VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
Has anyone driven this new 1.4 Golf with the supercharger and turbocharger?

Even though I've only just got my lovely A3 I have to choose my next car soon, and I may be interested in this as an alternative to the ubiquity of 1.9/2.0TDi engines.... I fancy a revvy petrol for a change!

The MPG for the 140BHP version is supposed to be around 40, 38 for the 170BHP version.

Views appreciated...
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
Just a quick comment, I AM an Audi driver, but I am 34 years old ALL the time and whilst my friends do odd things from time to time (getting married, having kids, that sort of thing) they don't live in Donnie Darko Land.

: )
VW Golf 1.4TSi - madf
Why not get an S2?

I know where there is a £40k one going cheap...
madf
VW Golf 1.4TSi - cheddar
Yeah and drive it on the right side of the road, er, wrong side, not the left .......
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
All good points, and your input is appreciated.

Now, has anyone driven a TSI? : )
VW Golf 1.4TSi - cheddar
No, but if I pretend I am retired and I have just sold my E-Class to a fake copper and I am buying the milkman's sister a TT and I work for VW I could say - Yes!
VW Golf 1.4TSi - Lud
Surely HJ must have had a go in one by now?
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
Good point, haven't actually looked! Will have a look now.
VW Golf 1.4TSi - cheddar
I looked, couldnt see it.
VW Golf 1.4TSi - PoloGirl
They are ridiculously quick - there's one that does almost the same commute as me and it must do it in half the time it takes me as it just moves past everyone else like they're parked. I think I'd be too scared to drive one and I'm not exactly light footed on the accelerator in my tdi!
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
I'm liking it already... where's that order form?

The 170BHP version is 7.9 seconds 0-60 I believe. Not bad for a 1.4!
VW Golf 1.4TSi - oldgit
I wonder what amount of extra dosh my Insurance company would exact from me when, over the phone, I tell them that I am changing my 1.6FSI for a 1.4 TSI? I can't imagine, at the moment, which group such a quick car like this would be in.
VW Golf 1.4TSi - daveyjp
Group 16. Same as the GTi. 1.6FSI is group 6.
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
Yes, it's 16. The 140 is 13. My insurance have just quoted me an extra 60 quid over my A3 for the 140BHP, and an extra 170 quid (OUCH!!!) for the 170BHP.

60 quid is OK, I can hack that. Don't know if I can hack 170 quid though, as the 170 would also be a few more quid lease each month.

Think I will go for the 1.4 140, which works out cheaper a month than the A3, although it's a bit less economical. Although, petrol is noticeably cheaper than diesel now so....

My head hurts.
VW Golf 1.4TSi - Adam {P}
You have it easy Steve - for my Focus alone I'm paying nearly a grand a year. An extra 170 quid for a Group 16 car would be bliss!
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
Ah yes, Adam but you're young and pretty (shome mishtake shurely) and I am old and decrepit with a large mortgage....

: )

You're right though..... I am tempted by the 170 on the grounds that there has to be some payback for an expanding waistline and receding hair....
VW Golf 1.4TSi - cheddar
IF I were considering a TSi I would not be concered about less than 15 quid in insurance per month for the extra 30 bhp however a TDi, a GTi or something else completely might be a better bet.
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
Cheddar, I agree but for me on a lease scheme (and a tight budget!!) it's like this:

my A3 costs me X pounds + 50 quid insurance + 1000 miles@45mpg
A 1.4TSi 140 would cost X pounds minus 38 quid + 55ish quid insurance +1000 miles@40mpg
A 1.4 TSi 170 would cost X pounds minus 20 quid + 70 quid insurance + 1000 miles@37mpg.

The two alternatives above are acceptable. A Golf GTi petrol would be X pounds PLUS 40 quid + 90 quid insurance plus 1000 miles@30mpg. Not acceptable! And I don't want another diesel as I have had 5 in a row with the exception of my midlife crisis special TT.

It seems to me that the TSi engine is both powerful and economical enough to be practical for me, and also as a techie/geek, it's technologically interesting.

VW Golf 1.4TSi - cheddar
TSi 170 then, no brainer, it probably has more std kit than the 140 as well.
VW Golf 1.4TSi - stevied
You read my mind! Cold figures speak volumes....

Also, more emotionally, was looking round the car park before and the GT (170BHP) has much of the GTi body kit and very nice multispoke alloys, a fave of mine.

No-brainer!

Hurray, I've chosen my next car!