Ceat spider tyres by pirelli? - clachnacudden
Has anyone every heard of these tyres.

In a rush after hitting a kerb on the way to work (burstign a tyre) and went into a local Kwik Fit. After agreeing a price for a set of Pirelli p3000's I returned to find a set of 4 Ceta Spider tyres 175/65/ R14 on my pug 206.

After questiong the guy about it, he said that they are made by pirelli (which it says on the receipt) and worked out to be £30 cheaper overall. However, there is no reviews on the web, or anywhere else...Other than blatant lies, have I been ripped off?

Best as always,

Craig

{Typo in subject header amended - DD}
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - GregSwain
They're Ceat, not Ceta, and as far as I know they're just old pirelli patterns, so should be fine. I was offered them once, but it was only £2 more to get a "real" pirelli P3000 so I paid the extra. Lots of cars have the Ceat ones fitted though, and I haven't heard anything bad about them. All manufacturers have their budget brands - Federal, Barum, Tigar, Kleber etc etc. I suspect Ceat is along the same lines as these.

It's the Arrowspeed ones from Kwik Fit that are terrible, even the fitters don't recommend them - apparently they don't balance properly, and only last half a normal tyre's life.
Here's the website....

www.ceatyres.com/
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - jc2
Made in Mumbai(Bombay).
Made in Mumbai(Bombay).

So? Avons are made in China. Just makes them cheaper to produce. I would be annoyed about getting lied to by KwikFit, but as I've already mentioned, there are far far worse tyres than Ceats. So, pretend they're Pirellis and don't think about tyres again till they're knackered! ;-)

By the way, all 4 of my tyres are Chinese Avons (fitted by previous owner) - they're too hard for my liking, but I'll happily travel over the legal limit on them. Next time I'll be getting something a bit softer & cheaper...and I won't give a damn where they're made.... gone are the days when "Made in England" meant good quality - look at the rubbish produced by Rover over the previous 2 decades.
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - Hamsafar
Sounds a familiar tale at that shop, people often agree a price on a premium brand and then find they have fitted a budget brand, but the saving is less than it should be. What's more, the Pirellis are about £37-£42 fitted at most independants, not £62!

According to their website....

Make Model Tyre Size Price Quantity Total
Pirelli P3000 E 175/65T14 £53.00 £212.00
Valve and Balance £8.50 4 £34.00
Tyre Disposal Charge £1.00 4 £4.00
Total £250.00

Make Model Tyre Size Price Quantity Total
Ceat Spider 175/65T14 £41.00 £164.00
Valve and Balance £8.50 4 £34.00
Tyre Disposal Charge £1.00 4 £4.00
Total £202.00
Sounds a familiar tale at that shop, people often agree a
price on a premium brand and then find they have fitted
a budget brand, but the saving is less than it should
be. What's more, the Pirellis are about £37-£42 fitted at most
independants, not £62!

That's usually the story with large national fast-fit chains. The little bloke round the corner that jacks up the car on the street will fit the same tyres for half the price. But....you don't get the coffee machine in the foyer..... or the plastic seat covers....... ;-)
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - clachnacudden
Magic news folks...a job well done (bit relieved)...

Apolgies for the typo on Ceta..lol

Best,

Craig
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - yorkiebar
My complaint would be that if we had agreed on a price and make and they didnt fit them ?

Why didnt they fit them? Would you be happier if they put on what you asked for?

Re visit and complain if necessary; but I also agree that the ones fitted are ok.
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - SSV
CEAT Tyres (India) is basically of Italian origin. Started in 1928 at Torino Italy CEAT started its Indian operation in 1954. very Soon It grabbed the #4 Spot in India. Today CEAT is the only Company in India which offers tires in each and every category. CEAT has technical collaboration with Pirelli and many of its Products are manufactured & Distributed by Pirelli only. Performance wise CEAT tires are rated one among the Best.

Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - SSV
ALTURA (Truck, Mining, OTR Tires) is another Brand of CEAT & Pirelli.
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - bell boy
ALTURA (Truck Mining OTR Tires) is another Brand of CEAT & Pirelli.

>>>>. will they fit my cortina ? as ive had some bad handling problems
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - MichaelR
Performance wise CEAT tires are rated one among the Best.

Absolute and unsubstantiated rubbish.
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - Stuartli
If you have agreed to have Pirelli, Michelin or whatever make of tyres fitted and a substitute is provided (even though they may be made by the same company), then the contract has been broken.

The difference should be made clear and the choice of which to fit decided by you at the outset.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
i agree stuarti and i would be annoyed if cheap copy substitutes were fitted even if they were cheper,this used to be an old line from a very well known name of quick fitting tyre and exhaust places,anyway the original post is 50 years old now so the old model y has been scrapped :-(
Further to this point - I've just been checking up on tyre prices for my Bora and mentioned the point about main brand tyres being quoted and budget versions fitted afterwards with a local tyre fitter outlet owner.

His immediate reaction that it was completely out of order and that if a customer is quoted for, say, Pirellis, then that's the brand that should be on the fitted tyres.

Incidentally, this link will help identifying budget brands and their relationship with big manufacturers:

www.tyres-online.co.uk/marketing/brands.asp

This morning, another dealer quoted me £40 per tyre all in (VAT, balancing etc) for Event tyres; the tyre outlet mentioned initially £240 all in for four tyres for the same brand (he believes they are made in China).

He says, as the town's biggest tyres supplier, that he can't weigh up the £40 quote as it's not viable based on trade tyre prices.

A Google search on Event tyres brought up this HJ thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=43907
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - bathtub tom
I damaged a tyre, and 'phoned round to get one to match the other three. I agreed a price at a local 'regional' dealers. They fitted a 'lookalike' which I fortunately noticed before I paid.
They couldn't immediately source what I'd asked for, and as I wasn't accepting what they'd fitted, and they weren't letting me go with a new tyre that I refused to pay for we were at an impasse - at six in the evening!
They ended up finding the old tyre in the pile, and re-fitting it, (and balancing at my insistence) at nil cost to me.
Guess where I don't go for any new tyres?
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - rich66
That's really bad. I mean you wouldn't normally check them before paying. Especially if you're in the customer section and the car is still in the workshop. Should we be getting written quotes before buying anything like this?
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - adverse camber
The *real* question is

Who is 'SSV' and why have they registered just to make two posts pushing cheap tyres?

And have they paid HJ for the advert
he never answered my question regarding truck tyres on mar cortina either ;-(
Ceta spider tyres by pirelli? - Paul I
Prehaps those " Truck Mining Tyres" are the things to fit .... does wonders with tramlining
Further to above I've managed to find this link re Event tyres:

tinyurl.com/23zgke

I bought a set of four at £40 each (including balancing and valves) on Thursday afternoon; Friday morning bought an offer of buy a Barum or Avon tyre and get one free from National in the post...:-)

I was doing some checking on Event tyres as I noticed they were marked Extra Load, which can bring the need for higher tyre pressures.

So far I've not noticed much difference to the previous Michelin tyres and, in fact, the Events seem much quieter.
Ceat spider tyres by pirelli? - MW
Ceats are not Pirrellis. They were always a budget make 30 years ago when I was a student. Although a good budget make.
The golden rule with all tyre fitting is to watch what happens as it happens. I recently had some 'Chinese' NCT5s fitted and I must say they feel just like the German and French NCT5s I've had in the past. No problem there and the price was good. Because I was asked to wait in the lounge I did not see the wheels torqued up to 145+ lbs (should be 81) and tyre pressures 5 lbs over. Never again will I lounge!
Ceat spider tyres by pirelli? - Stuartli
During my Googling about the Event tyres yesterday I also came across this list of Chinese tyre manufacturers:

tinyurl.com/26mdzc

and the most promising source of most of the tyres they sell in Europe and elsewhere:

tinyurl.com/2chnkv

Interesting comment in the information on the company reads: "We cooperate with an India company and get Indian technical to improve our quality to a high level."

Make of that what you will.
Ceat spyder tyres - squeaker
As fitted to the basic '98 Fiesta I have recently acquired: "pants!" Road noise / vibration is the most entertaining / annoying since my experiences with some early Korean tyres many moons ago.
Not recommended (unless you are deaf and drive wearing thick gloves).