Honda Jazz - another test drive - peter
Having had a look at one yesterday and being impressed by the versatility and overall packaging I managed to borrow it for a 1 hr test drive. Unfortunately the only available model was the Sport with low profile tyres and alloys, and I was already mindful of other peoples comments that the ride was a little choppy.
I included sections of motorway, country lanes and urban. Some observations follow:
Ride/handling
Yes it was a little choppy on poor urban/extra urban roads where the surface has seen better days, but not to the point where I could not live with it. I guess with the steel smaller wheels and ordinary tyres the ride may be a little better, but would welcome comment from anybody who has tested both versions. It stays impresively flat when cornering enthusiastically, but the slaesman insists that the sport model has stiffer supension and anti roll characteristics although the spec says nothing about this! Anybody know the answer please? The power steering appears to be speed dependent and ideal for urban but I was not convinced by the lack of feel at faster speeds. It drove like a small car, it did not feel as sure footed as my 16v 1.2 Zetec Fiesta (even with 70k on the clock) which always fells like a bigger car.

Engine /transmission
Gearbox is a delight, precise short throw, but you need to use it. I found the 5th gear flexibility poor compared with the Fiesta. Ok it it only had 500 miles on the clock and may loosen up, but I doubt it as it was very willing to rev freely. It seemed very quiet at tickover, but noisy upto 30 mph when accelerating, it then quietened down (comparitively) upto 75mph. I was not convinced that a continental 85 mph would be comfortable for several hours at a time.

When starting off the trip fuel consumption iwas showing only 34.9mpg ( over 80 miles) and despite reading the book (as a last resort) refused to reset. At the end I had a reading of 37.1 ( after about my 30 miles) so I guess that I got something around 43 mpg. Not scientific but the best I could do.

I will now go back and read the road test that somebody posted about a week ago to see what he said. I purposely did not read it in detail until after I had committed myself to print.

I will now try and get a Yaris Verso for a comparable test, anybody got any other comments? I think that from a driving point of view both my Fiesta and Golf GTI (Mk2 8v) are better but different!
Re: Honda Jazz - another test drive - Spud
Hi Peter,
it was I who posted the Jazz test drive a couple of weeks ago. I had a look for
the original posting, but I think it may have been deleted now.
I test drove the standard Jazz which I liked very much indeed. The build
quality was first class and I liked everything about it apart from the rear
view vision on reversing, the wide front pillars (made roundabouts awkward),
and lastly the ride quality I found to be appalling. After only a mile or so on the
testdrive I had already dismissed this car from my shortlist. It is such a shame
because it is a great little car but, somehow the Honda engineers had actually
managed to amplify every little bump and lump in the road. With the seats
being firm too, I reckon that a long run would be very tiring and uncomfortable
with all that vibration jarring up your back. I have since decided upon the new
Yaris D-4D which I am picking up on Friday. Don't forget though the C3 and new
Fiesta are on the horizon. Good luck with choosing. The choice has become a
lot wider now which makes it harder to decide.
Just re-read your post.
The salesman said the sport version had stiffer suspension? Hmmmm!
I'm not sure about that. it's worth a check. I can't recall reading anywhere
in the literature that I've got that states that.
Re: Honda Jazz - another test drive - Honest John
Why not read my road test? I was driving the Sport. I agree with Peter that the Jazz doen't handle nearly was well as a Zetec SE Fiesta, but that's not the point. It isn't supposed to handle like a sports car. It supposed to be an extremely useful suburban car. If you want handling, get a MINI. However, if Spud values ride comfort above all else I'd advise him to stay well away from the MINI Cooper. Seems from earlier postings that the top competitor to the Jazz has turned out to be the new Yaris D-4D rather than the new Fiesta, Polo or even Citroen C3. None of these, not even the Yaris Verso, can match the Jazz for versatility.

HJ
See Driven tonight 8.30pm.
Making comparisons between the Jazz, Fiesta and Polo.
Re: Honda Jazz - another test drive - Honest John
Fair enough. Mike Rutherford on 'Pulling Power' gave the Jazz the thumbs up on Monday night, in comparison with the new Fiesta, new Polo, new Ibiza and Citroen C3. Let's see what Mike, Jason and Penny think of it. Have to set the video to pick up 'Wrong Car, Right Car', though.

HJ