Scenic squawk - Twanglow
Hi - for years, my missus's 2000 Scenic 1.6 Sport has made a kind of squawk noise when pulling away, as the clutch is engaged. The sharper the bite of the clutch, the louder the squawk. It's possible to avoid making the noise if you let the clutch bite very gently, but I lack the necessary refinement (or patience). It's been there ever since we bought the car in 02. It's now on 65K miles and the noise is more noticeable than ever. It usually only occurs when moving away in first, but has started to be audible when changing up to second. But it obviously has't affected the basic driveability of the car, or we'd have got round to worrying about it before now. Should I get it fixed, and what's the likely cause? Any thoughts gratefully received.
Scenic squawk - RichardW
Either the clutch plate / flywheel is glazed, or some of the springs in the plate are broken -probably caused by clutch abuse in the past. Sooner or later it will need replacing, but if it doesn't slip and you can live with the noise it will probably be OK for a while yet (my old BX TD used to do this if given plenty of welly away from the line - but I sold that before I had to replace the clutch).
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Scenic squawk - Victorbox
We had a pool car Scenic 2001 year at work which would squeak exactly as you descibe. It went on as normal for some time until the clutch died of old age & was replaced - after which no noise. I think the Renault dealer which did the clutch confirmed what we thought that it was the clutch release bearing. The most common thing that failed on our 1.6 Scenic was coil packs leaving the driver stuck out in the sticks.
Scenic squawk - Twanglow
Thank you both - On that basis I think I'll wait and see.
Scenic squawk - Altea Ego
Its a renault clutch thing.

Happened on the wifes R5, it squawked for two years and 20k miles with no problem, I can make the wifes clio do it, and it has done for 5 years and 40k miles with no problem, and my scenic did it for 48k miles with no problem. The goona did it now and again for 40k miles.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Scenic squawk - Collos25
Dry clutch release bearing
Scenic squawk - RichardW
If I read the OP right, this is NOT the release bearing - if that is dry / worn it complains all the time the clutch pedal is down. This is a squeal that only occurs just as the clutch pedal is brought up and the drive is engaged. This can only be caused by the driven plate slipping against the flywheel and pressure plate. I don't know why Renault should be troubled with it though - they probably use Valeo or LUK clutches just as PSA do, and I've not heard it being a problem on them (except my BX, as above, but that had covered >110k before it started, and 136k when I sold it).
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Scenic squawk - Collos25
Sorry I missed the question mark off it was a question not a statement.