German service history! - jammods
We were just about to purchase an 18 month old small hatch from a main dealer. We had been told the car had not been serviced by the garage as it had didnt need one as it had been serviced at 13k (present mileage 15k). When I asked to see the service book I found the service had been done by a German dealer garage, I stated that I wasnt impressed with this and it didnt seem right. I was then told that it didnt matter because the selling dealer had serviced it anyway (30 minutes previously I was told they hadnt)

Anyway they did manage to pull off some kind of proof from a database that the garage in Germany had seen the vehicle, but the recorded mileage was different to that written in the book.

I suppose my question is would anyone else be slightly suspicious in these circumstances?, also if we pull out the deal can they retain our deposit?

On another note one of the dents that they said they would pull out hasnt been done properly. I really dont want the car, but equally cant afford to lose the deposit.
German service history! - JamesH
A German first service stamp isn't necessarily a bad thing in its own right. It could have been owned by someone in the British Forces, or just someone living over there. Could the distance discrepancy be some form of kilometre conversion?

The part that would bother me is the change of description, first described as not serviced, then serviced. If they really serviced it themselves, how come it would not show on the database or in the book? Does the oil filter look absolutely brand new and not 2k old? If old, sounds iffy.

What is in writing? If it is written that the dent would be repaired to an acceptable standard you have reason to complain, but they would probably want another go at fixing the dent (and within their rights to).

If the servicing and dent were only verbal, I could imagine you'll have difficulty backing out.

James
German service history! - Stuartli
The deposit was presumably paid after the vehicle's status had been described to you.

This represents a contract and if the details are subsequently not correct or the work on the dent not done properly, then the contract has been broken.

The fact that it was verbal or written is equally applicable.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
German service history! - type's'
I would trust your own instincts jammods which I think are telling you that you are not happy with what is going on. You will always have some doubt about it's history I suspect no matter what the seller no tells you.
As stuartli say there may have been a breakdown in the contract terms as the vehicle is not as described so I would walk. I'm not saying the car has a problem but if you are anything like me you will buy it and then continually doubt whether the service history is up to date.
German service history! - Armitage Shanks {p}
As an ex-serviceman who used to buy cars in Germany I can say that this sounds 'wrong'! I used to get UK spec RHD cars with UK paperwork and a miles odometer. The first service was done by a German garage and UK service book signed up with a mileage record. Anything different to this is suspicios IMHO.
German service history! - jammods
Hi just wanted to let you know that the dealer was OK with us pulling out and has agreed to refund the deposit once we send the log book back (which had been sent off in order to tax the vehicle)

It probably was OK but when you have a bad feeling about something then its best to follow your instinct and walk away.

German service history! - Armitage Shanks {p}
Indeed Jammonds - good move and I am glad to hear that you are out of the deal - something lese will turn up and good luck with whatever it is!