dci timing belt changed, getting a squealing noise - clio dci 03
Hi. I've just had my clio dci's timing belt changed, its done 63k and now 2 weeks down the line it's squealing when cold for 5 minutes or so. I've rung the dealer and booked it in, but i'm not sure whether they should foot the bill or me - for whatever needs doing..

i'm a university student, and can't really afford to pay £300 dealer bills every few weeks..

(not sure if they did just the belt or whole kit - i'll find that out when i go in)

also the squealing is accompanied by a loud vacuum-like noise, which varies in pitch according to the revs....this goes on for longer than the belt squeal - does anyone know what it might be, and would the belt change have caused it?

might it be the water pump?

million thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/03/2009 at 18:24

clio dci timing belt - cheddar
It might be that they did not tighten the auxiliary belt when they did the cam belt, the cam belt would not squeal unless a tensioner had not been replaced and is about to fail. Could be the water pump. Not sure about the vacuum noise without hearing it, could be that an intake hose is adrift.

Take it in and say "it was fine before, you have done the cambelt job and now it does this" and "by the way can you confirm that you fitted a kit including pulleys etc and not just a belt?"
clio dci timing belt - clio dci 03
that's fantastic! thanks so much for your help!
clio dci timing belt - clio dci 03
Clio been in garage over weekend. belt replaced again, (free of charge, and a 25 point service). Went like a dream when i picked it up, but unfortunately now 100 or so miles down the road it's squealing a lot when cold again. Some good news though, the vacuum noise is no longer there. should i take it back a third time or wait and see if it just fixes itself? Asked them about the kit, and they said it only needs to be fitted under certain circumstances (presuming they didn't bother with mine!)
clio dci timing belt - braindead
must be the fan belt are any bulbs blowing (black) ?
clio dci timing belt - rich_sp
Did you ever get this resolved?
I've just had my cambelt changed and have the same 'squeal' problem when cold. It's intermittent, tends to be once running for around one min, and tends to be more prominent when braking.
More annoying than anything else really!
Should a correctly tightened new belt fix it?
Thanks
clio dci timing belt - John F
Could it be from the belt that drives the alternator? That has to work hard immediately after starting, and possibly when 100 -200watts of brake light come on?

Try squirting belt dressing at it while someone blips the throttle.....if it silences it then that'll be it - too loose or bearing beginning to seize. If its a stiff bearing it will rapidly get very hot.....!
clio dci timing belt - Peter D
200 watt brake lights. That would hurt. Brake likes are 21 watts each. Regards Peter
clio dci timing belt - John F
Sorry - sometimes seems like 60watts each on rainy dark nights waiting at the lights!
clio dci timing belt - bell boy
i think it was a mouse up the wheel arch but it will be dead now