Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - Carl2
Just about to change the water pump on a 1.6 8v astra. I,m told its wise to put something on the O ring. What would you advise?
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - Dynamic Dave
A small smearing of silicone grease is what you need.
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - Carl2
Thank you Dave.
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - Ruperts Trooper
It's probably easier to source silicon spray (from an motor accessory outlet) rather than silicon grease although model shops usually stock small pots of it.
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - slowdown avenue
i bought the vuaxhall grease at the same time , it was about 12pounds, all to much for what you need
If you ask politely at the parts desk, chances are they'll pop out to the mechanics out the back and get you a smidgen of grease.

Or google search for Dow Corning vacuum grease. For all intense purposes it's the same stuff.
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - Victorbox
DD - you do mean silcone grease as opposed to silicon grease? I have some white silicone grease in a spray can intended for greasing parts in things like food mixers. Could this be used for water pumps?
Victorbox, I meant for the rubber seal, not the pump itself. As for the grease, I'm not 100% sure what the difference is between silicon and silicone, but I was told by the dealer to use the latter.

Oldman suggests using any grease, but won't the chemicals and oils in certain greases be harmful to the rubber 'o' ring?
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - V Meldrew
I doubt very much that the 'O' ring is made of rubber. Much more likely to be PTFE or similar. If so, any grease should do
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - bell boy
is that a play on words then?
cow dung?ing
any grease will do just a smidgen mind to stop the seal tearing even a bit of ky will do
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - sierraman
Intents and purposes?
Vauxhall waterpump. grease or not? - Aretas
A small tin of silicon grease is available from any plumbers merchant. About £3.50