Five Oaks to Petworth and Petersfield in around an hour. Its a nice drive.

The A272 to Winchester from Petersfield is easy peasy , less than half an hour.

Looking at the map , if your boyfriend is travelling the motorways from Basingstoke up the M3 then M25 and M23 to Gatwick then that is a nightmare.

When he has time , I suggest he tries the A287 to Farnham , A31 to Guildford and then A281 to Horsham and A 264 to Crawley and A23 to Gatwick.

I can give him some good information on back roads around Crawley , Gatwick and Horsham if you can give me his exact workplace.
Realistically halfway...? - helicopter
Alternatively he could use the A25 from Guildford to Reigate and then go down A217 to Gatwick .

Also as an alternative there are a couple of cut throughs off the A25 via back lanes from Dorking to Gatwick ( via some very nice villages with very nice village pubs).Betchworth ( The Dolphin) , Leigh ( The Seven Stars) , Norwood Hill ( The Fox Revived) and Charlwood which is so near to the airport they have tyre marks on the roof.

Motoring Trivia - Charlwood was the home of the late , great Barry Sheene who used to fly his helicopter out of his back garden there.

If boyfriend uses the M25 and gets stuck I suggest he comes off at Junction 9 - Leatherhead and goes down A24 to Dorking A25 / A217 or as above rather than carrying on the motorway and down M23 .
Realistically halfway...? - henry k
If boyfriend uses the M25 and gets stuck I suggest he comes off at Junction 9 - Leatherhead
and goes down A24 to Dorking A25 / A217 or as above rather than carrying on the motorway and down M23 .

>>
If you are using the A24 going south, turn left at the Denbies Winery roundabout to join the A25 thus avoiding the Dorking roundabout.

Or as a further back up route (that I always use going to Gatwick)
Turn off the Leatherhead bypass on the B2033 through the middle of golf course and through Headley. Then take the B2032 to join the A25 thus totally bypassing the Dorking. Not the fastest route but a very pretty easy route to use.

And of course always try it these alternative routes out in daylight when you are not late so that when you have to make an instant decision it is less of a worry.
Realistically halfway...? - Dalglish
.... is living together the best idea you ever had? If he's not your priority, I'd stay apart!

>>

in reply to ed v : - note that "he" is "andytdi130" , a member of this forum! so he may well be reading your comment re. "best idea" . :: ;-) ::

Realistically halfway...? - Altea Ego
Its 35 minutes to Fanum House via the M3 even with the jams at Junc 5 and the black dam, its 20 minutes to J11 on the M25* via the back roads and hence clear of the M3 J3 to M25 j12 northbound mess.

*And 40 mins from there to Gatwick

Its Lightwater.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Realistically halfway...? - PoloGirl
Thank you

Helicopter, could you drop me an email (in my profile) and I'll fill you in on exactly where he's working. You've been superbly helpful so far!

Ed V - the days of a woman moving just because her partner gets a job somewhere else are long gone! We're both in good careers that are moving upwards, so the compromise of finding somewhere halfway works best for us.

Realistically halfway...? - SpamCan61 {P}
Are you sure about commuting into Basingstoke PG? having commuted out of Basingstoke to Camberley / Farnborough for several years I was always amazed at the queues of traffic trying to get into Basingstoke, either via J6, J7 or the Alton road. The Cliddesden road seemed like the only way in without queing, but that's rather on the country side of cross country driving...
Realistically halfway...? - Ed V
PG - no offence meant. But it simply sounds to me as though your preference is to stay put - but which of you might be able to change job location if only to save 150 miles of polluting every day, 250 days a year! If you could work near Gatwick, or he could work near Basingstoke, then you've a deal! If it's airport-based, why not Eastleigh!!
Sleepy Goldfish - Sim-O
Do goldfish sleep?
I keep finding my daughters goldfish (imaginatively called Nemo. She is only 3) on it's side, and sometimes upside down floating at the top of the tank, occasionally moving a fin a little and moving his gills.
When I give him a gentle nudge he 'wakes up' and swims about.
He first did it after I put him back in his tank after cleaning him out and thought I had the water too hot or cold and shocked him, but he's done it several times since, usually when there's nobody about, like in the morning or after school/work.

???
----------------------------------------------
Aim low, expect nothing & dont be disappointed
Sleepy Goldfish - daveyjp
Our goldfish used to spend hours 'resting' at the bottom of the tank. Two weeks ago he was found 'resting' on top of the tank - belly up and not breathing! He was 13 though, which isn't a bad innings for a goldfish.
Sleepy Goldfish - Big Bad Dave
All my fish sleep, sometimes on the bottom, sometimes resting among the plants. The bottom feeder occasionally falls asleep while clinging upside down to the coral and will consequently fall off and sleep on her back on the gravel. I tend to find that if they start doing something new and unusual, then they've haven't long left for this world. I can tell when a fish will be dead by morning.
Sleepy Goldfish - Sim-O
Nemo has only been doing it for a couple of weeks, and never noticed it with our previous fish.
I was just wondering whether to prepare my young un for a heartbreak.
Sleepy Goldfish - Baskerville
There are three possibilities I think, the first two being the more likely.

1. Swim bladder problem. Fish have an organ called a swim bladder with which they control their buoyancy. Unfortunately it is sceptible to things like shock (sudden changes in water temperature) and disease and usually causes the fish to float, often tail first. The fish struggles to get down into the water until it becomes exhausted and then floats on the surface.

2. Gastric problem. Gastric gases also cause uncontrollable floating as above, but it goes away when digestion finishes. If a genetic issue, then prepare for grief counselling. But you may resolve this with a change in diet. Maybe you could be overfeeding, for instance. Fish need tiny, tiny amounts of flake.

3. Not enough oxygen in the water. If you have noticed the fish at the surface "gasping" for air it could be that there is not enough aeration. Sometimes fish swallow air under these circumstances, which makes them float, become exhausted etc. If this is a fish in a bowl, change the water more often and don't fill too near to the neck of the bowl (more surface area=more oxygen. Again, less food may help as there will be less rotting matter in the tank.

In any case be sure to settle the temperature when you change the water. Shock is a killer.
Sleepy Goldfish - Sim-O
I don't think it's a swim bladder problem as his swimming about is fine.
His diet is a tiny amount, keep him a little hungry, so he's more vicious with intruders then ;-)
His tank is square so the surface area is the same no matter how much water is in it. maybe need something to agitate the water as it's only a small tank and doesn't have a aerator as he is cleaned out regularly, once a week at least, whether his water look dirty or not. I'll have to think and see if I can rig something up.
I try to get the temperature right when I clean himas yeah, shock kills.

Keep an eye on him and see how we go I think.

Thanx for the advice
Sleepy Goldfish - Baskerville
A small filter might be a good idea. It will mean you won't have to clean out the tank much, just clean the filter and do a partial water change now and again--if it's a small tank look for a filter that hangs on the outside. This will reduce the traumas of frequent cleaning and move the water about. It is three years since I last cleaned out my fish tank and it's good for another three.
Sleepy Goldfish - Altea Ego
Get a cat, it will keep the fish awake and active 24x7
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Sleepy Goldfish - artful dodger {P}
This is not normal behaviour and would agree with other comments already posted. My daughter's goldfish tank has a filter pump and an air pump. Personally you should have both if you want the fish to remain in top condition. Before we had both we lost several fish quite quickly after being introduced to the tank.

When you change the water do you add drops to remove heavy metals? This could also be a potential health problem if you don't at present.

Also follow the advice on overfeeding, the fish should be able to clear all the food flakes in less than 2 minutes, and only feed once a day.

The only other question I have to ask is the fish looking healthy, no growths, raised scales etc. Any problem, then ask for help at you fish shop, include asking for the water to be tested (they will usually do this for free).

It would also be good for the fish to have a companion or two.

Do try to to help the fish, but if you cannot you will be surprised how easily a 3 year old will accept it.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Sleepy Goldfish - Sim-O
The fish looks good, nothing out of place a growing where it shouldn't.

I do feed it a tiny amount twice a day, I didn't think I was overfeeding it, but if I'm feeding it twice a day I might be.

He's only small, in a small tank so cleaning him out isn't any hassle, and as i say, his water doesn't get dirty very quickly so maybe just a pump will do.

I don't add anything to the water, just try to get the temp right, but mentioning the heavy metals, would letting the clean water stand for a while before putting him in it help? I'm thinking of some of the other addatives in tap water.

>>you will be surprised how easily a 3 year old will accept it.

you're right, she might seem upset at the prospect of losing Nemo, but he'll probably be forgotten about in half an hour.

Cheers
Sleepy Goldfish - artful dodger {P}
You may think the water does not seem dirty, but can you see ammonia? Impossible. Generally goldfish or tropical fish are pretty easy to keep, provided you feed them, clean out any muck, change the water regularly and oxygenate the water.

As per my last post I would suggest start things in the following order or all at once.
Treat the water before adding to the tank, sorry I cannot remember the name of the chemical you use, but there are a number of brands to choose from and any fish shop will sell several.
Add an air pump, do you think it is kind to be in stagnant water even if it is changed regularly.
Add a simple filter, preferably that also moves the water around the tank.

You could go to www.fishkeeping.co.uk/ for more advice on their forum.
The article there at www.fishkeeping.co.uk/modules/zmagazine/article.ph...4

--
Roger
Anti-Frost Mat - 007
Has any Backroomer used one of the mats described on the website (sorry about the long address) below? {Now shortened - DD}

tinyurl.com/yefyhw

Do they work as claimed? I would be delighted not to have to defrost our upright freezer:o)
Anti-Frost Mat - Stuartli
>>I would be delighted not to have to defrost our upright freezer:o)>>

So would I, but I'm puzzled as to how it would work....:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
PS

I'll ask my best mate who runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet if he's ever come across one before.
>>I'll ask my best mate who runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet >>

I've asked him and he's equally as puzzled as to how one would work. He's never come across one.
Anti-Frost Mat - artful dodger {P}

Cannot help re the mat, but when you need to shorten a web address got to
tinyurl.com/
Download the browser toolbar and then you can click on the link and a shortened web address is created that you can then copy and paste (crtl c to copy and crtl v to paste, if you do not know the shortcuts).

--
Roger
Anti-Frost Mat - Chicken Vindaloo
Lakeland used to sell something similar looking for defrosting frozen food quickly. It disappeared from their catalogue though fairly quickly. I believe that Lakeland test all goods before selling them but I was very sceptical about this one, especially after its sharp exit.

As an aside, did anyone have one of these? I'd love to know whether it worked!
Anti-Frost Mat - Armitage Shanks {p}
Very good for thin flat things like steaks and chops, not so good for thicker things like joints. Can be found at

tinyurl.com/yk5tvz

I use mine quite a lot, worth a try at the price. If you don't like it you can put in the loft with the breadmaker and the sandwich toaster!
Anti-Frost Mat - Nsar
Or just put your frozen food into a freezer bag and put into a bowl of room temp water.
Theft/vandalism of bicycles - L'escargot
Whenever I go to Louth I frequently see bicycles left unattended in the main street at the edge of the road, just propped up with a pedal on the edge of the pavement. It really restores my faith in human nature that there are so few thieves/vandals in that town. Is there anywhere else in the UK that you could do this and on your return find the bicycle undamaged and exactly where you left it?
--
L\'escargot.
Theft/vandalism of bicycles - johnny
I spent a pleasant summer evening in Louth a couple of years ago - as with many small rural towns it was full of boy racers in modded Saxos and kids on mopeds . The Lincolnshire Wolds are a loveley unspoiled part of England though.
Pinging dishwasher - mare
We have a integrated "Diplomat" dishwasher that came with a Howdens / MFI kitchen nearly three years ago. It's developed a slightly irritating fault in that when it starts the rinse part of the cycle, it stops and beeps continuously. You then have to open up the dishwasher (to get to the controls) switch it off, switch it back again on the rinse cycle, but even that misses out the drying phase.

I would read the manual if i knew where it was - probably with the kitchen stuff which will be with all the other house refurb stuff...... Just posting in case someone here has had the same problem and knows how to cure it.

Despite being called Diplomat, I think it owes a lot to Whirlpool, as it looks quite similar in terms of control panel etc.

Thanks in advance
Pinging dishwasher - Altea Ego
Model Number?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Model Number?

You know what? There isn't one on the fascia and plus being integrated, nowhere else. Wierd!

Pinging dishwasher - artful dodger {P}
A year earlier than you, I also purchased a kitchen from MFI. All the appliances they supplied included a 5 year warranty. So check if you have similar cover.

Our Diplomat dishwasher had a similar fault after about 2 years. It was a common problem with the wiring in the door due to it being repeatably opened and closed. It only took the engineer about 20 minutes to fix.

The engineer told my wife that all Diplomat dishwashers are built in the world's largest dishwasher factory in China. It may be possible that Whirlpool dishwasher are built there as well.

If our dishwasher breaks after next summer when the warranty runs out, we will replace it rather than get it repaired as new machines start from about £250.

--
Roger
Pinging dishwasher - Stuartli
If it had been a Miele the odds are that you would never have had a problem, either after two years or five...:-)

Not quite a dishwasher, but our three-year-old Miele washing machine (one of the cheapest in the models choice) is virtually guaranteed to be trouble free for up to 20 years - it also came with a 10 year warranty on the key parts and five generally. So far, even after being used at least once a day, it has never missed a beat.

The newly designed model ranges are apparently even better but it will take quite a long time to find out.....
Thanks artful dodger, it makes sense that the slamming of the door affects the wiring and controls. I'll have to dig out the book. Being a trade sale, i have a feeling i only have a year's warranty, which of course will have expired.
Pinging dishwasher - PST
Have a look at this forum/site:

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums

Select the Dishwasher Support forum and then do a search on Diplomat (plus the model number if you have it).

Seems to be lots of people with similar problems but didn't have time to trawl through all the answers.

PST
Pinging dishwasher - PST
And if you want to know who makes what in the whitegoods world.....

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa...7

It seems very similar to the car world....perceived "high value" brands being made alongside lower models and also lots of consolidation of brands/companies....

I must get out more, I'm finding this too interesting....

PST
PST I agree you must get out more.

The link you provided included this statement:

With the opening of the cheap production from former Eastern Block states and also now massively from China, a lot of smaller production facilitites have become available. However, at the time of writing, some dishwashers from China are being produced for under £60 delivered into the UK yet being sold for £200+ and, frankly, they are utter rubbish that are plagued with faults. Install them incorrectly and the cabinet will actually twist, no it isn't a joke, it is sadly true.

If you want to know more about Diplomat and MFI look at:
www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa...4

--
Roger
It's also very similar to the computer components and peripherals world - many of the top brands rebadge products under their own names from specialist manufacturers.

Re your white goods link - in fairness to the BSH Group (Bosch etc) many of its brand names have been under its umbrella for many years. To further build on its number one position in Europe, BSH Bosch and Siemens Hausgeräte GmbH is opening a third washing machines production line at Nauen, Brandenburg.

It will produce over a half million washing machines a year for the Bosch and Siemens brands.
Pinging dishwasher - PST
And to back up what you've said, the "trade" guys on the site rate Miele as the outstanding manufacturer by some distance followed by Siemens and Bosch.

PST
I can't find those comments (perhaps in the trade section), but found a summary of a review I first read in 2003:

www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&ro...9

which is, I think, the model we own (cost was/should have been £500, but I have the advantage of my best mate owning an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet).

Interesting about the reaction to the "slamming" of the door to close it - Miele guarantee it for 60,000 operations...:-)
>>Interesting about the reaction to the "slamming" of the door to close it - Miele guarantee it for 60,000 operations.

We generally run our dishwasher 8 or 9 times a week. For every cycle I estimate the door is openned about 15 to 20 times to put dishes in it, or to put another way just over 7500 times a year. So for my family it would mean Miele would guarantee the machine door to last eight years. I wonder if that is the same for all parts.

When I compare that to the 4 years we have had our current Diplomat, with only one brief callout. Thats not too bad for reliability, especially as I live in a very hard water area. To soften the water I used plenty of granular salt in the dishwasher's salt tank, filling it up about every couple of weeks. But due to these factors you will understand why I will replace the machine if it goes wrong after the warranty ends.

--
Roger
So for my family it would mean Miele would guarantee the machine door to last eight years. I wonder if that is the same for all parts.>>

I was talking about our washing machine...:-)

Open once to load and open again to unload at least once a day and 60k seems pretty good.
SCOT ??? - borasport20
SWMBO is looking at a job description for a customer service manager which contains the following :-

'evaluate ... performance in relation to customer service deliverables (SCOT)'

'Take... action... order book conversion as identified through SCOT and other KPI/SLA analysis'

we both work in customer services, and KPI/SLA is but grist to the mill, but neither of us have ever come across SCOT in this context - anybody any clues please (before friday morning !!)

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
SCOT ??? - Altea Ego
Cant find it in my ITIL books!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
SCOT ??? - borasport20
RF - I thought you would be the man - you've let me down badly here.

on the other hand, 'service call on time' is the only plausible option, but if it only exists in various manifestations of an internet dictionary, you wonder about who fomulated the job description ?

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
SCOT ??? - Altea Ego
I suspect and have a sneaky feeling its something to do with, and is a method of call analysis from incident notification to closure. But as I say, its not a recognised ITIL term or methodology and therefore has no place in modern service management.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
SCOT ??? - psi
service call on time?
SCOT ??? - henry k
My online acronym finder says
Service call on time
Removing tick from cat! - PhilW
A stray cat has "adopted "us over the past few years and now has a tick rather close to its right eye. In past I have used a red hot ciggy end held near ticks on dogs (and occasionally on me!!) and also lighter fuel carefully applied but since this one is v. close to the eye I am reluctant to use them. Any suggestions for something harmless to cat's eye (just in case) that I can use - olive oil or tea-tree seems to ring a bell but am not sure.
Ta
--
Phil
Removing tick from cat! - Altea Ego
well

On Fifi The failthfull RF hound ( who got smothered with the damn things during a walk on dartmoor) i just pulled them out

Use tweezers to grasp the tick as near to the mouthparts (and as close to the skin) as possible. Use gentle, steady, straight force to pull the tick out.

you can smear vaseline over it, apparently they just drop out as they cant breath, not tried that myself tho.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Removing tick from cat! - Robbie
Don't use anything on the tick. Hold it and turn it anti-clockwise and it will come away.

I have a couple of tiny plastic things, that I bought in France , specifically for removing ticks. They are fork shaped at one end and you put them under the tick's head and twist anti-clockwise. The tick comes away easily without leaving any parts embedded in the animal.
Removing tick from cat! - Mapmaker
Ticks breathe through their bodies, which are the plump (cat blood filled!) bits that stick out when they're attached to your cat. So if you coat the body with vaseline they can no longer breathe, suffocate, die and drop out.

Alternatively, if you're going to pull them out, you MUST twist them in a certain direction. Robbie suggests anti-clockwise; I don't know if he's right. Twist them the other way/pull them straight out and you will leave the jaws attached to the cat. They can then become infected.
Removing tick from cat! - Stuartli
>>They can then become infected>>

Perhaps these tick removal advice websites will help?

www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/cat_tick.html

www.tellmehowto.net/howto/remove_cat_ticks_4302

www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=62

www.petplace.com/cats/how-to-remove-and-prevent-ti...x
Removing tick from cat! - Robbie
>>They can then become infected>>
Perhaps these tick removal advice websites will help?
www.lisashea.com/petinfo/articles/cat_tick.html
www.tellmehowto.net/howto/remove_cat_ticks_4302
www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=62
www.petplace.com/cats/how-to-remove-and-prevent-ti...x
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

Having visited these sites I'm not happy about their advice which contradict that given to me by my French vet, as well as that seen on a television programme.

Ticks are endemic in the Lot region where I have a holiday home, and I have had to remove dozens from my dog. The instructions on the devices that I use are to gently twist the tick so that it releases its grip and pull it out. There is the danger of leaving the head embedded in the animal if you just pull it out, and using tweezers may well do the same.
Removing tick from cat! - PhilW
Thanks for your help all. Seems to be some contradictory advice in places. I'm also not sure about the tweezers, since, as I said above, it is a stray cat and not too domesticated except when it wants food or a bit of shelter in cold weather by sitting on the doormat just inside our utility room. It doesn't like being held let alone grasped firmly so that tweezers can be used so close to its eye. I always thought that pulling them out left the head still in place.Surprised to read that a hot match/fag end does not work since that's what my farmer uncle used to use on his sheepdogs when they got ticks! Think I'll ponder this one over a glass of red!
Your help is appreciated though.
Regards

--
Phil
Removing tick from cat! - Stuartli
Try wearing gardening gloves and/or hold the cat after covering it with a thick towel or similar so that someone else can remove the tick(s) in the chosen manner.
Removing tick from cat! - deepwith
Smothering tick in olive oil also works if you don't have vaseline to hand and might be easier on a wildish moggy.
Bifocal lenses - L'escargot
How are the two parts of bifocal spectacle lenses formed?

On close inspection of my new specs it's apparent that there is a very slight defect in one of the lenses ~ the top edge of the reading section is not one clean line. It looks as if it was formed in two operations, not one, and the two parts of the line overlap very slightly in the centre. The defect is not noticeable when I am wearing the specs, only when I hold them up with a light behind them. I'm wondering whether I should take them back and request a new lens.
--
L\'escargot.
Vehicles churning up "our" grass verge - L'escargot
Between our front garden wall and the road is a 2 metre wide grass verge (no kerb or pavement) on which I lavish the same amount of tlc as I do on our lawns ~ mowing, weedkiller and mosskiller etc.

When the people opposite park on the road there is insufficient width of road remaining for two vehicles simultaneously travelling in opposite directions (or for one very wide vehicle on its own) to get past, and then they frequently resort to driving over (and churning up) the first 30 cm or so of width of "our" grass verge. It's the only bit of verge on our 1/2 mile long semi-rural stretch of road which gets this abuse, because nobody else but the people oposite park on the road ~ we all have drives long/wide enough for this not to be necessary.

Am I allowed to put substantial lumps of rock near the edge of the verge to deter the verge vandals?
--
L\'escargot.
Vehicles churning up "our" grass verge - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK you can put anything you like on 'your' land. I am sure a few large boulders would would be both legal and effective.
Unfortunately we don't actually own the verge. It's under the jurisdiction of the local drainage board ~ their dyke is culverted underneath it ~ and it's probably owned by the council.
--
L\'escargot.
Vehicles churning up "our" grass verge - No FM2R
Put a rock there. Nobody will think to question it.
Vehicles churning up "our" grass verge - Xileno {P}
Just make sure it not the size of rock that some brain dead cretin can pick up and throw through a car window. Has happened around our way.
I was thinking of chunks of limestone roughly 40 cm cubed, weighing in at about 170 kg! (Put in position by the supplier!)
--
L\'escargot.
Vehicles churning up "our" grass verge - adverse camber
Just be aware that you could be liable for any damage caused by the rocks. I know of someone that had to pay out quite a large amount when one of the rocks on their verge was dislodged by a lorry and hit by the car following.

Speak to your local highways department.
Vehicles churning up "our" grass verge - Gromit {P}
If you're going to mark the edge of the verge, erect timber marker posts with reflectors on them.

They'll stop vehicles pulling onto the verge, they're more likley to be seen as a help (you're marking out a soft verge so its visible in the dark rather than laying a rocky trap for transgressors) and if a vehicle does hit one or cross onto the verge the timber will break rather than cause serious damage to the car.

Or the alternative is to put down gravel or stone on the verge so that it doesn't look as churned up if a car drives on it...
Vehicles churning up "our" grass verge - defender
dont put rock or anything which might cause damage to vehicles or tyres within 1 metre of the road edge as you will be liable for any damage,more than 1 metre away make sure it can be seen at all times and not small rocks which could be buried with snow for example,believe me it can be very expensive to get it wrong
you may in some cases be allowed to form a proper kerb
If you're going to mark the edge of the verge, erect
timber marker posts with reflectors on them.

I had thought of erecting some proprietary flexible plastic marker posts (a couple of properties a few miles away have them) but I reckon the tractors and mobile home delivery trucks would just drive straight over them.
--
L\'escargot.
Herald disaster - lat night - Xileno {P}
Did anyone see last night's program on the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster?
I missed it, I was wondering if anyone videoed it. I will pay postage/tape/DVD cost etc. if you could provide a copy.
TIA.
Herald disaster - lat night - BobbyG
What channel was it on? It will surely be repeated?
Herald disaster - lat night - Big Bad Dave
Herald of Free Enterprise features in the "Seconds from Disaster" series (or similar) often repeated on the Discovery channels.
Herald disaster - lat night - Xileno {P}
It was BBC1 at 9pm. Unfortunately we don't have Discovery, our satellite only gives me french TV.
Herald disaster - lat night - Big Bad Dave
"Unfortunately we don't have Discovery, our satellite only gives me french TV"

Keep your eyes peeled for une programme Le Herald de Enterprise Liberte
Herald disaster - lat night - Stuartli
It was on BBC1 so it may be a while before, or if, it is repeated.
Herald disaster - lat night - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a TV listings programme (Digiguide) and the Herald programme is not on again on any channel in the next 3 weeks. Digiguide is a free dowload and about £5 a year if you want to stop the pop up adverts. Well worth a look, you can get the listings for as many, or as few, TV and radio progs that you are interested in and it has an easy search facility for prog names, actors or words.
Herald disaster - lat night - henry k
Did anyone see last night's program on the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster?

I did sort of see it but did not tape it. It was mostly interviews and re-enactments.

There is bit near the end when they included an interview with a certain Mr J Prescott who said in effect " When we are in power we will sort out corporate responsibility......" and the comment was ....and 20 years later nowt has happened. John will be John!
Herald disaster - lat night - Phil I
It is now on Teleport Replay and will be there for about 7 days. If your friends or neighbours are on Telewest Cable they will be able to run and record it for you.

Hth Phil I
Would record it for you myself but VCR is on the blink. :-((
Herald disaster - lat night - Dynamic Dave
Try looking it up on www.tvgenius.co.uk
Herald disaster - lat night - L'escargot
If you really want bad taste, this design of ferry became known as a RORORO ferry ~ roll on, roll off, roll over. Sorry, I was only repeating what I had been told.
--
L\'escargot.
Herald disaster - last night - Xileno {P}
Interesting point I found out was that leaving the bow door open would not normally have caused a problem since the opening is several metres above sea level. However the Zeebrugge loading ramps are/were lower than those in Dover so the ship had to take on ballast to load up. There used to be some great piccies on a website but seem to have been taken down, possibly threat of legal action?

Ship allegedly towed to India to be broken up.
TV Recording - pmh
Wanted for a Friend (who is studying the play)
a copy of the BBC Play/Film (1995) version
Shadow of a Gunman by Sean O'Casey.

NOT the american DVD version.

Does anybody have a VHS copy? Long shot, I know!
or any suggestions where to find.

Send me a personal Email as per profile if you have a copy pse.

--

pmh (was peter)

TV Recording - Big Bad Dave
BBC shop on Portland Place/Langham Street?
TV Recording - pmh
Not listed!
But thanks for the link.
--

pmh (was peter)

TV Recording - Armitage Shanks {p}
It is available from www.play.com as a DVD for £7.99 with free delivery. Computer glitches prevent me from posting a link
TV Recording - Armitage Shanks {p}
Grovelling apologies - it is a book not a DVD! The price was good but the format was wrong - sorry!
TV Recording - Stuartli
I did find several book references...:-)
Lourigg Fell - PoloGirl
Apparently I am going here at the end of November, and staying in Ambleside.

I've googled Lourigg fell to find out how difficult it is (I would not in a million years claim to be fit) but nothing comes up. Do you think it's possible they mean Loughrigg Fell, and if so, how hard is that?

Thank you, fountain of knowledge! :)

Lourigg Fell - Pugugly {P}
Same place I would suggest. I was up there a couple of months ago - where does time go ? If this pattern of weather (dry and cold) keeps up it should be cracking hike, plenty of stuff on Google. Try www.leaney.org/lake_district_walk.php?walk_id=629&...Y.
Lourigg Fell - Pugugly {P}
This is really odd, neither Google Earth nor Windows Local live get a hit on this. As you can see it's clearly shown on the OS map, and I've found it on my paper version here. I've done the Earth/Local thing on Snowdon and other hills I know at they both go straight there ? What's Happening. The car's Sat Nav still has the info stored to that name, just been out to check it now. Bizzare.
Lourigg Fell - Bromptonaut
It's in the same league as Catbells. Scenic and worthwhile; a mountain in miniature but no need for Sherpas, crampons or ice axes.

Wainwright describes it as pre eminent among the lesser heights of Lakeland and goes on to describe at length its paths, vistas and cairns. Assuming you're not arthritic, rheumatic or critically asthmatic it's a doddle. You'll meet toddlers with their Grannies on the summit.

Lourigg Fell - PoloGirl
Thanks!

I have actually done Catbells. I thought it was uncomfortably steep in places, but I guess that's an indicator of how unfit I am!

Lourigg Fell - Stuartli
Google Earth doesn't contain much information about open or non-residential areas.
Lourigg Fell - Baskerville
Assuming you mean Loughrigg Fell--your spelling is a bit out--a mountain in miniature about sums it up. Not hard but quite rewarding, with lovely views of the Langdales and the Fairfield Horseshoe and of course Windermere. We climbed it a few months ago with our a two and a half year-old who insisted on walking as much as possible--slowwwwww, but she managed about three quarters of the return distance. If you set off early it's not too hard to walk over the fell and go to Grasmere for lunch.
Lourigg Fell - Statistical outlier
Loughrigg fell is a lovely place. Unless you are very unfit I would imagine you'll have a lovely time. There are some great caves round the northern side that are accessible from the small car park at NY366059 (OS grid reference).

For a general overview of what it?s like (with some context) this may be helpful: tinyurl.com/ygg3nd

Suggested walk to get the most (and there will be hundreds of other suggestions I'm sure.

Start at NY366059, head up on the tiny road that runs uphill from the carpark and you get to the side of Rydal Water. Follow the track upwards, and you will go past a small cave and then a massive cave, the latter you can walk into on stepping-stones. tinyurl.com/ygw29c

Continue on up the big path up to 342057, then turn hard left and there is a short but steep climb onto the top, with glorious views of Rydal Water and Grasmere. To come down you have a myriad of options, dropping south east onto the main path works fairly well, or you might just want to explore.

Hope this helps, shout if you want any more info.

By the way ? in Ambleside, ignore the crowds at the more touristy cafes, head for the Rattle Ghyll cafe. It?s tucked around the back on Bridge St, signed from just opposite the Climbers shop. Quiet, great (albeit veggie) food, and no tourists. You didn?t hear it from me!
'Trafic'-Jaques Tati - P.Mason {P}
Does anyone have a video of this classic motoring film that they'd be willing to loan / rent to me?
Many thanks,

P.
'Trafic'-Jaques Tati - Stuartli
There is one copy available to buy on Amazon:

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000K25T68/ref=d...5

(If you have no luck elsewhere)

What's for you won't pass you by