Carpeted floor mats? - franco

I've got some cheap carpeted floor mats in my old banger right now, but whenever my feet are wet and I rub them onto the floor mat the water is going right through and making the carpet underneath the mat wet. I'm concerned that this might lead to rust in the floor or something.

Now, I've been looking on ebay and would rather get carpeted floor mats than rubber floor mats, but I am not sure if this water leaking through issue is a symptom of all carpeted floor mats or if it is just the cheap ones that I have.

Also, has anyone bought mats off ebay? I am thinking of buying some at a lower price that are listed for other makes and models and maybe cut them to make them fit if they are the wrong shape.
Carpeted floor mats? - bell boy
old saying but twoo saying.................
you get what you pay for..........
the british market is full of cheap rubbish car mats i usually buy mine(cheap rubbish ones) from maccess but was in tesco last week and the full set was less than £5.
If you want quality go to a scrapyard and look in something decent or go to your dealer and buy the walkers (real mccoy)
All cheap mats are as said ....................chep
Carpeted floor mats? - Chris S
I found that rubber-backed floor mats trapped melted snow underneath them.
Carpeted floor mats? - Lud
I liked the rubber floor covering in my Dyane. If you were so inclined you could just hose the car out. Carpets are great when clean and new, not so great after ten years living with children and other slobs.
Carpeted floor mats? - Stuartli
I don't know if they are still available but, for many years, I've carried over the superb all rubber VW branded floor mats from each VW vehicle I've aquired.

Even the driver's side mat shows very little wear after so much use and they are easily cleaned by soaking in a bath of water every few months or so.

The main thing is that the top surfaces have deep ridges to trap water or snow off shoes or other footwear and the mats can very readily taken out and the water shaken off.

I don't think they would have been cheap but clearly worth every penny.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Carpeted floor mats? - adverse camber
One good feature of the volvo is the floor trays. They have a 1 inch lip around the edge - keeps all the muck etc on the very flexible plastic tray, just pick it out and empty the crud at regular intervals.
Yeah, the VW ones do seem to be very expensive. There are cheap ones on ebay that do not seem to be cheap quality, but they usually come from other makes of car, and are sometimes shaped for that make and model.

A scrapyard would probably be the best thing come to think of it. I always seem to think of ebay first.
Carpeted floor mats? - rtj70
After seeing an amusing thing at a car wash one time you'd have thought any car can be hosed out.

Waiting in the queue in the hand car wash... car in front being jet washed. Nothing funny in that. Then the lad opens the passenger door and washed the inside of the car!! With a pressure hose. I wonder if he was removing evidence or something... hmmm. It was near Longsight in Manchester.
Carpeted floor mats? - ffidrac {P}
Try a Tesco Extra store. I have bought a set of 4 carpet type mats for less than a fiver (Tesco Value Label)
But they are the type I have and the water is going through them. I paid a fiver on my high street and got a fiver's worth I suppose.
Carpeted floor mats? - rtj70
You did not say what car you had did you? I got mats with my Mondeo via leaseplan and very poor and did not fix to the points on the floor in driver's footwell.

Armed with the knowledge that I could sort this via expenses went to Ford.... and they had an offer of proper Ford mats for about £20!

Bought up and tried claiming. Got the money but since original mats from leaseplan now slipping would have paid anyway.

You might be surprised what they cost. Depending on make they could be fairly cheap. Mine came with fixing "screws" (not really screws .. more plastic threads) but not needed 'cos the Mondeo had them in the floor carpet already.