Toyota Corolla GTI - David Millar
Friend 250 miles away with no real enthusiasm for motoring has been given first refusal on a Toyota Corolla GTI when its one owner takes delivery of a new Jaguar. From the vague description this K-reg car sounds as though it is one of the last of the GTI twin-cams (friend has no interest in cars other than to drive a reliable model) and therefore a little more sporty looking than the range introudced around K-reg. Asking price is £1250 for a 104K mile car garage-serviced from new every 6 months by its original owner. Trade-in offer was £500 from Jag dealer.

Anyone know if this is a reasonable price (Autotrader ranges from £800-1,700) and are there any drawbacks to be aware of on this model? Insurance is not a problem for middle-aged civil servant with no boy racer aspirations.
Re: Toyota Corolla GTI - Nick
I had a 91 J plate 3 years ago that had done 89k. I coughed-up and maintained a FTSH and it always drove very sweetly after a service. I had only one real problem with warped front brake discs but these were replaced under the warranty provided with the car. Other minor things to watch for are: rust around the edge of the metal sun roof, rust around the rear window trim on the hatch. If it smokes and consumes oil it is likely to have been well thrashed, but if well maintained they are strong engines (the japs have a supercharged version pushing out 160ish bhp). Being a Toyota it never broke down, started first time and driven sensibly gave me 38mpg.... wish i still had it!
Re: Toyota Corolla GTI - David W
I had a mate with one of these and it was a very nippy reliable car.

However I wouldn't let the current owner be so greedy. If he was offered £500 for a trade-in why does he want £1250? Buying a new Jag without a trade-in should put him in a strong position.

Assuming it is the "up to '92" model I'm thinking of he ought to be willing to sell it for about £750 and be well pleased.

David