VW's again - martin
I know, i have asked this one before.

My Passat is now back from the garage after MOT and general check to findout why the power keeps fading away and dropping me down to 50 or 40 mph with the revs screaming. The mechanic could not find anything, but changed the fuel filter and air filter anyway. This problem is intermittent, coming and going may be four times over an hours driving. It does not seem to be turbo probs either.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be greatly appreciated.

thanks
p.s i thought about dirty injectors, a build up of muck somewhere in the system, some kind of malfunctioning sensor in the fuel pump, air bubbles (although there are only one or two)???
Re: VW's again - John S
Martin

Surely if the car speed drops to 40/50, but the revs are 'screaming' it's not an engine problem - the clutch must be slipping (or the autobox is faulty, or you're in second gear).

Or am I misunderstanding the symptoms?

Regards

john
Re: VW's again - martin
Basically, as i cruise along at say 60 or 70 i suddenly get a loss of power, it feels like the car is pulling something very heavy, i have to drop down to 3rd or 2nd to keep going at 40mph, but often the speed drops even more. Going up hill is practically impossible, I slow to about 15mph.

The clutch does bite very high, and this did worry me when i first bought the car, but surely once in gear i shoul be ok?
Re: VW's again - Mark (Brazil, but in UK)
with the car stationery (ary?), put it in 4th and release the clutch. If the engine stalls, the clutch is not the source of the severe problem that you describe.

If the engine either does not stall immed. with a bang, or at least does not slow dramatically quickly and stall, then the clutch is bad enough to potentially cause the symptons you describe.
Re: VW's again - David M
Stationery = envelopes, writing paper etc.
Stationary = At rest

This post was brought to you by pedants inc.......