HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - benno
Hello All,
I have a 1997 Audi A4 2.4 V6 engine code AGA. Just come back from a week away and the thing wont start. It fires up and then cuts out after a couple of seconds. After trying a few times there was some smoke from the exhaust and a smell of unburnt fuel. Also the drivers information system is not working along with fuel gauge. I've tried disconnecting the battery for a while but it made no difference. Could it be the ECU ? or one of the million sensors !!
Any help would be much appreciated,
all the best
a rather peed off Benno
forgot to mention that the digital mileage readout does not work either !!
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - adverse camber
on your description it could be the immobiliser.

more info please.
Hi Mark,
car left standing for a week
went to start today and noticed when the ignition was turned on that the system check did not happen
car started as normal (no throttle) but cut out after 2 seconds
tried several times with and without throttle and noticed smoke from the exhaust and an unburnt fuel smell
when the engine cuts out I can also hear a 'quite' high pitched sound coming from near the fuel injection unit which goes away after about 20 seconds
then noticed that the fuel gauge does not work when the ignition is on, also the mileage readout
Just plugged in my free version of diagnostic software from Ross Tech and found the following engine codes:
I think the first is something about a voltage too low and the other 3 all point at the throttle body.
Also tried my other set of keys and fob which had the same result.
Thinking about cleaning the throttle body (oohh err) but can't see how that would effect the digital read outs,
any ideas,
cheers
Benno
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - Perfection
Could it be the battery? \your diagnostic gave some clues about low voltage and that you have left the car for a while without using it...
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - jonah1
hey, if you say your fuel gauge and pump aint workin then id start there. check yr lives n earths to the pump.maybe a blown fuse or fuel pump relay???
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - Kevin
I don't know the Ross Tech reader but those codes are not standard OBD II. For the problem you describe you should be getting Pxxxx codes where xxxx is decimal.

Also, it's not the immobiliser, it wouldn't even turn over on the starter if that was the case.

I think you have two problems. One electrical and (as a result), a flooded engine.

The electrical symptoms you describe point towards ECU signal problems.

Was it parked ungaraged?
Had any rain recently?
Was it on a slope?

First of all make sure that the battery is OK and that the ECU, fuse box, fuses and all connectors are clean and dry. Use an airline or contact spray to get rid of any water. Then check for dodgy earth connections. Until you get the info display and ECU self checks working correctly you're probably wasting your time and causing more problems trying to start it again.

Kevin...
plugged in the Ross Tech feeware again today and cleared down fault codes and read again.

1 Fault code 17978 P1570-35-00 engine start blocked by immobiliser

is this fixible ??

Benno
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - Alec
"1 Fault code 17978 P1570-35-00 engine start blocked by immobiliser

is this fixible ??"

Only if you are using the wrong key, or maybe the immo chip reader coil near the ignition lock has failed.
As it is an older car you may have the 4 digit SKC that would allow you to recode the key with a full version of VAGCOM.
Otherwise its time to flatbed it to a VAG dealer.....
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - Big John
Have you tried its spare keys?
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - Kevin
I think your P1570 code might be a crimson kipper or as a result of the original problem. Is the driver display working now?

Kevin...
Hello All,
Quick update, went out to car last night , put key in ignition and turned one click ( left for a few seconds ), then turned further so that battery lights etc come on and hey presto everything has come to life. From what I can find out it is the immo' reader coil that intermitantly fails due to a dodgy wire/connector and Audi are aware of it but deny this, nice !!!!
Got a few other issues with the car so will probably trade in for a newer model,
thanks to all for your responses,
all the best
Benno
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - baldrick
The immobiliser coil is a very common thing to go on an A4.

When I was at the audi garage a few years ago getting mine replaced 3 other people phoned about the same problem.

£15 new wire to fix it! (And that's Audi main dealer price too)
HELP !!!!!!! Audi A4 will not start !!!! - Karmangti
Your best not to gitter around with it because if you dont know what your doing you may cause more damage.Best to get the car pickt up and dropt of at your nearest Dealer if you knacker it more the engineer will now this when he plugs into his machine and something thet might only have cost a few pounds might go into hundreds.Dont think these guys who work on these cars dont know their stuff the do and if you go to your main dealer and not a back street garage you shouldnt get ript of .I have heard off this problem before and am sure it was down to a slack eart h cable in the engine bay check that all your earths are tight if they are and the problem is still their.then you know what to do i hope this has been of help to you.