Beware unexplainable tyre pressure loss! - Steptoe
I have been experiencing a steady loss of pressure from two tyres on the venerable Volvo 740 for a couple of years now, nothing too drastic, about 2 or 3 PSI per week.

On a couple of occasions, suspecting a puncture, I visited my regular tyre depot and spent several minutes staring in the water bath together with the fitter, to no avail. We eventually concluded that it was pressure loss from the rim of the tyre whilst travelling and settled for a bead reseal and a new valve, the fitter advising me to source some replacement rims and I did indeed make some halfhearted enquires to try to get some S/H alloys.

Yesterday, on investigating a distinct clicking noise from the rear I found that part of the rim had become detached from the rest of the steel wheel, a radial shear of about 1/2" and a circumferial shear of about 4". The tyre hadn't blown off but I am shuddering at the recollection that I have just returned from a return trip to Gatwick.

What should have been very obvious rust weakening was hidden by the standard inset stainless steel embellishers which remain in place during wheel removal, and I ignored the pressure loss warning. I cannot be positive that the pressure loss was through the thin section but it must be a possibility.

Naturally this sort of problem is unlikely to affect more modern cars, the Volvo is 20 years old with a stellar mileage, however I have posted the tale as a warning against complacency.
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Beware unexplainable tyre pressure loss! - 007

Point taken...thanks very much.