I Have a Question - Volume 150 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 151 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 150. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Job interview continued - Hugo {P}
In response to Artful Dodger's post in the last thread, I remember going into a large supemarket and asking for an application form for a holiday job. The supervisor disappeared to get one whilst a lady at the tobacco counter said quite seriously "Do you really want to work here?"

Bobby, can I suggest you go in and buy some groceries during quiet times and talk to some of the assistants who serve you, not on the tills but who are working on the floor. You'll have an idea of who and how to approach, having worked in retail management.

It strikes me that a company that is late in filing its CH return needs investigating seriously. Are there more details that Companies House can tell you?
Job interview continued - BobbyG
Thanks for your suggestions and input so far. Didn't mean to mislead but the new job I am going for isn't strictly a retail job as such. For various reasons don't want to go into too many specifics but it won't be too easy to ask existing employees "on the fly".

TVM, I will be blunt with the questions as you suggest, after all, it shows a healthy interest if nothing else. I will try and push for specifics on funding for their expansion etc.

Reassuring to know that there may be a genuine reason for the late posting of accounts, not least perhaps that the Companies House website may not be up to date!

Hugo, what else would I be able to find out from Companies House? I have never used the site before so not sure if I can pay for more info / reports etc?

And the way I am feeling about my current employment, I think I would give the same answer as your lady at the tobacco kiosk!
Job interview continued - cheddar
TVM's line is fine, be honest, express your concerns about working for a small company, assuming they were/are a new start up ask how they were funded, you may be told that the MD's house is on the line or that they have £25 mio from a off shore VC based in the IoM, balance your concerns with positives such as " would really like to be part of ambitious growth plans, to be able to contribute to future sucess" etc.

IME the accounts being 2 months late at Companies House is not uncommon and is probably fairly typical of an ambitious company in the early growth cycle, directors not yet used to working with their accountants and perhaps spending to much time doing, at the coal face, and not quite enough planning and organising.
Job interview continued - BobbyG
Just a wee update guys, went for the second interview and pretty confident that I am going to be offered the job. However, contract is 48 hours a week ( I am currently 39 though doing nearer 55!) but they are insisting that it is a 6 day week, albeit maybe half day on the sixth day.

So I will be refusing it on that basis especially as at various times of the 2 interviews I stressed that I was wanting to get the "work/life" balance and they were totally agreeing with me!

So its back to the Situations vacant........
Ferry to Ireland Question - arnold2
Booked a great cottage in Southern Ireland for Christmas (below Cork).... what's the best ferry route to get there - Holyhead>Dublin, or go via Pembroke to Rosslare (which is nearer in Ireland, but further for me to drive to through England from Cambridgeshire) ?
Ferry to Ireland Question - Happy Blue!
If you have a long drive from Cambridgeshire, you can always go Liverpool/Dublin as well, cutting about two hours off the drive.
Ferry to Ireland Question - daveyjp
Dublin to Cork is a long drive - at least three hours. Work out travel time to Holyhead, Liverpool and Pembroke from Cambridge and decide. One other factor to take in to account is the weather. The Irish Sea in December can be very unpredictable - the World's largest ferry 'Ulysees' which is able to operate in the worst Irish Sea conditions operates out of Holyhead, so that would be my choice to reduce the chances of cancellation.

Is flying to Cork and a hire car an option?
Ferry to Ireland Question - cheddar
Fishguard to Roslare would be an alternative and perhaps cheaper option than Pembroke to Cork with a bit more driving on the Irish side though a nice run through Wexford, Cambridgeshire to Pembroke/Fishguard will take little longer than to Holyhead and Dublin to Cork is a long way on slowish roads. I used to fly to Dublin regularly and pick up a hire car to drive across to Galway, hire car prices were OK.
Ferry to Ireland Question - Gromit {P}
There's a Cork-Swansea service too, which will land you in Ringaskiddy. That's much closer to your destination, and keeps you off the main roads. It'll save you some driving getting to the ferry too.

However, it doesn't run between 10th January and 9th March. See www.swanseacorkferries.com. Also have a look at www.westcork.ie for other ferry options and things to do while you're here.

As mentioned above, the fast ferries are very often delayed or cancelled on the Irish Sea during the winter. I'd suggest you either build time for delays into your travel plan or book the ordinary ferry.

Also, when working out journey times, bear in mind that the Dublin-Cork and Rosslare-Cork roads are a mix of national and regional roads that pass through several towns along the way, and can be quite congested depending on when you travel. Aim to avoid Friday and Sunday evenings in particular - these are always the busiest.

HTH,
- Gromit
Ferry to Ireland Question - arnold2
hmmm - lots of options ! Only thing is the actual length of the crossing - some of those from South Wales are something like 4 hours - which is the Irish Sea is a bit 'interesing' might make for a rather sea-sick family !
How long is the drive from Dublin to Cork ?
Ferry to Ireland Question - daveyjp
See my post above!!!

"Dublin to Cork is a long drive - at least three hours"
Ferry to Ireland Question - R75
Last time I did Swansea to Cork (many, many years ago) It was an overnight crossing - and it can get quite rough!!
Ferry to Ireland Question - spikeyhead {p}
unless you need to take a lot of stuff with you, fly and hire a car at the other end, it'll be quicker, cheaper and mroe relaxing
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Ferry to Ireland Question - Robin Reliant
Fishguard / Roslare is the one I would go for. The crossing is only three hours, a fair bit shorter than going from Pembroke and only an extra half hour drive on quiet roads.

As someone has previously advised, don't do Swansea / Cork. I have experience of that, and unless you are a natural sailor you are quite likely to lose your last three meals.
--
Robin Reliant, formerly known as Tom Shaw
Follow up to eye surgery question - Rebecca {P}
Just an update:

I had the first lens implant implanted on Monday. 100% pain free, rather fetching bloodshot eye, but most importantly I CAN SEE!

I should have done this years ago.

The other eye will be done next Monday and I can't wait!
Follow up to eye surgery question - Altea Ego
And the spelling is very good!
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Follow up to eye surgery question - Statistical outlier
That's very good news, I've got several friends whom I've been persuading not to have Lasik for years. They are over teh moon about this new treatment (that I have been promising has been coming for ages)

G
cleaning shower head - borasport20
firstly, thanks to those who helped with my 'copying cds to mp3' question in the computer thread yesterday

Todays' issue is cleaning the shower head, which has black gunge dripping out of it. The shower is some sort of bog-standard Mira gravity fed from the household hot water system that was installed when the house was new, so in the shower there's just an adjuster tap at waist level and a swan-neck shower head coming out higher up, and I'm sure I've managed to detach the 'nozzle' before, but I can't remember how

Before formulating your answers, just bear in mind that I am the fool who proves nothing is foolproof. I was in such a hurry yesterday to load some music onto this new mp3 player that I left the cable at work !!

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
cleaning shower head - Stuartli
Try spraying it with neat bleach first and leaving it overnight.

However, the nozzle is probably held in place with a screw or, alternatively, can be screwed off.

If you can get it off soak it in thin bleach or in a quite hot solution of the descaling products used to defur kettles and similar kitchen items.

Thin bleach is also excellent for removing/preventing a buildup of mould in a tiled shower - again just leave overnight after spraying it on and then risnsing off afterwards.

We have hard water and it can be a problem keeping limescale from getting a hold...:-(
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
cleaning shower head - nick
A soak overnight in vinegar should do the trick.
cleaning shower head - pmh
If vinegar is not aggressive enough, try Hydrochloric acid - available as Brick cleaner from most builders merchants. The stronger % the better. (French Hypermarkets are a good source).

BUT take safety precautions , goggles (and gloves if you are of a sensitive build). Very good for tiled floors as well as stained sinks and toilets from hardwater.

--

pmh (was peter)

cleaning shower head - borasport20
I'll soak it in anything, IF I can get the flipping shower head off !

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
cleaning shower head - helicopter
If its the same as my old one it has a slot in the middle of the head for a screwdriver and the centre piece is a plastic screw.

It just needs a bit of elbow grease with a hefty screwdriver because the screwthread has got gunged as well as the jets.

IIRC when you get the screw out the head its made up of three or four plastic rings which sit inside each other and separate at the circle of water jets so you can get at each side of the ring of jets .

If you separate these rings you can soak them , use an old toothbrush or a pin to clean around and in the jet holes.

Reassemble in reverse order using a bit of vaseline or similar on the screwthread.

I've been there , standing in the bath at an awkward angle , cursing because the screw will not move and nursing the wound where the screwdriver has slipped because you cant get any purchase.

Best of luck .
What paint for hardwood? - Robbie
I'm having nearly all of my old double glazed windows replaced with white UPVC units, but I have two windows with hardwood frames that are too good to have removed. I want to paint these white to match the rest of the house but I don't want to use ordinary exterior paint. I'm sure I have read somewhere about a white wood stain - similar to Sadolin - or have I dreamt that?

Does anyone know of such a wood stain? The windows are currently in a mahogony stain - Sadolin.
What paint for hardwood? - Dulwich Estate
I don't know if it helps, but the big problem is getting paint to stick to a shiny / non-absorbent / oily surface (despite the usual sanding down etc.). When I wanted to gloss paint a previously varnished wooden door I used a Zinsser primer first. Take a look at all the range on the web. It's primarily for sealing smoke and water stains and it covers very well. It really seems to bond to the original material surface and gives a good new surface for the top coat.
Thanks for your reply. I did a search for Zissner and came across Sadolin white exterior woodstain which was for sale at the same site.

I didn't think I was dreaming. Just hope they sell both at B&Q..
What paint for hardwood? - henry k
Thanks for your reply. I did a search for Zissner

>>
Zinsser?
www.britpaints.co.uk/Zinsser/zinsserpaintsfro.html

You may have to get it from a proper paint stockist.
I have only used the blocker which worked after all other products failed.
What paint for hardwood? - JH
I'd recommend Sikens. it's from Akzo Nobel, the same as Sadolin but they do microporous stains. I'm sure they do it in white but their web site is a model of how not to do it I'm afraid.
JH
I went to the Sikens site but was unable to find a stockist in the south Lancs/Merseyside area. Unless, of course, someone here knows differently.
What paint for hardwood? - Stuartli
The Sikens website lists (for my town):

JEWSON LTD
Meols Cop Bridge, Bispham Road
PR9 7DD Southport
Tel: 01704 229821

I found just entering either the town or post code brings up one or more Sikens stockists.

What paint for hardwood? - Gromit {P}
If you want the paint finish to match the PVC, you'll need gloss-type paint rather than stain, which will show the grain of the wood. Try International Paints - they do a wide range of primers and undercoats that will wear well. Homebase stock them (that's where I bought them) and AFAIK there' s a list of local stockists on their website.
What paint for hardwood? - Adam {P}
Robbie,

I don't know if Sikens (never heard of them) use all Jewson outlets but there is a Jewsons in St Helens I think - just off College Street where the main Police Station is.
Roofing contractors - tyro
I will be having some roofing work done - re-roofing a terraced property. I've got 4 quotes in.

Two of the quotes have no logos at all for professional bodies.

The other two are members of the NFRC (National Federation of Roofing Contractors Ltd.)

One has, in addition, symbols indicating membership of "contsructionline" and the "RIA Hallmark Scheme"

The other has, in addition to NFRC, "Confederation of Roofing Contractors" and "TRUSTMARK Government Endorsed standards".

To what extent should I take these various memberships and logos into consideration when choosing between quotations?
Roofing contractors - Cardew
Whilst I have no experience of Roofers as such, my experience of these Trade Associations has been negative. They exist, and firms join, to impress customers and give a veneer of respectability.

Even if they do set standards, and many of them don't, very few set scales of charges, carry out any inspections of work or have any 'teeth' if the work turns out to be unsatisfactory.

The NHBC is a major exception to the above and that might be a starting point for your enquiries.
The NHBC is a major exception to the above and that
might be a starting point for your enquiries.

Cardew
I had a look at the NHBC website, and was not convinced that it was what I looking for - they are for housebuilders like Barratt & so on. Did you mean the FMB?
No, the National House Building Council are the independent body.

www.nhbcbuilder.co.uk/
Roofing contractors - Stuartli
My understanding of the NHBC is that it is involved only with new properties.

I may very well be completely wrong.
Stuartli,
Agreed. I meant they might give advice on Roofing trade associations - if they were reputable etc.

I had a new house built under NHBC warranty and they delegated inspection of some sevices.
Roofing contractors - Stuartli
>>if they were reputable etc.>>

Some of these so called trade associations have very little clout - more often than not its members have merely applired to join the organisation because they are in that line of business.

No names, no pack drill...:-)
Roofing contractors - mare
I had a new house built under NHBC warranty and they
delegated inspection of some sevices.

NHBC are approved inspectors i.e. an alternative to a building inspector from the council and provide warranties to housebuilders which are assigned to homeowners on completion. Zurich and Premier also provide this service.

I doubt though that NHBC will give advice on roofers. It's just not their bag
Roofing contractors - Martin Devon
In 29 years of operating successfully within the construction industry I can only say that as far as I am concerned the N.H.B.C stands for No House Built Correctly. Waste of space afaiac.

Best reg's .....................MD.
Roofing contractors - mare
NFRC - fair enough

Constructionline is a government sponsered initiative but sadly means lots of forms to fill in to get on the register. AFAIK, it's not a guarantee in itself of quality.

Never heard of RIA Hallmark or CFC. Trustmark rings a bell.

"To what extent should I take these various memberships and logos into consideration when choosing between quotations?"

Not a great deal. Get references (even just addresses) and go and have a look at some of their previous work. As it's roofing, that should be fairly easy! Seriously, ask for references, pay in stages or preferably at the end.
Roofing contractors - L'escargot
To what extent should I take these various memberships and logos
into consideration when choosing between quotations?

Equally as important as the price, if not more important, is the quality of the work you can expect. Ask them for addresses that they have recently worked on. This applies to all major building jobs.
--
L\'escargot.
Roofing contractors - daveyjp
As above - ask them for details of properties they have done. Another way is to call your local Council and ask them who is on their approved lists. Council's only let contractors on to procurement lists who have undertaken a lengthy application process.

Are you replacing the covering like with like i.e. slate for slate etc? Or are you changing it? Changing the covering can mean work to the timbers is required. A number of Victorian terraces near me have had slates replaced with tiles and no strengthening of the beams has been done. The work looks great when it's finished, but one roof done about 6 years ago is already showing signs of the roof sinking under the extra weight of the tiles.
(It is replacing slates with slates)
Roofing contractors - helicopter
Tyro - I recommend that you follow L'escargots advice and check out the cheapest couple of quotes by asking them for examples of recent jobs they have done and going and checking them out with the homeowner.

Whilst a good recommendation like this is worthwhile , see if you can get an unsolicited recommendation for your selected roofers else where first because they surely are not going to tell you about any customer they have had a problem with are they?

Check out that the company has been in existence for more than a couple of weeks and go to their address - a big yard with lots of activity is usually a good sign. Mobile phone only - beware.

Ask your neighbours .

Never trust these trade associations - some may be OK but most are a waste of time without any teeth or any entry requirements .

Also do not pay money up front to your selected roofer but if possible make stage payments as the work goes on .

Thanks all.

I studied the quotes, and in particular the work the different contractors said that they would do, and selected the one that seemed to be the most thorough. It was also the cheaper of the two that were in the NFRC. I checked the company website, which said that they did work for the local council, as well as various housing associations. I then took the good advice I received from L'escargot et al, and contacted the company and asked about examples of recent jobs, and they were happy to provide quite a few.

Obviously an unsolicited recommendation would be better, but finding one for a particular contractor could prove difficult. (But word-of-mouth is obviously very useful in cases like this.)

To be honest, I'm sure all four would have been fine - but my inclination was to go for the one that struck me as the safest and most thorough, even if it does mean paying an extra £1500.
Roofing contractors - wotspur
Try visiting large local building sites and see who is doing the work, ask them how long they have worked for "WIMPEY" etc, if it's their first job find someone else but if they've worked for 5 years they should be ok and might be willing to do a little extra cash in hand at the weekend.
Roofing contractors - wemyss
I doubt you would find anyone who actually works for Wimpey or any other large contractor.
In my experience usually as Clerk of Works the only persons employed by the big boys are usually a site agent/manager and often the foreman. And visitors such as the Contracors QS trying to screw money from the client. As a matter of interest the majority of foremen are joiners/carpentry based and very good they are too.
The rest are subbies. Nothing better than word of mouth from satisfied customers and small builders in my opinion.
might be willing to do a little extra cash in hand
at the weekend.

No receipt. NO GUARANTEE...................NO BRAINER.

MD.
To be honest, I'm sure all four would have been fine
- but my inclination was to go for the one that
struck me as the safest and most thorough, even if it
does mean paying an extra £1500.

If there is £1500 difference (more) for a terraced property i would ask questions cautiously, not because they are dearer, but maybe the others are not too forthcoming in their specifications. It is a minefield that knows no end and I am a Contractor. All the best.

Regards........................MD
Converting a cellar to a room. - Rebecca {P}
I viewed a house I really liked today - victorian semi with a cellar.

Out of interest, what (roughly) is involved in converting a cellar to a useable room? (Most likely a kids' playroom). It has light and power, a window and what appears to be a useable space of about 12' x 14' The sitting room is directly above.

Your answers won't influence me making an offer - the cellar idea would be a future project - but any thoughts would be very helpful.

Thanks.
Converting a cellar to a room. - Altea Ego
How dry is it? How well ventilated is it? How practical is the access? Is it in an area of high natural Radon?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How dry is it? - not sure! currently being used for wine and storage of scuba gear. There was what looked like a small dehumidifier in the corner.

Ventilation - don't know! (seeing a pattern here?) The window opens!

Access - proper staircase down from dining room.

Radon - not according to friends who live 3 doors up the road.

The brickwork is really quite nice and if it could stay exposed that would be a bonus. There's no floor to speak of, just dirt/grit.
Converting a cellar to a room. - wemyss
Rebecca, What do you define as being a useable room. Plastered walls...central heating etc?.
As already stated dryness and ventilation are the principal factors.
Many cellars in those days have been tanked... This was to make them watertight and was basically a bitumen type material on the inner wall.
You have light and power so assume you would really need to tart it up to make it look nice.
And someone to catch the spiders?.
Converting a cellar to a room. - Happy Blue!
Basic facts

Your cellar (or technically a basement as it has natural light) is dug out of the ground and the only thing separating you from the earth is a porous brick wall. Ventilation and a dehumidifier will assist, but it is not yet the pace I would want my children to sit in watching TV etc.

You will be unable to retain view of the bricks.

The simplet option is to use an experienced contractor in this type of work. You can either 'tank it' i.e. apply bitumen to the walls, but this is not ideal in these circumstances. Ideally, you want to fix stainless steel battens to the walls and fix plastic lined waterproof board over then and then skim with plaster. You raise the floor slightly, by laying a coat of concrete on a 1000 guage of polythene. Install a nice new window that can be locked in the night vent position, or (and this is what we do in our office where we store papers) keep a 4" toilet fan running 24hours to draw out the moist air. Then you can use the basement as a proper room.

How do I know all this - see my profile. it my job to understand when they go wrong!

Any other solution is cheap and prone to failure. This solution is not cheap, but not hugely expensive as the hard work of digging out the hole was done over 100 years ago. As a proper room it 'will' add value to your home. Go for it.
Converting a cellar to a room. - rtj70
Our house has a cellar (an Edwardian semi-detached). Sometimes damp/water seeps up through the floor and walls are a bit damp. Not a problem because used for storage. Many years ago, trouble with sewage pipes ended up with raw sewage in the cellar! Long before I moved in but my wife lived here then. United Utilities replaced the problem bit - for free since it's a shared drive.

Next door neighbour (the other half of the "detached house") had their cellar converted and used it as a play room. The mirror of our house so they have overcome the damp/water problems we see. A few months ago when there was the torrential rains,.... problem with local drains resulted in their cellar flooding which included sewage. Everything including toys, carpet, skirting had to be replaced. They were told this was random and could happen again... there was no fix.

Perhaps you'd be better converting the attic? Our neighbour did that too and these houses are massive.
Converting a cellar to a room. - Stuartli
My late parents had the cellar of their Victorian property fully converted into a two-bedroomed living area, mainly because it was so dry and the additional living space was required.

It was done about 20 years ago; there has never been any problem with damp even though it is well below the level of the road and you have to go down several steps to reach the main door at the side of the property.
Converting a cellar to a room. - Martin Devon
How do I know all this - see my profile.
it my job to understand when they go wrong!

Espada is bang on. I also carry out these type of works for a living. Done correctly it can only add value.

VBR.................................MD.
Martin

here's that tenner I owe you!
Converting a cellar to a room. - Nsar
Espada's advice is spot on, but I would add that if the ground conditions permit, trying to clear away anything on the outside of the building that is up against the wall will only help to reduce the amount of moisture penetrating the walls - prevention better than cure.

Clearly you may not be able to do any major excavations, but there may be lots of easily solvable problems like vegetation,soil needlessly stacked against the walls, rain water flowing towards the wall or standing adjacent to it, broken guttering etc.

If Espada's solution could be coupled with through wall natural ventilation, then all the better, the problem with tanking etc is that moisture always goes somewhere.
Converting a cellar to a room. - Gromit {P}
Rebecca,
Also check the ceiling height - bear in mind that adding a proper floor will reduce this, so make sure you'll have enough headroom. Otherwise, you'll have to consider digging down - which will increase the cost considerably.

BTW, I'm confused why someone using a cellar to store wine would install a dehumifier - damp is better for wine!

- Gromit
Damp is better for wine? Not exactly damp per say but a realtive humidity of 70% is required to prevent cork shrinkage, a *constant* temperature of 12c and darkness required to prevent premature aging.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Converting a cellar to a room. - Mapmaker
WINE

Damp is not good for wine. That'll be the end of the labels and you won't know what you're drinking... Dry air is worse as the corks may dry out - although the moisture coming from the inside of the bottle (wine) should provide sufficient moisture without ill effect for quite some years no matter how dry the atmosphere.

If you own the chateau a damp cellar is fine, as you will not put the labels on until you sell the wine.

TANKING

Going back to the tanking question, I had my plasterer tank my coal hole (which is under the front garden of the house at basement level - maybe 12 feet long, 6' tall where it touches the house, reducing to 4' at the far end). I intend to use the hole for wine storage. He used a plaster-type render that he told me was waterproof, and then used finishing plaster on it. Needless to say, it leaked, and chunks fell off. He repaired the holes, but unfortunately the water still comes in.

He is now suggesting using a bitumen paint over the finishing plaster. I can only imagine that whilst it might keep the water out, I imagine that inevitably chunks will again come off as a result of the hydrostatic pressure. I dare say that I shall have to adopt the polythene sheeting approach.

Thanks in advance

> He is now suggesting using a bitumen paint over the finishing plaster. I can only imagine that whilst it might keep the water out, I imagine that inevitably chunks will again come off as a result of the hydrostatic pressure. >

Horrible method of keeping things water proof. It won't work. PLastic method much better,

Thanks, Espada, my thoughts too.

So hack it all off and start again? Tedious and expensive for a coal hole. Does a chemical tanking ever work - as opposed to the plastic solution? There's somebody called VANDEX who claim great results for a chemical tanking - have you heard of them?
Being truthful, whilst I know about these things, the latest innovations tend to pass me by in favour of traditional and time tested solutions.

As the space is being used purely for wine storage, I'm not sure what i would do. Does it matter if its a little damp? My father uses 12" lengths of 4" clay pipe to sore his wine in such conditions. Seems to keep the wine very well.
It's too damp for wine labels and their cardboard boxes (which would collapse with disastrous result), so useless for that. There's water dribbling in very slowly in several spots.

I'm likely to be moving house shortly, and I fear it won't impress the buyer's surveyor. What do you think?

Perhaps a layer of waterproofing paint will confound his damp meter?
Its a waste of time tanking the plaster with bitumen. The plaster gets damp behind the bitumen, has no chance to dry out and hence falls off, taking the bitumen with it.

I do hear of a process whereby the walls can be sprayed with a waterproof fibreglass resin that drys to an impervious shell.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
MM - don't worry about the surveyor. He will expect to see damp in a cellar, unless the room is intended to be used for habitable purposes - which yours is clearly too small and low to be.

As a quick fix, you could brick up the hole using air bricks, so the surveyor cannot get in or see in?
Converting a cellar to a room. - barchettaman
Mapmaker, why not get a specialist wine fridge - we bought my folks one as a combined birthday/xmas prezzie this year. It´s quite an impressive bit of kit, holds about 75 bottles, think it´s made by Liebherr.
And we get to drink the benefits of perfectly cellared wines when we´re there too...
Converting a cellar to a room. - Nsar
Mapmaker - I'd suggest improving the ventilation to the 'room' and keep the boxes off the floor. For the cost of sorting out the problem permanently you could probably buy two of those wine fridges.

Espada will know better than me but I suspect a surveyor would look at lined room in a cellar and make a comment which would imply that you were trying to hide damp which is probably a worse thing to read on a report than the rather less shocking news that a coal hole is indeed a bit damp.
Converting a cellar to a room. - Group B
Does a chemical tanking ever
work - as opposed to the plastic solution? There's somebody
called VANDEX who claim great results for a chemical tanking -
have you heard of them?

Internal render type tanking *can* work if a specialist product is used, preferably by a specialist contractor. We have used a tanking contractor on a couple of commercial jobs; they use a 'Sika 1' system, and guarantee the products and workmanship. AFAIK there were no recurring problems.
www.sika.co.uk/top-downloads.htm
I assume this is not a cheap solution and not likely to be cost effective for a coal hole, especially if you are selling soon. I'm not familiar with Vandex but it sounds as if it works like Sika; which bonds to the substrate by capillary action, but AFAIK the surface preparation is critical to it working, hence the need for specialist installation.

Chemical tanking -
.>>
Chemical tanking is fine and I have carried out ££££££££££ without failure, but the substrate has to be sound sound sound. If it ain't don't go there and ANY structural movement is likely to cause a breech of the tanking and backing renders etc.

Solid tanking will sweat and cause condensation even through 2-3 coats of sand/cement render over and lightweight plaster to quite a considerable thickness will have to be used together with good management of the envoronment within the room, i.e. ventilation when possible which lots of folk don't do these days, like the 'T' shirt in the winter brigade!!

Bitumen, which is still a brilliant product if correctly applied will fail on top of lime based plasters.

Minefield minefield...............go carefull.

Best....................MD.

Needless to say, it leaked, and chunks fell off. He repaired the
holes, but unfortunately the water still comes in.

I feel I know him. Is is richardheadplastering.??? idiots like him get the industry the press it gets, often, but not always, fuelled by customers who REFUSE to listen or do any homework regarding their chosen contractor............................Don't get me started..........................More red wine chaps?

Very best to all..................................MD.
Thank you for all your info.

My first offer onthe house has been rejected, but I am going to try again. There is already plenty of space in the house, but knowing about the cellar is useful information.

The house is on fairly high ground, so not the worst area for flooding, but I appreciate these days you never can tell!

Rebecca
WFH and the effect on feet! - SjB {P}
For the past three years I have either worked from home or travelled abroad to work.
Something like three weeks at home and one week travelling has been the average.

On finals for the arrival of the kids however, I have structured my schedule of late to keep me working from home for an even greater percentage of time; Over the past month I have driven to the "office-office" just twice, the rest of the time working from home.

So, for the past month I have effectively lived in soft slippers for the duration of each working week, wellies for gardening and car cleaning at the weekend, soft summer shoes for going out, and only very occasionally (just twice) anything susbtantial like the wonderfully supportive Loakes brogues I normally wear.

It strikes me therefore as far from coincidence that for the past week my feet have started to hurt in both arches, and for my left foot, on the outside edge between arch and metatarsales. For the past couple of days the pain on getting out of bed has been intense, only easing with walking.

This made me think; am I alone or is being housebound known to affect feet in this way?
I really think a change of regime is the cause, not anything more sinister, because on going out today, in the aforementioned shoes, the pain vanished.

WFH and the effect on feet! - Happy Blue!
It is no coincidence! You are used to your feet being well supported and now they are not.

You may have flat feet and a visit to a podiatrist who specialises in this area of work will be useful. I wear arch supports all the time, and I certainly know when I have not worn them for a day, as my legs ache.
WFH and the effect on feet! - Chicken Vindaloo
Spooky! I was saying exactly the same thing to SWMBO the other day. I'd not made the connection between having a week working at home and my usually comfy shoes feeling extremely uncomfortable. Thanks for clearing that one up.
WFH and the effect on feet! - Stuartli
See the doctor...:-)

www.drfoot.co.uk/arch_pain.htm

or

www.foot.com/
WFH and the effect on feet! - Big Bad Dave
Gout SjB
Lapland? - PoloGirl
Anyone been to Lapland? We want to go in December/January. Bit old for Santa now but I'd still like to see the northern lights and perhaps do one of the husky drives (if I can convince myself they like it and it's not cruel) and whatever else is available.

Anyone been? Any tips? Isn't there an ice hotel out there somewhere?

Lapland? - Altea Ego
No idea about lapland.

I can say however that huskies LOVE mushing. I know a huskie and malamute breeder and have worked with some of the dogs. They are probably the least tamed dogs going and if they didnt want to do it, they would not do it.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Lapland? - PhilW
"Anyone been to Lapland?"
Yes but it was 43 years ago and in mid -summer (sun never set!!)
Don't think huskies are native to Lapland (Canada instead?) But there are millions of reindeer (and very tasty they are too!!)

Not much help but these might be

www.laplandfinland.com/?deptid=16024
www.thisisthelife.com/en/worlds-best-hotels/ice-ho...m
www.exodus.co.uk/holidays/avz.html

google "ice hotel Lapland" or "Rovaniemi"

43 years ago Finland was a very beautiful part of the world
--
Phil
Lapland? - blue_haddock
I've been to rovaniemi which is just inside lapland, a few KM outside the artic circle. I visited the famous Santa Claus village and was underwhelmed with the occasion - basically a post office, cafe, gift shop and a little place where you can visit the proper santa claus.

Unless you are desperate to visit santa/lapland/arctic circle i'm sure you could find a better package elsewhere.
Lapland? - PhilW
"post office, cafe, gift shop "

That makes it a big city up there.
--
Phil
Lapland? - blue_haddock
The arctic circle was another disappointment - just a thick white painted line on the ground.
Lapland? - PhilW
"just a thick white painted line"
And a sign saying "Naapapiiri " by the side of the road?
Still, it's more than you get for the Greenwich Meridian when a road crosses it.
I remember Lapland as a huge, largely treeless area where one could drive on gravel roads for hundreds of miles without coming across a settlement. There was the occasional camp (tepees made of reindeer skins) of Lapps dressed in traditional costume, sometimes selling trinkets made from reindeer hide (boots, shoes etc), reindeer bone (small "letter opener" knives & decorations) and the occasional permanent village which counted as a city. Camping out anywhere and cooking over an open fire, and the most vivid memory is of mosquitoes the size of helicopters which operated 24 hours a day since the light was always like dusk here.
Awe - inspiring landscape and experience as a youngster though.
--
Phil
Flying the Airbus A380 - SjB {P}
Not a question, or intended as the start of "wouldn't be seen dead on that white elephant" debate, but I found this interesting: tinyurl.com/lykuf
Link pasted here for anyone else with a passing interest in aviation.
Flying the Airbus A380 - harry m
very interesting thank's for the link.
Spiders - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Seems like its the time of year when Mr Legs start coming in. My partner and her daughter hate (we'll, have a phobia) for spiders.
I spent my youth being brought up in an old cottage so I'm used to them to. Infact I dont mind them. They get rid of flies.

Every time there's one I have to get it. I've noticed that the one running across our lounge are pretty big this year.
I bought a product called pest magic thats ment to stop insect etc, but this is a waste of money.

Does anyone know a product or a old wifes tale to stop them coming in?
(and to protect my ear drums from being burst through high pitch screeching)

Cheers.
Spiders - Stuartli
One guide states that spiders have their taste buds on the tips of their legs. They also hate the taste of Lemon Pledge.

Dusting window sills and doorframes with the Pledge, both inside and out, and any areas where they accumulate is enough, apparently, to ensure that the spiders will not want to live with you.

However, even if it doesn't work, you'll have a clean house....:-)
Spiders - Rebecca {P}
I'm not bothered by spiders, but I have heard many people swear by strategically placed conkers (in the corners of each room)! Apparently spiders don't like the horse chestnut smell. I've a feeling you can even buy horse chestnut sprays in case you can't find any conkers. A conker in a wellington boot will keep out unwelcome visitors too.

Crane flies/long legs have had a boom due to recent weather so there are many more of them about this year.
Spiders - L'escargot
Crane flies/long legs have had a boom due to recent weather
so there are many more of them about this year.

And crane flies are one of spiders' favourite foods ~ hence the glut of spiders!

Try spraying Dethlac insecticidal lacquer on the outside brickwork around doors and windows.
--
L\'escargot.
Spiders - L'escargot
<< A conker in a wellington
boot will keep out unwelcome visitors too.

Yup. They don't half hurt the sole of your foot!
--
L\'escargot.
Spiders - Martin Devon
CONKERS. 'Tis true apparently!

Best.......................................MD
Spiders - Big Bad Dave
Doesn't work, been conker collecting with my kids this weekend and have a living room full of the things yet we had a large house spider scuttling across the floor last night and a horrible big webby one that lowered itself to my face level from the front door frame. When we were having the floors and kitchen fitted I specifically asked for them to be spider proof - no gaps of any size in any of the wood, lashings of silicone around pipes and kitchen units completely silicone sealed.

They're like aliens, they find a way in eventually.
Spiders - Vin {P}
Try earplugs. You want spiders in the house. They are the most effective insecticide going.

If you want to be really successful, try being logical about it and pointing out that spiders are much more scared of your SWMBO than she is of the spider etc. She'll soon come round.

Yeah, right.

V
Spiders - adverse camber
I used to be iffy around spiders, fast moving things. yuk!

I am now totally indifferent. The cure ? An unpleasant encounter with a spider with a 5 inch long body in the house in the middle east. After that the little things in the uk are of no consequence.

So, borrow something really big, leave it in the bathroom for a few days, and they will be really pleased when you take it away and there are only the normal ones again.
Spiders - Pugugly {P}
But spiders are good things.
Spiders - Pugugly {P}
An unpleasant encounter with a spider with a 5 inch long body

Yes but like everything else in this world big isn't good enough. Ask the 1 million Germans that were fought to a standstill by an Army a tenth of its size in 1914.
Spiders - Martin Devon
If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive.

MD